Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Mammoth said:
Hmm...

Powermac Ultra
4x Quad-Core 64 bit CPU's with Hyper Threading- 16 Physical Cores, 32 Virtual (each core at 2.5Ghz, total of 40Ghz)
4-64GB of RAM
4x 500GB SATA 20k rpm hard drives
Blu-Ray & HD-DVD Burners
4x ATI Radeon video cards, 2GB of video RAM each, 1Ghz processor each. 1Ghz physics processor each, 2 DVI-D ports each, 1 HDMI each, 1x S-Video each
12x USB
16x Firewire 400
4x Firewire 800
Quad Gigabit Ethernet
Dual Infinite Channel
Dual Fibre Channel
Optical in/out
Bluetooth
Integraded 802.11a/b/g/n/i, doubles as a base station
6x PCI Express
4x TV tuners, 2 HD, 2 analog
Frontrow
PnP Compatibility with Xserve/Xserve RAID
...and an iPod dock.

..What do you think?

That is mental!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fancy coming up with a price?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
sunfast said:
That is mental!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fancy coming up with a price?

It is "impossible"

4 sockets, 4 CPU slots, 6 expansion slots + 4 graphics cards = 10 expansion slots, 16+12+??? ports = 30+ USB/FW/Whatever ports...

What's this? "Mac Pro-in-a-truck"?

How big will be a casing that can fit all of that in?!

macpastor

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
Macrumors said:

Digitimes claims that Intel will be introducing their first Quad-core CPUs in the first quarter of 2007.

The Quad core chip is codenamed "Kentsfield". They also report that Intel's dual-core Conroe chip which is speculated to make its way into Apple PowerMacs (Mac Pros?) this fall will be introduced in September of this year.

Any speculation as to what real world gains could be seen over a Quad PPC?

Lord Kythe

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2005
Quebec
I keep seeing poor performance from the Core Duo chips, even compared to single G5 iMacs, when, for example, compressing video files, converting video and audio formats and animation rendering...

I know current Intel Macs are 32 bits, but jeez, 2-3x faster my @$$ (perhaps for booting and surfing the web!!)

I can't wait to see the real Intel chips in action (when Apple won't be ashamed of putting some in PowerMacs or Mac Pros, whatever they'll call 'em)

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
I am hoping to get a new powermac in Q1 2007, and i hope the quad cores are out by then, i want a dual quad core, but i think that will only be on the top model and i will only be able to afford the bottom.

will the quad core have HT?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Leopard Will Be The Key To Hyperthreading Efficiencies

timmillwood said:
I am hoping to get a new powermac in Q1 2007, and i hope the quad cores are out by then, i want a dual quad core, but i think that will only be on the top model and i will only be able to afford the bottom.

Will the quad core have HT?
From the excellent intelligence I've read over at Mac OS Rumors, Leopard will be all about distributed processing across 4 and 8 cores inside each Mac Pro. They believe that 10.5 will be able to distribute workloads more eficiently than Tiger ever will. I sure hope so. I am frequently using all 4 of my cores simultaneously for relatively mundane video transcoding - Encoding a DVD Image with Toast 7 while I rip MP4 files with Handbrake from the last Image created while recording HD with EyeTV 2.1, while editing out commercials from someting just recorded and checking mail and surfing. It all adds up to a pretty full load even for the Quad.

I'll have to see some amazing reviews before I will move to the 8 core Leopard powered Kentsfield model (Dual Quad-Core) next year. I'm not sure I want to give up the PPC Quad even when I move to the 8 core as it will have some lasting value as what can still run classic (not that I ever want to) and it's the world's first 4 core mass market personal computer that will still kick ass for years to come. In fact I imagine Leopard will breath new life into the Quad Classic next year. :p That's likely in fact. :D I really love my Quad. But it's still way too slow. Not kidding. :(

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
menziep said:
Jew Drops :eek:

Jew Drops?Hasidic Poops?

And why did people vote this negative? Let me guess, it was the "wwwahhhh, we want a Powerbook G5, wwwaaahahhh" contingent of Macrumors.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2006
Mammoth said:
Hmm...

