Push notifications "running a bit late"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pfish, Sep 24, 2008.

1. pfish macrumors member

Just for fun, I sent a small e-mail to sjobs inquiring if Push Notifications were still scheduled for September, and I got this back:

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Very nice. Just the latest delay from Apple. They've only had, what, 6 months to prepare it? I really want my IM apps to be useful soon. Then the phone would be perfect.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

meh. I'm dissapointed but not completely shocked or upset. I can wait. I really am just waiting to get live Twitter updates.

4. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Zomg, your friends with Steve Jobs.

lol, but lets hope they atleast release it at the end of this month.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

so.... You don't understand what "late" means, I see.

6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Late probably means we'll be lucky to see it before Thanksgiving.

7. pavvento macrumors 6502

Aside from Leopard's delay (announced over a year ago) what else have they delayed?

If they pushed it out the door tomorrow and it sucked i'm sure you'd be saying "Just the latest failed release from Apple. They've only had, what, 6 months to prepare it?"

Obviously I wish it was here like they said it would be, but sometimes this stuff is unpredictable. They probably got a late start on it because they've been spending so much time solving the 2.0 mess and the MobileMe mess.

When companies (or people for that matter) make statements it's assuming all goes well, there were things that happened that they didn't count on.

I, along with 99% of the world would rather have an iPhone without notifications than an iPhone that keeps freezing and re-starting.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

All I know is that it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't see it for a while. Any time specialized servers are added to the mix problems always occur and are usually pretty hard to figure out.

I'm with pavvento, I'd rather have a working push notification service than one that screws the phone up ESPECIALLY since they just fixed it with 2.1.

9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

What have the released on time? iPhone 2.0 was a month late. The iPhone SDK was delayed. Leopard was delayed. PUSH has been delayed. The AppStore was delayed. I actually can't think of something Apple has gotten out on time besides the iPhone 3G.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I wish there were a way to receive SMS in a push notification. I frequently cannot make/receive calls but can respond to SMS; it would be great to have Airplane Mode and get them over WiFi.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

wasn't the apple TV delayed too?

12. luigi408 macrumors 6502

13. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

14. pfish thread starter macrumors member

FWIW, it's not Steve himself replying. I'm sure there are many people that monitor that e-mail and reply accordingly.

15. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Can't say I am surprised. People will be calling for heads to roll on October 1st though.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I find it utterly baffling that Apple thinks it's good corporate communication for this to come out via a personal email from Steve.

They need to have a completely culture shift in how open they are about developing.

Phazer

17. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

If they hadn't unveiled the PUSH notification system in such a public way, and promised it by September, I think they would be able to take as long as they wanted. Now, though, they are under the gun to get it done at least somewhat promptly. I could see a month delay, but more than that makes them really look bad.

Having said that, though, I really hope they get it right. :eek:

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Maybe they were going to announce the Genius feature in January and decided not to.... hehe. When they don't announce it, it doesn't seem like you're waiting for it. However, we're all still waiting for copy and paste because all the other smart phones have it... come on Apple!!!

19. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yup, I agree.

Honestly ... I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get push until well into the winter.

20. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

21. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Good luck with that, since Airplan Mode turns off WiFi too.

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Airplane mode would turn push off too ......

ProTip: Airplane mode (in essence) makes your iPhone an iPod Touch.

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You can now turn it back on (in airplane mode) as of 2.0

Though SMS is a cell centric communication. Dunno how they could get it over WIFI without AT&T's intervention.

24. pavvento macrumors 6502

I do remember the SDK being delayed, but I do not remember Apple giving dates for 2.0 so i'm not sure how that was delayed. I also don't remember anything about the AppStore being delayed.

I do agree, if they are not going to make the September launch they should at least have a press release, since they made it public that it would launch.

25. macdim macrumors 6502

I haven't been able to get push email from mobile me on wifi at all...