Q: 8gb Mbp ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamjbradley, Mar 4, 2008.

1. adamjbradley macrumors newbie

2. neski macrumors member

No one ever seems happy with apple these days. why no 8gig of ram? why no blue ray?why why why why why.. get over it.sorry but im sick of people always asking. let me ask some questions.how are we to know? do we work for apple? do we know what goes through steves head? lol i find all these posts so funny.

3. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

The new Penryn based MBP's use the same Santa Rosa chipset boards as the previous gen so if one supported 8 gigs of RAM they both would. I'm not seeing where the new Precision M6300 is touting support for up to 8 gigs of RAM though. On the link to the page there it says supports up to 4 gigs.

4. kashik macrumors regular

5. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Probably not but it's always fun to pay a bunch of money for 8 gigs of RAM when 99% of the time you make use of <2GB lol.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

so have we had an answer yet?? im really intersted to find out...

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The reason is, so far Apple have unambiguously stated that the maximum number and density of chips supported on a SODIMM module is 16 x 1024 Mbit devices, and those Micron 4 GB SODIMMs are built with 8 x 4096 Mbit devices.

If the memory controller on the Mac can't count up past 1024 on an individual chip, then it can't address the extra space.

Might Apple revise that spec with 'hidden' capabilities on the motherboard? Maybe. But for now the 'reason' is that.

8. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

AFAIK the current Santa Rosa chipset only supports up to 4 gigs of RAM in a dual channel configuration.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok thanks for the clarification on that :) good to know

10. adamjbradley thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate your candor. The kind of answer I was after was the one offered by a subsequent poster regarding the limitation imposed by the memory controller.

Adam

11. adamjbradley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the clarification, appreciate your feedback on this.
    Adam

12. adamjbradley thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, wrong link
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/precn_m?~ck=anav&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

So it will support 8GB RAM, which is nice. Not seen another laptop which will do it.

Adam

13. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

I'm with the OP on this. I think it would be great to throw as much RAM in the MBP as it can use. Why not 8GB? The only reason I see is CanadaRAM's which is just the way the hardware is right now. The more RAM your machine can handle the more it would help to "future-proof" it a bit.

14. adamjbradley thread starter macrumors newbie

"The Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family supports a main memory
    size up to 8GB"

http://www.intel.com/business/casestudies/proof_of_concepts_dcs.pdf

Adam

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't even think I can use the 2GB I have. Therefore, WTF would I need 8GB for? Processor speed, bus speed, network connections, and hard drive speed are all more of a bottleneck than memory capacity. I know more memory won't speed up HandBrake, which is the app I use that is most reliant on strong guts. It takes up almost all the CPU, so I'm sure I could use some of that 8-core power in a Mac Pro. Rip the entire Friends DVD collection in like 8 minutes. :)

16. adamjbradley thread starter macrumors newbie

Not all the time, only when I fire up another 2 VMs when I'm on a plane and HELLO! they both want 1GB RAM each...

I regularly use 4GB RAM - 2-3 VMs plus a couple of Developer tools plus an Office suite regularly consumes it all (plus more)

The day I don't write to swap is the day I become productive!

Adam

17. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Are there even 4 GB sticks out (for laptops)? I'd imagine they'd cost an arm and a leg.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

In another thread on this "issue" one user posted a link to Kensington's website. Apparently they have 2x4gb kits for $900.

19. markgamber macrumors 6502

Why not 8gb indeed! What possible harm is there in asking if it's possible and maybe trying it for yourself? Man, some of you people act like it's some kind of personal affront to your manhood or something. I have two computers that have double what the spec says is the max and, being a multi-platform dev who looks a couple of years down the road, I wouldn't mind 8gb in my mbp either. Bottom line: Why does any man do anything? BECAUSE HE CAN.

20. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

As i have said before, the only way we will find out is trying! Someone like OWC must ba able to try!

21. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

22. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Anyone willing and able to purchase? I most certainly am not.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd rather buy a 64GB SSD.

24. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

4gb is the new thing right now for laptops, and you already want 8gb??