QTKitServer not responding in Activity Monitor

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by POWERSHAKER, Oct 31, 2013.

1. POWERSHAKER, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

POWERSHAKER macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

I've spoken with Apple since the first day OS X Mavericks was released. I installed it on the first day it was released. Everything is fine but one thing. I keep getting QTKitServer not responding in Activity monitor. Something keeps breaking.

Like I said, I've spoken with a Senior Advisor for Apple about this issue. We have done three or four things to make this problem disappear. I just don't know what to do now. I even reinstalled OS X Mavericks, and I am on a fairly new Macbook Pro. Well, I mean, it's a late 2011 17" Macbook Pro with 16GB of Crucial memory and a 250GB SSD inside of it. There's plenty of horsepower to run Mavericks, and I have plenty of free RAM all the time in Activity monitor.

Anyway, has anyone else been having QTKitServer turn RED in Activity monitor after installing Mavericks and running Safari for awhile? On a humorous note, the last QTKitServer that ended up not responding in Mavericks was pretty evil. Check it out! It's the mark of the beast: "QTKitServer-(666) Safari Web Content (668)" not responding. If anyone has any suggestions how to perform an exorcism on my Macbook Pro, please let me know in this thread. Thanks! :D

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Try uninstalling Perian and/or disabling Click2Flash.

3. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

I don't use Perian or Click2Flash

That sure isn't the problem, because I don't use Perian or Click2Flash. What is Click2Flash? Maybe that's the problem. Is Click2Flash a program or what? Please explain!

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Click2Flash is a Safari plug-in. Try disabling all your Safari plug-ins and see if it corrects the not responding condition.

5. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

Nope. Didn't work.

:confused:
    In fact, I disabled all plug-ins like you said, and then restarted Safari. After a little while, another QTKitServer and Safari Web Content not responding in Activity monitor. Have any other ideas? The Senior Advisor at Apple told me he was out of ideas and was about to send my Mac's report off to the engineers at Apple. If I somehow fix it though, I'm suppose to call him and tell him, too. :cool:

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

7. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

Did you turn off all the Plug-Ins? Or a certain one?

Because, you can not allow certain plug-ins in Safari 7. I disabled all of them, and I still got the QTKitServer not responding. It's not using any CPU resources though when it fails. What about disabling the flash plug-in? Is that what you did? :confused:

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

When I was still having the issue, it didn't take up any resources either. It was basically just frozen.

No, I have flash enabled. The following image is what I have installed. ClickToFlash is disabled.

Attached Files:

9. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

Ohhhhhh! You mean EXTENSIONS! You mean to disable the Click2Flash extension, right? Well, if that's the case, I don't even have any extensions in my Safari, and I don't even use Click2Flash extension. I do have some plug-ins though, but no extensions. :confused:

p.s. However, I am wondering if I should install Click2Flash and then disable it, and see if that fixes something. lol:D

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Oops. My fault. Yes, extensions. Try disabling them to see if it helps.

No, I don't think installing and disabling ClickToFlash will help.

11. POWERSHAKER, Oct 31, 2013

POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

Well, I just turned off extensions even though I don't have any. Let's see if that does the trick. Besides, I don't even use any extensions. After what AdBlock did to me in Safari 6 with that memory leak, I gave up extensions for good. Anyway, let's see if this works if I turn the extensions off even though I don't have any. :D

12. DEG1 macrumors member

I get this also and don't have either extension installed and never have. It's caused by something else.

13. POWERSHAKER, Oct 31, 2013

POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

You got that right. Something is going on, and I bet you a million dollars it's a bug in Safari that hasn't been patched yet. However, I'm not about to restore and go back to Mountain Lion. I've come too far setting up Mavericks and decorating it like I want. If I have to wait until the next update, that's what I'll do.

I mean, it's not like QTKitServer not responding hogs any CPU resources or RAM or anything like that. It just aggravates me, because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my computer. Once I quit Safari, the red QTKitServer disappears from Activity Monitor, but eventually after I open up Safari again, it will reappear with a different number after QTKitServer. So aggravating! The Senior Advisor at Apple tech support has been working with me for days on this issue. Today, he said he's given up, and he's going to send my system report to the engineers. :D

14. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Personally, I have the extensions I showed above installed and I also have Flash and Flip4Mac installed.

I had the QTKitServer not responding issue until I uninstalled Perian and disabled ClickToFlash.

Another thing you may want to try is to look in Library/QuickTime/ to see if you have any outdated codecs. When I was trying to fix QTKitServer not responding, I deleted some very old codecs that I still had in there.

15. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

How will I know which codecs are outdated?

How will I know which codecs are outdated? I just did find an old Perian and CamTwist file in that Quicktime folder, and I have uninstalled those two programs a long time ago, so I just deleted them. That won't hurt anything will it? :D

16. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

No, that won't harm anything.

When I looked, I still had some stuff in there with "last modified" dates that went back to 2006. lol. So I deleted those.

17. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

How can I find out which ones are outdated?

Here's a picture of my Quicktime folder in Library:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have all the ones you have except for AC3MovieImport.component.

19. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

I could delete AC3MovieImport.component, but I'm afraid it might be needed. :confused:

20. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Pull it out of the folder and put it somewhere else. If it turns out that is not the cause of your problems, put it back.

21. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

Well, I put a copy on my desktop, and I trashed the one in the Quicktime folder. So, we'll see how it goes. Crossing our fingers. :D

22. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I did a quick search and found out that AC3MovieImport.component is part of Perian.

So, apparently, you did have Perian installed and didn't know it.

23. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

Ahhh! Okay! Well, it shouldn't mess up anything then if I've removed it. So far, I don't see any QTKitServer not responding in Activity monitor. But, we'll have to wait and see. :D

24. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Cool. I'm pretty confident you won't see it again. I'll check here again tomorrow for an update. ;)

25. POWERSHAKER thread starter macrumors newbie

POWERSHAKER

Well, it didn't work. I'm still getting QTKitServer red not responding processes in Activity Monitor. :(

Oh, well, I guess I'll be calling Apple tomorrow, so I can break the news to them. :apple: