Quad core android tablets coming fall 2011. Can apple keep up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by henrikrox, Feb 20, 2011.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not trying to bash apple or google or anybody

Just read nvidia is finished with kal el and sending it to Samsung etc for testing.

Kal el chip surpasses a standard 2.0 ghz intel core 2 duo found in earlier MacBooks in peformance.

But enough geek talk. Somehow I feel apple should move to update their iPad twice a year.

The tablet market is moving so fast. I mean a tablet with better performance then a intel core 2 duo is just extreme.

What so you guys think. Android
    Is gaining fastest of everyone in the phone market and ye, what are you guys opinions?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I haven't seen a table ship yet except the Galaxy. Maybe we ought to slow down on talk of quad core chips.

3. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

When has Apple ever updated their products to "keep up"

And if any of my family or friends were given the choice between an iPad and a Quad Core Android tablet they would still pic an iPad. The average consumer doesn't care about specs which Apple gets. That why they dont post or announce the specs of their products.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd guess that if you talked with a focus group of iPad owners, "it's slow" isn't going to be one of their top complaints.

IMO, there's a ton of iOS software changes that people would rather see before a freaking quad-core processor. A new messaging system, local file storage, etc. I'm sure you've seen the endless threads about these around here.

5. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

The iPad does what it needs to do extremely well. I'm still amazed at the performance Apple can squeeze out of a last-gen 1Ghz RISC-based cpu. It all boils down to the extremely well-designed OS and graphical libraries.

Having a much heavier CPU is only going to drain the battery faster. It's not going to add much except perhaps enable full-featured Mac-OS-like apps, which will probably work crappily on a tablet interface (which is why Windows for Tablets has never worked for the masses even though it's been around for ages).

The iPad could do with a small speed bump though, maybe a light dual-core, but it shouldn't impact battery life too much. The battery life currently is amazing and it's a huge benefit.

6. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't need to keep up with CPU specs in this case, they just need to make sure their OS keeps up in terms of performance. Android theoretically needing more CPU power for an equivalent user experience to iOS on weaker CPUs would be a weakness, not a strength. I'd be willing to bet that Angry Birds is going to run the same on both OS's regardless of processors, etc.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Who cares, I mean since when do we need a quad core CPU for a tablet. Heck I see little need for dual core never mind quad core

Apple products isn't for spec whores, but rather for a complete package, both the hardware and software

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Just to clarify but Tegra 3 does not actually surpass the Core 2 Duo in performance.

Coremark doesn't really measure real world performance.

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Also just to clarify, this chip would be released so the Android may attempt to catch up. Maybe with a quad core CPU Android will not be so jerky. But I bet my money that a new version of Android will come out, and it will still be jerky.

10. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You are actually very wrong about more cores require more battery.

You actually get more battery

11. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Till you realize that you can do more multitasking and run all four cores at 50 - 100%.

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Keep up?! Twice a year?! FOR WHAT?!!

Apple is making bookoos of money off of their iPads because they are making all the parts themselves. This is a luxury Samsung, google, motorola, htc, etc. Doesn't have. They aren't forced in a position where they have to try and keep up. Their sales numbers are through the roof. They are a small company who doesn't have kajillion employees. Their marketing is off the chain. They have grasped a huge chunk of the business consumers and let's not forget, they were first to the table so the regular ungeeky world believes that the iPad is really the only tablet out right now. Apple can afford to take things a little slower than everybody else and plus with the competitions pricing, I don't think Apple has anything to worry about right now.

IF Apple were to stop everything now, it would still take forever for them to be out of the loop.

13. jreuschl macrumors 6502

Um, no. Foxconn and others mfg for them. Why did they just announce an order from Samsung worth billions?

14. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Juiced up hardware isn't going to fix Android's problems.

15. Cha macrumors regular

It's not so much can Apple keep up... more will Android actually show the "amazing" abilities of a tablet with the extra cores...

Sigh... this reminds me of the old console race where the companies would go from 8 bit -> 16 bit -> 32 bit... in the end it just began to be marketing to grab the attention of the audience.

I have no doubt in some specialized software will see some great applications of the cores... but for daily usage, at least in the short-term, I am dubious...

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

YOu do know that Apple buys most of its parts 3rd party.
    Samsung is one of the big supplier of its flash memory. LG I believe is the supplier for the LCD panel.
    Hell most of its party are bought from 3rd party. It really is way to costly to build everything in house these days and cheaper to subcontract it out.
    Hell Apple does not even put together its own products. That is sub out to yet another company.

17. shen macrumors 6502

Oh I think Apple needs to move to 16 chips for the iPad for sure!

Android is eating Apples lunch on phones! Have you seen the iPhone sales?!?

Apples primary constraint on the iPhone was not being able to make them fast enough!

Now, with only one shipping tablet, and rumors have the return rate on that tablet at over 15%, you want Apple to make some new chips, in order to keep up?

Apple is so far ahead that Android devices think they are in first because they are about to be lapped!

...how much is google paying you people to spam Apple forums with this crap anyway?

18. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I can't wait for the Motorola 32X in September!

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

My opinion is you are just looking at tablet market in terms of performance and you are so wrong.

Tablet will not be able to beat my iMac or MBP in performance.

Quad core in tablet means nothing unless apple or developers start taking an advantage of it.

Apple is a tech company and they will be ready to keep up. But.. at what cost?

Xoom is being priced at 799 dollars. Yes, that's a lot of money for a tablet. I don't care if it has 3G or 4G. 799 dollars is a 799 dollars.

Bottom line, quad core tablet is also dead on arrival unless these android tablets are priced at same or under ipad's 500 dollars price.

20. newdeal macrumors 68020

its not about power its about utilization of resources. The average computer user doesnt need the power of a core2duo in a desktop let alone a tablet. I prefer battery life over cpu power. The flash memory is what makes it fast and no matter how powerful they make it it will never be a great gaming machine because first person shooters suck with touch controls

21. entatlrg, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks for the humor.

When you find a 'knock off' that's better than the original let me know.

All this talk about 'vapor-pads and tablets ...what's on the market so far sucks, what's coming is hearsay. The only certain thing is other companies are so panicked to catch up they're advertising their products even before the final design is complete and in production, lol.

Posts like this with iPad killer this and iPhone killer that are too much ... anyway have fun talking about what 'might be' while us iOS owners enjoy 'what is'. :D

22. shen macrumors 6502

Dude, the xoom 64x, coming in 2012, with Android 4.zomg.eleventyone! is going to totally kick it. I heard Zagg is making a special case for for the 2 car batteries you hook it up to.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Outside of the people posting here, what percentage of iDevice owners do you think care about dual core vs. quad core? Not many. I'm guaranteeing you that way more of them are like my mom, people usually scared of technology who like having e-mail and access to maps on their phone. I know there's a difference, but I really couldn't care less. Most software that runs on portable devices isn't really heavy-duty, so most of what matters will be screen clarity, ease of use of the software/OS, battery life, quality connections, etc.

24. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Well, I am an iDevice owner, I am posting here, and I don't give a rat's ass either. And I have a tech job.

And, the title of this post should be changed to "Quad Core Android Tablets May be Coming Fall 2011. Will This Help Android Catch Up?"

25. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

It doesn't matter what tech specs the iPad currently has, it will outsell the competition for the near future. There are people here who would buy it even if it didn't work.