Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FLappleGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
Orlando, FL
I love AirDrop. It's the best thing ever. For work I frequently have to move documents or photos from my phone to my MBP, or occasionally send documents from my MBP to someone else's. I use it many times a day, and it almost always works flawlessly.

That is, unless I'm trying to send/receive something from my friend's MBP. I've got a 2016 MBP 15" TB, and my friend has a 2016 MBP 13". If I want to send a document to her MBP, nothing shows up. I've tried every method, including using the share button on my MBP, to opening Finder and clicking "AirDrop". No matter what I do, her laptop never shows up. She can be sitting on the Finder AirDrop searching screen right next to me, and she'll see listed her phone, my phone, my iPad, someone else's iPhone, but not my laptop. I'll also see her phone, my phone, my iPad, and someone else's iPhone. But we can't see each other.

When she reboots her computer, it sometimes will fix the issue and display my computer on her screen and vice-versa. But only about 50% of the time does that fix the issue. Neither of us have any problems AirDrop-ing files to literally anyone else. But it seems to always be a problem between these two computers.

Our work around for the time being is if I need to send a doc I AirDrop it to my phone, and then AirDrop it to her MBP from my phone, which works fine. I'm really frustrated by this problem, and curious if anyone has any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks!

Edit: This issue happens both at home while connected to WiFi, on other WiFi networks, and while disconnected from any WiFi network (but WiFi turned on, as it's a requirement of Airdrop). Same issue presents, both MBP's being able to see all devices except for each other.

Also, I've tested with many other MBP's, and neither of us have any issues AirDropping with them.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
you and your friend may need to bring both your computers to an Apple store for them to diagnose what if anything is causing it. Assuming she has no problem air dropping from her phone you could send it to her phone and if she needs to air drop to you she could send it to your phone or tablet.
[doublepost=1532312523][/doublepost]If you bring the laptops to the Apple store maybe they will find a defect in them and give you both 2018 models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.