Push Yahoo?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattmccarty, Jul 30, 2008.

1. mattmccarty macrumors member

mattmccarty

Ok so on my device I have tried to set up my Yahoo account, Hell I even tried all three extensions(ymail, rocket, and yahoo) and for whatever reason I don't have the option for push mail through the "Select Schedule" area! The only two options are Fetch and Manual.

Is there something I am missing? Any special setttings on the iPhone or through Yahoo?

And yes I did set up the email through the standard way on the iPhone.

Thanks in advance.

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i thought in order to get push yahoo...you had to subscribe to their upgrade service....19.99 a year.

could be wrong, but i think that might be your answer.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

their yahoo plus service is actually the one that doesn't get push email (since it's pop-access only). the regular base accounts are the ones that's supposed to be push.

4. Pandora01 macrumors regular

Yes, you have to have a paid account to get Push. You can still set it up to Fetch at intervals, though.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Yahoo is PUSH for the iPhone and it states that on their website as I used the service prior to signing up for MobileMe.

6. mattmccarty thread starter macrumors member

mattmccarty

The thing is I know someone who has Yahoo set up, normal no paid for Yahoo account, that has the push option and its working well.

I set up a web2mail account and the push works on that but I need Yahoo because that service stinks.

7. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

wrong.

i paid the 19.99 for their plus and i get PUSH instantly.

8. slicecom macrumors 68020

Does it still send that yahoo ad at the bottom of every email? Thats the reason that I've always refused to use yahoo.

9. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Yahoo push is FREE. Use the free yahoo account. i have been using a free yahoo account for years. I got my 3g on the 11th, i took it home, put in my yahoo login and password, BAM there is my email and all my contacts. I didnt have to type a single phone number into my new 3g. they were just there. I switched fetch off. I get a little "Ding" noise and a short vibrate every time i get an email. Granted the service is not quite business class. But it is just fine for a personal account. Sometimes there is a bit of a delay on the push.

I love it and It is COMPLETELY FREE!!!!!

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

instantly? i somehow doubt this. i, too, had the yahoo plus service to access yahoo mail from my computer, and email was never pushed to my phone. after canceling the plus service and resetting the mail account with my phone, all mail was then pushed to it. i also know others who don't get push with their yahoo plus accounts. if you do, then congrats. i guess you're a lucky one.

11. mattmccarty thread starter macrumors member

mattmccarty

This is strange because I have tried all three Yahoo email extensions and not one of them works for me. My friend has a free Yahoo account as well and on his iPhone he has the option for Push and mine does not.

12. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Make sure you set the account up on the phone, otherwise if it's coming from your computer it doesnt work.

13. Pandora01 macrumors regular

Right you are. I was mistakenly thinking of setting up Mail on your home computer to retrieve Yahoo mail.

14. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

If you already have the mail set up in the mail client.

1. Tap settings
    2. Tap "Fetch New Data" (it is the 3rd one from the top, with the orange clock)
    3. switch push to ON
    4. at the bottom of the same menu, switch to "manually"
    5. Tap "Advanced"
    6. Tap on your Yahoo account.
    7. Tap "push"

That should do it. that is how it works on my 3g with nothing special.

You don't have to do anything else. Yahoo does the rest on its own. enjoy!

15. mattmccarty thread starter macrumors member

mattmccarty

It was set up on the iPhone and under the Yahoo account there is no option for Puah, only fetch and manual.

16. Pandora01 macrumors regular

Can you post a screen cap of what you are seeing?

17. mattmccarty thread starter macrumors member

mattmccarty

Ok I am using an iPod Touch and not an iPhone like I said before, its easier to post here instead of the iPod Touch section(no ones there).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. MacSKY macrumors member

Someone told me to set-up your Yahoo mail account on your iPhone when you're using either the Edge or 3G networks. Don't set it up while connected to a wi-fi network. I'm not sure if there is any truth to this but it's how I set mine up and my e-mail using YAHOO is definitely pushed to my iPhone and I'm using the basic service.

19. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Just make sure your setting it up on the PHONE, not syncing accounts from your computer, because the computer yahoo account doesn't work by PUSH, and is set up for the normal POP account style hence transferring NON PUSH settings to your phone. Just delete that account and set it up on the phone.

20. mattmccarty thread starter macrumors member

mattmccarty

I don't even us Mail on my Mac, I created the account on the device.

21. mattmccarty thread starter macrumors member

mattmccarty

Ok just did a restore, just in case, and still same issue as with the pictures above where there is no option for Push for the Yahoo email.

22. slicecom macrumors 68020

I just set up a new Yahoo account and while it works, and says push, it still takes forever (5 - 15 minutes) for the email to get to my phone.

23. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

well your friend may not be a normal user. I got a free upgrade to yahoo plus due to me sending and receving over 300 emails a day. And my yahoo account does push it gets it within 5 seconds of me sending to myself on 3g or wifi.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you have to be on an iPhone for the push feature to work. It won't work on the touch.

25. mattmccarty thread starter macrumors member

mattmccarty

Really? I have push working great with Mail2Web exchange server.

Would Yahoo! Blackball us Touch users?