Putting a hard drive underground?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tech4all, Jun 10, 2012.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I know this seems like a crazy idea but hear me out.

While I have a Time Machine back up hard drive, I'd like to have an 'off-site' back up hard drive. So I was thinking of getting an external HD putting is some sort of durable case (thinking a Pelican case), put it underground in my yard. This way my data is safe in the event of a fire or burglary. It would be updated once a month or so.

A problem though: condensation. Would a Pelican case (which would probably be put into a box or something itself) seal out moisture? Would getting those silica gel packs and putting them in the case help?

I know there's "cloud" solutions, but I'm still curious about this idea. Any insights?

2. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

3. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

That's another idea, thanks. Not sure how much they would cost at my local bank.

I just want to know if it's possible to do this. I know it seems crazy, but if I can get it to work without damaging the hard drive with moisture (or anything else I haven't thought about) it might be worth a try.

Thanks again for the suggestion! :)

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

seriously? ... keep a back-up at your parents or a relatives house

5. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Is it too much data/inefficient to store on the cloud?

6. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Safe deposit box is the best bet. My huge one used to cost around 30 per year. A smaller one that would fit a hard drive should be around 10-15. Don't bury it. Even if it survives what if you can't find it again. Not a good idea.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You only need a ziplock bag and a silica gel bag to keep it dry and a suitable box

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I think a pelican box/military ammo box and some silica gel would be perfectly fine. But if I was you I'd go with a relative's place. ;)

9. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Currently have about 500GB of data.

I already know where I would bury it. It's not a huge area. I don't finding it would be problem.

Might consider a safe deposit box though.

So having a box of some sort with a Pelican case in that (so the Pelican case wouldn't get too dirty), and putting the HD with plastic around it with silica gel in the Pelican case could work.

Yea I could even try my Grandmothers house. Well at least I have some other ideas now. Underground, safe deposit box (which I didn't even think about), and relatives house.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I know it seems crazy, but I'm just curious as this point on how to do it. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Unless you have military secrets you need to bury, stop now and take a deep breath.

11. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

[​IMG]

:p

12. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yes, in addition to the issues of ownership/privacy.

Put all your stuff in the cloud, you're open to the whim (or legal obligations) of the company hosting it. Just look what happened to megaupload.

Heaps of people were storing legal content there, and now it is unavailable.

13. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Haha. My thoughts exactly.

If secrecy is needed, you can always hide it in plain sight. Hollow out a big enough book and put it in there. Open up a BD/DVD player and put it in there. Find or create a loose small panel in your house. Many more.

I think it's easier and maybe better to hide things in plain sight since most people wouldn't think to look at those areas if they actually were looking for something.

Maybe I watch too many movies...

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

CrashPlan is 5 bucks a month and I've been using it for a year to back up roughly 500 gigs of data.

15. 2020mike macrumors 6502

16. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Sounds like an interesting idea but I would be worried about forgetting where I left it. There's a lot of 'what ifs'.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think there's too much that can go wrong with storing the hard drive in the ground.

Just look at all those "sealed" time capsules people have been doing. They dig them up years later and most of the stuff put in them showed signs of significant water damage.

Its safer, better to take the drive off site. I take mine to my office. There's family, safety deposit box, friends house, etc.

18. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

That's such a good idea... I'm paranoid about a fire destroying all my data (and killing my cats), or my backup drive getting stolen/breaking.

It'd be good to get a Time Capsule and burry it in the garden (as well a power supply)...

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Okay, so you bury your hard drive. Agents are after you and you know they're waiting at your house but you need to get the drive. You can sneak into the backyard and try to dig it up real quick but there's too much risk.

Instead, you walk into a bank like a boss and get it from your safety deposit box. Before you know it you're on a plane to Puerto Rico while agents with metal detectors scour your backyard...finding nothing.

20. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Do you keep a backup of your cats?

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I agree with many others. While it is nice to have land to bury things in, the possibility of damage is high.

Encrypt and store at a friends, or relatives house, a save place at work, or possibly even an unused car.

22. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Well I have blood samples, saliva samples, and hairs from each one.

My plan is, if they die in a house fire or get stolen I can just clone another one when the technology exists :D

23. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

LOL :D

Guess this wasn't such a good idea after all.

I really do appreciate everyone's feedback and will reconsider my options if I decide to add an off-site back up HD.

24. bgd macrumors regular

I think you should try this, I for one am interested to hear the results.

Put something that you don't mind damaging in the case to test the theory. I've seen pelican cases dropped, driven over and submerged. Lets see what happens when you put one underground.

:):)