Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Push Email Support for .Mac Accounts on iPhone 2.0

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TUAW reports that the latest iPhone 2.0 beta that was just released added the ability to provide "Push" email services from your .Mac account.

"Push" email allows the server to push email down to your phone when it arrives. The alternative method involves the iPhone itself polling the server at regular intervals, resulting in a significant battery drain over time.

Article Link

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
Interesting! I knew the basics of Push...but somehow missed the battery benefits of it.

i'd have thought the battery benefits are dependant upon the amount of email you recieve, no?
if you recieve 10 emails every 30 minutes, then surely it's more cost effective to just poll every 30 minutes and get those ten in a batch, no?

whereas if you recieve 10 emails throughout the whole day, then push is better i guess.
how does it work? are emails sent over the phone network then? or is a signal sent to the phone to tell it to connect to the email server?

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
wow, a reason to actually buy a .mac account. throw in at least 60gb of storage for the iDisk and i might go for it. for now i will use gmail and use my wd passport drive.

push would be useful. i rarely get more than 10 emails a day. i keep my gmail account a secret so that it doesn't get whored out to a million businesses with spam. that's what my yahoo account is for.

it would be nice to get emails pushed over. my iPhone likes to fetch my emails on some days, but most of the time it doesn't auto download and i have to manually check. this has caused me to show up to several cancelled classes. suck.

so my school email, when i go to log in on the web, says "provided by microsoft exchange server 2003." isn't the iphone software 2.0 supposed to support push with exchange?

Comment

BVGuitarPlayer

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
If the cost of .Mac is a concern. Walk into an Apple Store, look for any of the 5-20 people buying a Mac at the same time, give them 70 bucks, (remember, buy a Mac save 30% on .Mac.). Go upgrade your storage to 60 gb with the money you saved and a bit more and begin the painfully slow backup of your entire music library or iBook HD (I'm guessing). All you need is 10, you should just back up documents, host websites with a few pictures, use it as a flash drive and you're all set.

Comment

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
This is great. I'd love to see gmail/google apps push email support as well, since I have both .mac and a google apps email accounts.

Comment

toomuchmac

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Colorado
This was the no brainer that I have been waiting to read.

Just getting my iCal info sync'd up on my iPhone is one of the only reasons I really need to even plug in. .Mac does it great "over the air" with my few computers so it only makes sense to extend that to the iPhone.

Comment

violaboy

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
Calendar items pushed on .Mac

I wish it could push calendar items too. I update my calendar on my MBP but sync my phone with my mini. It would be great to get calendar changes as they happen!
:)

Comment

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
if apple's push implementation is anything like Microsoft DirectPush or whatever they call it on Windows Mobile, then what the OP said is absolutely the opposite of reality.

DirectPush drains a battery faster because it basically has to maintain a connection to the tower all the time. We've seen battery life *increase* by disabling directpush and turning on regular checking at 10 minute intervals here at my company.

However, if apple does something where getting a push message is equivalent to getting a phone call or text message (as opposed to Microsoft's implementation of keeping a constant connection), then yes, battery life could be increased. I fail to see how it would be able to do this over Wi-fi, though, because with Wi-Fi you would have to maintain a connection all the time for push to work (a "pushed" request is not going to be able to go through a NAT'ed firewall without there being an existing connection, and hence draining your battery).

I think we need to see some real-world results before making assumptions like this.

Edit: My post sounds really negative. Actually i'm excited for push email, with or without battery changes for the positive or negative. Especially Exchange support...

Comment

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Holy egg salad Batman!!

Damn, I need to tell people to switch to emailing me at my .Mac account if this is going to be in 2.0! I thought IMAP was cool, I'll take Push email plz, k thx! :)

Comment

kimble3

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
This could be very interesting news indeed. Is it possible that Apple is going to make a move against Exchange? They've already added a Calendar server to OS X Server. Is corporate email next? Perhaps they are going to position OS X Server as a much cheaper alternative corporate email/calendar server...

Comment

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Yahoo Push

I have a Yahoo account that I push to my iPhone. It doesn't get a lot of traffic so I am not getting a lot of pushes. I don't have a connection most of the work day so it must not be trying to keep a constant connection with the server. If I do have a message waiting to be pushed and I wander into coverage while at work it comes down and my phone does it alert to notify me. I would love to get my gmail account to push but I wouldn't want to give up the IMAP. I love having my various email clients all pointing to the same email database.

I suspect that the reason push is a battery save over (or no worse than) fetch is that every time you poll the server with fetch and don't download a message, you have wasted some battery. If there is a message to fetch or one is getting pushed, it is probably pretty close to the same battery usuage to do either process. Just my guess though.

Comment

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
iCal

This was the no brainer that I have been waiting to read.

Just getting my iCal info sync'd up on my iPhone is one of the only reasons I really need to even plug in. .Mac does it great "over the air" with my few computers so it only makes sense to extend that to the iPhone.

Agreed, if it "pushes" iCal - this is a huge feature upgrade!
Will have to sync even less, just for the rare iTunes sync!

Comment

JPS

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
Is there (or where will be) any way for a POP account to get pushed, as well?

Comment

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
It's about time! I never understood why Apple didn't make the changes necessary for this to have been included since launch--I mean it's kind of sad when they have to tell you to go to yahoo to get your e-mail because they aren't willing to do whatever it takes for your paid account.

Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This will be really nice. I hope it does have improvements in battery life.

Comment

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
I wish it could push calendar items too. I update my calendar on my MBP but sync my phone with my mini. It would be great to get calendar changes as they happen!
:)

If you have .Mac you can edit the MBP, sync, .Mac updates Mini with the changes, iPhone gets the changes when you sync with the mini.

Comment

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
It unfortunately doesn't support contacts and iCal...yet. I think that would be a plus to be able to push sync those items. I think I might spend the money for a .mac account just for that.

Walk into an Apple Store, look for any of the 5-20 people buying a Mac at the same time, give them 70 bucks, (remember, buy a Mac save 30% on .Mac.).

Or you could go to Amazon.com and buy it for $70. That way, you don't look like the cheap bastard standing outside an Apple store trying to save $30. ;)

Comment

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
what's the big deal if you have IMAP or POP set up to check every 5 minutes?
*edit* just realized the iphone only allows you 15, 30, or every hour. if it was every 5 minutes i think that'd be fine.

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
what's the big deal if you have IMAP or POP set up to check every 5 minutes?
*edit* just realized the iphone only allows you 15, 30, or every hour. if it was every 5 minutes i think that'd be fine.

if it was every five minutes it'd give you horrid battery life. push helps conserve the battery life since it doesn't have to check the server.

glad i have a .mac account, might actually be useful now.

Comment

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
If you have .Mac you can edit the MBP, sync, .Mac updates Mini with the changes, iPhone gets the changes when you sync with the mini.

Yes that works but the ideal way for most of us would be for the iPhone to sync with the .mac account (contacts/calendars etc) without having to plug it into the computer.

Comment

jasonfj

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2004
I've never understood why contacts and calendar aren't synced over the air. Even my rusty old Sidekick syncs OTA.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.