Push Notifications not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alanisrox69, Jun 26, 2010.

1. alanisrox69 macrumors regular

Anyone having trouble with Push notifications on the iPhone4?

I've not been getting push's for Words With Friends and Facebook. Don't have any other push apps installed (besides Apple Store app -- not sure what would be pushed for that tho).

Yes my Notifications is set to ON. I called AT&T today and he reset something (which also cleared my voicemail settings -- which I had to setup again).

I also restored my phone.

No pushes still.

2. shawntkeating macrumors member

I have a problem getting push notifications from one of my apps.

windAlert

I dont have a clue whats wrong but it does not work.

3. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

You're not alone. At the very least, push has been very unstable for me. Oftentimes I get a bunch of push notifications at once. Other times none come through.

4. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I had the problems with Words With Friends and Foursquare. Uninstalling and reinstalling the apps fixed it.

5. alanisrox69 thread starter macrumors regular

I did try this already...

6. Love Juice macrumors regular

do the apps say they have been updated for 4.0?

7. alanisrox69 thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure, but I know Words push is working on another iPhone 4, different state than me tho...

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've been thinking of restoring as a new iPhone to fix the problem. I know they work, because my 3GS works 100% with all my push notification apps. I haven't gotten any on my 4G and I restored from my 3G phones backup. I've had this problem in the past and restoring as a new phone always fixed it.

If it doesn't fix it, I can always restore my old backup again.

9. ignign0kt macrumors member

I made this thread the other day. I have the same problem, except I start getting notifications after rebooting the phone. Or someone else suggested to just cycle airplane mode.

10. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I'm not getting push notifications either.
    CNN app for instance.

My old iPhone 3G (on wifi only now) is still getting them, but my iPhone 4 is not.

Suggestions?

11. alanisrox69 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually thought of this, let me know if you try that.

I also restored from my 3G backup. Right now, the 3G is in Airplane mode because the WiFi chip is broke, so no use in having the radios on since there's no service and no WiFi.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I went ahead and restored. It might be a day or two before I know if they start working.

13. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Well, at least I'm not the only one. I've noticed it too. Mainly with Toodledo. I'm not getting badge notifications for tasks or reminders. If I open the app, I get them but something's definitely odd there.

I am getting push notifications for Zynga games. Those seem to be working fine. Unfortunately, I care more about tasks I have as opposed to businesses I have to 'shake down' in MafiaWars...haha

Anyway, software update?

14. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Can't speak for you, but I did set up my iPhone 4 as a new iPhone, yet the problem with push not coming through is there. :(

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Ok, I can no confirm that this problem occurs when the iPhone it set up as a new phone as well.

There was just an MSNBC notification that came through on my 3GS 4.0 but on my iPhone which I just set up as a new phone, didn't get it.

OK, I guess I'll be restoring my previous backup since I know this isn't the problem.

16. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I set mine up as a new phone cause I was running the iOS4 GM on my 3GS. Just wanted to clean things up.

Same problem as others with push though. It's funny cause I don't recall having any problems with push when I was using the GM even though they're supposed to be the same build/release, right?

Interesting...

17. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Yep same here. I had no problems with push on my 3G S running iOS 4 GM.

And yes, the build numbers are exactly the same except that the released build had Game Center omitted.

18. alanisrox69 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe this is unrelated, but I also notice if I'm listening to Pandora (the phone is 'locked') and say an email comes in, it'll play the new email tone, which slightly fades the music to play the tone then fades the music back up.....once the music is playing at full volume again about 3 seconds later the music fades down again for 1-2 seconds with no other sound effect being played and then fades back to playing the music at full volume.

Strange huh....

19. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

No Push Notifications from CNN and other apps

Has anyone been able to fix this problem yet?
    I still am not getting push notifications from CNN app on iPhone 4 although my iPad and iPhone 3G (not running iOS 4) still do.

20. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

Mine don't work for fbook, but do for espn score center. I've removed and re-added facebook, but it doesn't help.

21. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Don't just complain on Macforums, tell Apple!!!

For those having PUSH nottification problems on iPhone 4, please take 10 seconds to tell Apple. If they don't hear, they won't fix (they aren't reading the forums here- so complaining here does no good.)

Tell Apple here:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

If you sign up for a free developer account, or are already a developer, you can also tell apple here (and they probably take these complaints more seriously)
    https://bugreport.apple.com/

22. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Push Fixed!

UPDATE:

CNN has told people to uninstall the app and reinstall via iTunes.

I did that and all push notifications are working correctly now.

I suggest that if you have other apps not doing push correctly (ie facebook, foxnews, cnn), do the same.

23. jthomp macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm if in fact this helps with push notifications? I'll try when I get home and post my results...

24. iphoneworld macrumors newbie

don't reinstall.. it's a settings issue

There is no need to reinstall or restart anything. I have no idea why Foursquare gets turned off in the notifications settings but it does.

What you need to do is go to Settings>Location Services> and then turn on Foursquare.

Do NOT go to Notifications. That won't help.

Here are my visuals for this fix:
    http://www.mynewiphoneworld.com/how-to-fix-foursquare-notifications-on-the-iphone/

25. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

My PUSH seems to work when at home while connected to my home wifi..

While at work with no wifi, only 3G no push..
    While at work with wifi and 3G.. still no PUSH

This is for facebook push..