Q2 Mac Shipments Outpacing Industry?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Credit Suisse First Boston raised their estimates on Apple Computer today based on "checks with key component suppliers".

Based on this data, they believe "both iPod and Mac demand are tracking above normal seasonal calendar first-quarter patterns".

CSFB estimates over 1.5 million iPod Shuffles, 4.2 million hard-disk based iPods, and 150,000 Mac Mini's for this quarter. This would bring total Mac sales to rise an estimated 35% year-over-year, well above the estimated industry average (10%).

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
That is great.
It makes me wonder how well the Mac Mini is selling....

Hopely all of these iPods will translate into more Mac sells.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well, this is of course good news for Apple

its no surprise that the iPod keeps growing and continues to be popular

mac mini sales are good though, lets up that the iMac and PowerMac figures for this Q are as good too

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
As soon as Tiger is out, I'm sure we will see another boost in sales. Especially if the 512 becomes the base line for RAM.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
The iPod halo effect is kicking in! :D
But I wonder how many of the mini buyers that are switchers and how many that already have a Mac?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Apparently, the Mac mini is expected to account for a significant portion of new Mac sales in Q2. Growth for all Macs combined is expected to be 35%, 15% if the Mac mini is excluded.

All in all, this is good news for Apple. Their installed user base will grow faster than it has grown previously, for sure. Who knows what'll happen to their market share - I'd expect it to increase.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
wow,

apple has really been on the ball lately, they seem to be growing at a very healthy rate.

as soon as we see new powermacs, followed by new i macs then ibooks, and by the time we get to g(5)(4dual core) powerbooks then there will be nothing to stop apple!!

anyway see ipod sales slowing down anytime soon? it seems like we will get to a point where most people that are going to by them will have them... then what?

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I've got money....

....sitting, collecting interest - waiting (impatiently) for a G5 upgrade.
I'll be buying the next G5 iteration. I don't need a top of the line machine, but I want one, can afford one at the moment, and will buy one. I've been saving forever and the time is here.
Whether the next G5 is a 2.8 FX chip or a 3.0 MP chip, it is mine. :D

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
varmit said:
As soon as Tiger is out, I'm sure we will see another boost in sales. Especially if the 512 becomes the base line for RAM.
Agree with you 100%. Good news for apple, apple stock shareholders, and mac heads.

I wonder what apple's % market share will be by the end of '05? High single or double digits ?

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
Is the Mac Mini strategy working for Apple? It will be interesting to see how many of those Mac Mini sales are to PC users. Regardless of them having an iPod or not.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
G.Kirby said:
Is the Mac Mini strategy working for Apple? It will be interesting to see how many of those Mac Mini sales are to PC users. Regardless of them having an iPod or not.
If you look at my first post in this thread, the analysts certainly think so. I tend to agree with this view. I'm also curious about sales breakdowns for the Mac mini in the same way you are.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
this is great the more new macs are sold the more old macs are used by others who havent used them before

the more people who use macs.. the greater the market share will be
the greater the market share the more developers make software
the more products are released.

More is always good!

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
All right! Maybe this means more games being released at the same time especially Age of Empires III (please).

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
So, based on last year's 2nd quarter (750,000 macs):

35% increase: 750,000 * 1.35 = 1,012,500 total units
Mac Mini's share: 150,000 or 14.8%
Rest of the lineup: 862,500
Increase over last year = 862,500 / 750,000 — 100 = 15%

Given the fact that Power Macs haven't been updated in 9+ months and the laptops are running on a 6-year-old processor, it's not bad. The only problem is that the high-end systems aren't selling as well (I'm assuming that most of the growth is with Mac Minis and iMacs) so Apple's margins are gonna take a hit.

If Apple keeps this up, they may have a shot at moving above 5% market share. And if IBM can finally get their act together...

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
adamfilip said:
this is great the more new macs are sold the more old macs are used by others who havent used them before

the more people who use macs.. the greater the market share will be
the greater the market share the more developers make software
the more products are released.

More is always good!
The more crackhead windblows virus writers take interest in OSX the less I like it. :eek:
I'm perfectly happy for Apple's market share to remain low. More is not always a good thing.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Great great news - Tiger will be a boost and hopefully can win many converts prior to the longhorn delayed release - Apple needs to keep pace with their machines - watching prices and features - keeping the lines fresh to attract new buyers.

crawdad62

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Greencastle, IN
Noiseboy said:
The more crackhead windblows virus writers take interest in OSX the less I like it. :eek:
I'm perfectly happy for Apple's market share to remain low. More is not always a good thing.
That's kind of my opinion as well. I want Apple healthy and profitable so they keep innovating but I'm not sure I want every Tom, Dick and Harry using one.

Stay under the radar and let us people that DO "think different" from the masses alone.

dont24

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
G.Kirby said:
Bought my first Mac, a mini, last weekend. No iPod yet. But very soon :D
How will Apple know we are former PC users? Does Apple have some type of survey?

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
dont24 said:
Bought my first Mac, a mini, this weekend. No iPod yet. But very soon :D
How will Apple know we are former PC users? Does Apple have some type of survey?
its called 'iSpy', Apples über-secret spyware that tracks everything you do with your Mac from installing 'cracked' software to visiting XXX sites online.
All the information is sent to Apple HQ where they keep a personal file on you to use when the revolution comes....no wait a mo...silly me....isn't that something called Longhorn? ;)

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
howard said:
anyway see ipod sales slowing down anytime soon? it seems like we will get to a point where most people that are going to by them will have them... then what?
They might slow down, but there are always people like us who buy a new iPod the instant new ones come out