Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes claims that Intel will be introducing their first Quad-core CPUs in the first quarter of 2007.

The Quad core chip is codenamed "Kentsfield". They also report that Intel's dual-core Conroe chip which is speculated to make its way into Apple PowerMacs (Mac Pros?) this fall will be introduced in September of this year.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Josh396 said:
I wonder if they'll used dual processors in the high end Powermac or xserves.

You mean dual quad-cores? That would be sweet... Although they may just focus on Cloverton instead of Kentsfield when considering a situation like that. :cool:

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
Forgive me for not keeping track of all the new Intel intel, but isn't Conroe 64 bit? Does this suggest anything for the prospect of 64 bit applications or even a 64 bit OS?

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
XIII said:
Sadly I point out this is *the* most unreliable source ever. Digitimes.

YUP. However, it is merely a re-hash of old info, so it is probably accurate (but not because Digitimes said it, but rather because other people said it first).

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
cgratti said:
Me too, when I turn that puppy on I want my house lights to dim!
Yes! This will further accent the awesome power of the, dare I say it, "MacPro Octo":eek: :D
2x Intel Core Quad running at 4ghz each core
500GB (upgradable to 1TB) HDD connected via internal Fibre Channel
4x ATI X2800 GPU's (each capible of processing 8 trillion triangles per second) with 1GB VRAM each
PCIi (PCI insane) up to 8gbps data transfer rates
4ghz FSB
1GB L2 cache per core
8GB 1ghz DDR3 SDRAM (PC2-9000) expandable to 16GB
$4999

Purchase with the all new Integrated sensing Apple Cinema display (30" or 42") and save $999

*Warning* MacPro Octo requires 240VAC 14kW. Please contact your local electricity provider for more information about installing a dedicated power line. If you wish, you can purchase a Tabletop Nuclear Fusion device for an additional $499

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Kingsly said:
Yes! This will further accent the awesome power of the, dare I say it, "MacPro Octo":eek: :D
4x ATI X2800 GPU's (each capible of processing 8 trillion triangles per second) with 1GB VRAM each
4ghz FSB
1GB L2 cache per core
$4999

Purchase with the all new Integrated sensing Apple Cinema display (30" or 42") and save $999

*Warning* MacPro Octo requires 240VAC 14kW. Please contact your local electricity provider for more information.

Geez, don't you now anything - it will most definitely have Intel integrated graphics. :eek: :p

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Portsmouth, U.K
Kingsly said:
4ghz FSB
1GB L2 cache per core
$4999

right, i want one. just need to hijack the thread a bit - got to work out my strategy for convincing my wife that we 'need' one in Q2 2007. At the moment I have my signature computers, which are fine, but:

1. I don't want the PC any longer than necessary - it got me through uni, but i'm starting a PhD in October so will have more money. My wife'll also start a nursing job, so money will be less of an issue.

2. I only just managed to get the mbp - my brother died and left an inheritance for me & my other brother.

3. my wife wasn't sold on the mbp, but now we have it, she's on it all the time. don't thinks that'll be the case for a £3500-4000 system though.

Any experience, hints or tips would be very much appreciated

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I think it should be called Macintosh Octavius, Mac Oc for short.

it wouldn't ship with multiple of any graphics card... BTO maybe. and if it comes with 8 GB RAM standard (I predict 4 GB) it would be expandible to more like 64 GB. what would we do without 64 bit procs, eh?

edit: it is gonna be 64 bit isn't it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.