Putting a Macbook to sleep without disconnecting the from the Internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anson89, Nov 14, 2007.

1. anson89 macrumors newbie

Title says it all
    how do I fix this?
    cause I wanna receive some important IMs while i'm asleep.
    thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

When it's sleeping, it's not capable of running iChat (or much else for that matter).

If you're worried about leaving the display on, just set the display sleep for x minutes.

3. spring macrumors regular

That's what I do, or I turn the brightness to the lowest and fold down the screen as far as possible without causing it to go to sleep.

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

There's lid closed mode, where it operates as normal, but I believe it needs to be plugged into an external display, I could be wrong. I'm not near my MacBook right now so I can't try it out.

Best workaround's already been posted - just almost close it and adjust the brightness and volume to fit. :D

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I think you also have to be hooked to an external keyboard and mouse (bluetooth or wired) but that might be only if you want to use the MacBook while the lid is closed.

6. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

7. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

8. RDiggidy macrumors newbie

I find if I plug in an external mouse (any USB device may work), close my lid, wait for sleep, then unplug the external mouse, the device wakes from sleep while the lid is closed...yeah, you probably don't want to do this because 1) the hassle and 2) apparently running a MB/MBP with the lid closed is not very good because of the heat generated.

Just thought I'd mention.