PwnageTool should be out By Sunday for Mac users.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Applejuiced, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

MuscleNerd has tweeted that the iPhone Dev-Team plans to release PwnageTool for iOS 4.1 by Sunday.

For AppleTV 2G users, the goal is for PwnageTool to cover you by Funday/Sunday (but still very limited app capability)

Two jailbreak utilities for iOS 4.1 have already been released. Limera1n and Greenpois0n. Unfortunately, both utilities are Windows only. Mac versions are said to be coming soon; however, that date can't come soon enough for many users.

PwnageTool has previously been a Mac only tool. This release should also bring the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad jailbreak to Mac users.

2. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Does it use the same exploit / is as reliable as the others?

3. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same exploit and judging by the many years of solid JB tools released by The Dev Team my guess is it will be reliable.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I'm exited about that since he also said it will cover the Apple TV with some limited functionality, so maybe we could see some type of launcher app. Looking forward to it.

5. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, Im looking forward to see what they have in mind for Apple TV also.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm a little confused. I'm a Mac user but I do have a Windows machine as well. What advantage (if any) is there for me to wait and use Pwnage vs. using GP or LR on my Windows machine right now?

7. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

None

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Pwnage will also allow you to preserve your baseband, though you can do the same on newer devices by firing up TinyUmbrella when you restore.

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

That's what I thought. If there's no difference I guess I just need to figure out which one to use then. I'm leaning toward GP because I've always used the dev team's tools in the past, but I'm really not sure which one is better.

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Good news to hear that the reliable jb will be coming.

11. scottuf macrumors 6502

pwnage (at least past versions) allow you to create a custom ipsw to use in the restore. it allows custom boot partition sizes and boot logos, and allows you to install apps during the restore process. so it has some advantages over GP/LR, assuming the same functions exist in the next version.

12. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I can borrow my neighbors windows laptop but they do not have iTunes installed nor do they want it installed. If I've read and understood everything right I can update to 4.1 on my MacBook and they jb using gp on my neighbors windows machine and not have to worry about having iTunes installed. Is this correct??

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

If those are really the only differences, I'm just going to go ahead and use GP. I already updated to 4.1 and preserved my baseband using TinyUmbrella and I don't care about custom partition sizes or boot logos. I also use pkgbackup, so reinstalling all of my jb apps is easy enough. I've waited long enough and I really want to see if 4.1 takes care of my bluetooth and proximity sensor issues.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I prefer pwnagetool, so great that's coming out.

15. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

I just hope Apple does not release 4.1.1 before Sunday.....

Another reason I JB 4.1 with a preserved Baseband. Can save my blobs and re-RB on Sunday if there is an advantage. Would hate to be stuck on 4.01 if Apple stops signing 4.1 this week.

16. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

You can save your blobs without upgrading. I've been signed on 4.1 for weeks now and I only just today upgraded.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

hope cydia can get updated to work on the apple tv

18. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

You are correct, totally forgot about that. Just opened up Tiny Umbrella and remembered. Good call!

19. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

You can save your blobs without JB'ing, for that matter. TU works on all phones. And as stated above, you don't have to be on an upgraded firmware to save that firmware's blobs; I'm still on 4.0, but have blobs for 4.0-4.1 saved to date. It's the smart thing to do.

As for PwnageTool, I'm looking forward to it. There are too many bugs being reported on both of the new tools. Even assuming a high rate of user error as the cause, there's still too much potential risk involved for my liking. I trust the Dev Team to put out a better product. I have a stellar experience so far with Star, why mess with it? I can wait a while longer.

And I'm not interested in a Windows only JB. I don't want to mess with having to borrow my neighbor's computer a week or a month down the road if I have to do a restore. No thanks!

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry, but no. You need iTunes on the windows machine, because GP/Limera1n need some iTunes drivers to work.

21. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This response is very inaccurate. Pwnage tool will allow 3GS iphones to upgrade to 4.1 and preserve the existing baseband which is unlockable. This may not be important to you but it will be very important to those that want to unlock a 3gS and upgrade to 4.1.

It is also a MAC tool and again important to those of us that are MAC only.

22. atrac7 macrumors regular

Will this allow for those to who are ALREADY ON 4.1 (no SHSH saved, no Baseband preserved, etc) on iPhone 4 to lead to UNLOCK?!

I am getting worried about how some people are saying how if one has not already preserved baseband they are screwed for unlock? :(

23. The LPT macrumors regular

I was wondering how does loading a custom ipsw on iPhone that has never been jailbroken before work? ie iP4's that came with 4.0.2+. I was under the impression that the phone had to be currently jailbroken to accept the hacked ipsw.

24. Applejuiced thread starter macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. That's pretty important for 3G and 3GS iPhones. I'm looking forward, hopefully I find some nice person that can hook me up with a nice cooked up IPSW:D

No, you're pretty much sol until a new unlock is out.

25. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

If you're already on 4,1 don't expect a new unlock until one or two months after 4,2 is released.