Putting Windows 7 on a macbook, any advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MedHead, May 22, 2009.

1. MedHead macrumors regular

Well the title basically explains it all. I was a PC boy born and bred until i made the switch this year. I was also an early adopter of the debacle that was vista back when it firs came out so I kinda want to have a look at 7 and see if its any better, mainly because if it is I'll install it on my family computer when its released. Im going to be doing the install via boot camp so any tips would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Is it possible to read files on the OS X partition when in windows? or visa versa though i dont see the need for that arising any time soon.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I've only installed Windows 7 in VMware Fusion so I don't have much advice for you other than making sure to back up important files.

And yes, it's possible to read files on OS X from Windows and vice versa. You'll need third party apps. Check out NTFS-3G and/or Paragon's NTFS for Mac (shareware).

3. iTim314 macrumors 6502

OR, you could just create a third partition, FAT32, from within Windows 7. Cal it something like "SWAP." That's what I did.

4. mhart032 macrumors newbie

I have loaded windows se7en on my macbook via bootcamp and via Parallels desktop (witch i use now vs the bootcamp) i have no problems and had no problems with the bootcamp it was easy to install and easy to delete and restore my drive back in bootcamp.
    Matt

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Thru Boot Camp currently, Mac OS X can read files of the Windows partition, but not the other way around.

However, it seems that with Snow Leopard, Windows will get drivers to read Mac OS formatted drives.

6. whitef0x macrumors newbie

Make a big partition enough partition, like more than 1/4 of your total HDD. Thats if you are using bootcamp. If you're not, then I can't help you.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...what about if you want to use VMFusion also, how large partition?

8. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

When I used Fusion for Windows 7, I think I did a 20 GB HDD. It worked alright. I kept it around long enough to grab all the cool background images they had. :p

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Don't use VMWare or Parallels. Trust me, Windows 7 isn't even close to what it should be if you don't get aero

10. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

Yeah, but setting up a VM is such an easy thing to do.... I guess the OP needs to decide how serious the checking out of 7s graphic capabilities needs to be. If it's just software, then a VM is fine.

11. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

As someone who uses bootcamp win 7 on my unibody, I have the ntfs 3g software which lets my mac side see the windows side. I ended up partitioning it 80g for mac os and 220gb for windows. I don't boot into windows much except for gaming, but I find I just store all the movies and media on the windows partition, so I can access if from mac os and windows.