Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Hi all

While my Imac is in for repair I'm having to use my 2007 mac mini. is there an easy way to load Mountain Lion on this Mini? I have the Mountain Lion install DVD

thanks.

Gary

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Hi all

While my Imac is in for repair I'm having to use my 2007 mac mini. is there an easy way to load Mountain Lion on this Mini? I have the Mountain Lion install DVD

thanks.

Gary

Hey all

Well I downloaded Macpostfactor and moved my mountain lion installer to the applications folder and found out my version of the ML installer is not reconized by MACPF. But I had a yosemite installer and MACPF reconized that right away. so i thought Id try it. fantastically easy to install and afterward the Mini booted right up with Yosemite. But no go lack of graphics acceleration in the 2007 Mini made it unworkable. So until I get a ML installer MACPF reconizes I'm stopped

Gary

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I know MACPF recognised the latest version of Mountain Lion (10.8.5). Never managed to get it to work but it does get recognised at least. You can redownload it from the App Store if you like.

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
I know MACPF recognised the latest version of Mountain Lion (10.8.5). Never managed to get it to work but it does get recognised at least. You can redownload it from the App Store if you like.

I managed to download the installer and MACPF recognized it and created the install USB stick but when I boot with it the white screen with the gray apple logo comes up and it stops

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I managed to download the installer and MACPF recognized it and created the install USB stick but when I boot with it the white screen with the gray apple logo comes up and it stops
Interesting. My Early 2008 MacBook doesn’t seem to work properly with MACPF and Mountain Lion. You might have to do the jacks manually.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Try using the older MLPostFactor app.

I had trouble getting the MacPostFactor-created installer to boot on my iMac (24-inch, Late 2006) as well, though this was a couple years ago. With MLPostFactor it installed fine and has been running stable since.

Reactions: AnonMac50

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Try using the older MLPostFactor app.

I had trouble getting the MacPostFactor-created installer to boot on my iMac (24-inch, Late 2006) as well, though this was a couple years ago. With MLPostFactor it installed fine and has been running stable since.

Where can I find a copy of it? The link in the video is not working and all the results on Google bring me to the new MacPostFactor.

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Where can I find a copy of it? The link in the video is not working and all the results on Google bring me to the new MacPostFactor.

The thing I don't understand is I have the installer for Yosemite and after making The USB boot stick it booted the mini and installed no problems. Course you can't use Yosemite due to the lack of graphics accelleration.

Gary

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The graphics driver apparently can't be patched to enable acceleration.
But, lack of graphics acceleration does not prevent you from using Yosemite. The system works, and you can use more current software. "Lack of graphics acceleration" is just one of those things that you have to live with, if you want to use an unsupported system. If your apps need that graphic acceleration (and need Yosemite), then there's nothing more that you can do. (Seems that the graphics support is often the item that needs the most effort, and is usually the killer that prevents a successful patch job - and makes that particular model un-upgradeable, either by Apple, or the "patch-artist"

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
Hi all

thanks.

Gary

UPDATE

Finally successful in getting Mountain Lion installed and running. Using the MACPOSTFACTOR I had to use the option to install from a separate partition on the Hard disk instead of the USB stick.

Gary

Garyed055

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2018
Canton Georgia
One thing though after installing 10.8 the App Store signaled updates and I clicked ok but it errored out when trying to install the update and after the system wouldn’t boot. I reinstalled 10.8 but what do I do about the updates?

Gary

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
One thing though after installing 10.8 the App Store signaled updates and I clicked ok but it errored out when trying to install the update and after the system wouldn’t boot. I reinstalled 10.8 but what do I do about the updates?

Gary

What kind of boot issues? Does it need to be repatched?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
The update stopped when starting the install saying there was an error and when it rebooted it got as far as the white screen with the apple logo but hung there. No spinning wheel

Gary

How about verbose boot (CMD-V)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.