Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 is released on DevTeam Blog

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dhlizard, Feb 7, 2010.

1. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The DevTeam has released Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 on their Blog.

JB for 3.1.3 for 2G, 3G and 3GS with old bootrom.

2. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Awesome! That was fast.

So, if I'm currently running a Blackra1n'd 3GS with old bootrom and 05.11.07 modem firmware and I don't care about unlockability, can I use this new Pwnage tool to build a new firmware and restore to it directly? I don't need to restore fresh back to 3.1.2 first, right? And, not that it matters to me, but this will keep my carrier file at 05.11.07?

Sorry, I'm a Pwnage tool newb :)

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I've tried to find this on Dev Team's blog, but it's not clear:
    Since I'm already running 3.1.3, will this allow me to jailbreak?
    Thanks all.
    Edit: I have the old bootrom. Fortunately.

4. The General macrumors 601

Yes.

5. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Damn. I should've read more closely.
    Edit- yeah it didn't work (1604 error). But I pointed it at 3.1.3ipsw ... do I need to choose .2 instead?

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I was on 3.1.2 on a week 29 3GS and this method worked flawlessly on the first try. Gotta love the Dev Team :)

7. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Can anyone post a file for 32GB 3GS for windows uses? It would be appreciated.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

We are not allowed to post links to custom firmware files, since their distribution is illegal. That said, if you search for iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Custom_Restore.ipsw you should find what you're looking for. Be sure to get one that is not hacktivated if you are on an official carrier.

9. trublu304 macrumors newbie

I was able to upgrade thanks to Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 as well, no issues :D, on my 16 gb iphone 3G!

(Although I have to do a full restore and re-jb tonight since me and cydia are still not on the best terms)

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Why would you upgrade? I don't get it. There is nothing of consequence in 3.1.3.

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it's probably best to note that blacksn0w users should NOT use pwnagetool to upgrade to 3.1.3

12. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

When I transfered over to Mac from PC, I upgraded my iPhone to the recently released fw from 3.0. I'm guessing PwnageTool won't get me jb'd again at the moment. Guess I'll play the part of waiter.

13. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Bug fixes, security fixes and the chance for decreased battery drain are enough for some of us :)

14. trublu304 macrumors newbie

I just did it to see if the Pwnage Tool would work, you could say I was bored.

I'm doing a full restore to 3.1.2 tonight and then going back to the j I had before.

15. luckyblue macrumors regular

luckyblue

Can anyone post a link to the dev teams blog?

Thanks

16. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

Here you go

m

17. dhlizard thread starter macrumors G4

dhlizard

Ever heard of Google, type in "DevTeam Blog "

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

1) It doesn't claim to improve battery life, only the accuracy of the battery meter.

2) Have you experienced any of these bugs? Japanese Kana keyboard causing apps to crash? Have a third party app that fails to load? That's the extent of the bug fixes...

3) All of these security threats are very hypothetical except for the USB issue...which requires physical access to your phone and is what every one of us uses to jailbreak his 3GS!

19. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Presumably, the phone shuts off once the battery reaches 0%, right? So, if whatever code used to display the batter meter percentage is also used by the OS to decide when it needs to shutdown, would it not stand to reason that a faulty reading could cause the phone to shutdown prematurely (or even later than it should)?

So if you or I haven't experienced these bugs, then they should be deemed unimportant?

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No. If you and I have not experienced these bugs we have no reason to upgrade except for a childish impatience to have the latest thing. Upgrading your iPhone OS if you are or will want to jailbreak is not something you should do because you're bored or simply because it's there. You should follow the Dev Team's advice and not touch this upgrade if you don't have to.

21. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

As much as I am also bored and like the activity of jailbreaking for it's own sake, my 3G(s) is running so well on 3.1.2 that I will skip the upgrade. Now, if it DID improve battery life I'd be all over it.

Holding steady at 3.1.2. Might build the IPSW and then just store it.

22. bripab007 macrumors 6502

I agree wholeheartedly, save that the other reason to upgrade is the potential for better battery life. Which is the main reason I chose to upgrade.

If you were to follow the advice of not upgrading unless you absolutely had to, then we would all still be running ver. 1.0.

23. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Seriously? Major releases always have something worth upgrading for! Just stay away from the "minor bug fix" releases.

24. luckyblue macrumors regular

luckyblue

Thanks. I did google it, but i wasn't sure if I had found the right one.