Powermac Ultra
4x Quad-Core 64 bit CPU's with Hyper Threading- 16 Physical Cores, 32 Virtual (each core at 2.5Ghz, total of 40Ghz)
4-64GB of RAM
4x 500GB SATA 20k rpm hard drives
Blu-Ray & HD-DVD Burners
4x ATI Radeon video cards, 2GB of video RAM each, 1Ghz processor each. 1Ghz physics processor each, 2 DVI-D ports each, 1 HDMI each, 1x S-Video each
12x USB
16x Firewire 400
4x Firewire 800
Quad Gigabit Ethernet
Dual Infinite Channel
Dual Fibre Channel
Optical in/out
Bluetooth
Integraded 802.11a/b/g/n/i, doubles as a base station
6x PCI Express
4x TV tuners, 2 HD, 2 analog
Frontrow
PnP Compatibility with Xserve/Xserve RAID
...and an iPod dock.

..What do you think?

Retail Price: $249,999,99.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
i say it it should be two seperate processors with two cores each. each core runs at 3.2 gigahertz. for a personal computer that runs at a grand total of... 12.8 gigahertz.

newrigel

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
USA
Lord Kythe said:
I keep seeing poor performance from the Core Duo chips, even compared to single G5 iMacs, when, for example, compressing video files, converting video and audio formats and animation rendering...

I know current Intel Macs are 32 bits, but jeez, 2-3x faster my @$$ (perhaps for booting and surfing the web!!)

I can't wait to see the real Intel chips in action (when Apple won't be ashamed of putting some in PowerMacs or Mac Pros, whatever they'll call 'em)
My thoughts exactly! I've used em and I don't see where all the hype is...
Us Mac Loyalist will have to see dramatic changes to become happy with this new Intel emplementation. The octal thing sounds more realistic considering Leopard.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Dual Quad Kentsfiels (8 cores total, each core running at 1.5 GHz, a total of 12 GHz)
1 GHz FSB and BSB pr. core
32 GB PC3-10000 1 GHz DDR3 RAM
4 SATA bays, 3 TB of storage at 10k rpm.
Dual Ati X3000 w. 1 GB VRAM each. 2 Duallink DVI, and one Quadlink DVI each.
HD DVD/Blu-Ray burner
5xUSB (4 back, 1 front), 3xFW400 (2 back, 1 front), 2xFW800 (2 back)
Dual Gigabit ethernet
4 16x lanes of PCI-Express
Dual 30" ACD's at 3840x2400 each (maximum res. that DDL can pull)
FrontRow :)p )
Integrated 8.1 channel soundcard, 32-bit, analog and opticla digital in/out
AP+BT

Price: $ 25k

A maxed out top of the line PM in May 2007:D

shyataroo

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2003
Hell... Wanna join me?
Its obvious that apple is going back to the PPC970 when they release the new 8 Core Dual-cell processor (8 cores with 7 SPE's each core) it will run at 4.5Ghz and will render Final Fantasy Advent Children in Real time.

The Stats for the computer are like So

Dual Cell2 8 Processors Running at 4.5Ghz
4X1TB XATA 20,000RPM HDD
24X Ultra Drive HVD (holographic versitile disc)-R/BD-R/HD-DVD-R/DVD-R/DVD-RAM/DVD+R/CD-R
24X Ultra Drive (slot 2)
8GB VRAM on 2 Nvidia 8950 GX2 XOC (extreme overclocked) and 2 ATIX2950 XTX Platnium Pro XOC (each running at 2.5Ghz)
32X PCI-Express 3.0
64GB DDR3-XDRAM
22.2 Surround Sound
203" OLED monitor 7,680 × 4,320 with a 100,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio and .008 Picosecond response time

$250,000,000 US. but it comes with free airlift to anywhere in the world and a Rolls Royce and a custom built house.

Salasm

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
surrounded by mods
Interesting, seems Digitimes has been on the money so far regarding the dual-core chips, and may be on track to correctly predict Quad-cores by Q1 of 2007.

btw, LOL on how many members got banned on this page, four! generik, macpastor, photorun, macgeek2005.

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
shyataroo said:
Its obvious that apple is going back to the PPC970 when they release the new 8 Core Dual-cell processor (8 cores with 7 SPE's each core) it will run at 4.1Ghz and will render Final Fantasy Advent Children in Real time.

Cell processor, given a fact that compilers are not even fully optimized to take advantage of it, is showing that it's more of a general purpose processor than some people were saying. Intel could put 10 cores on a chip and they'll match neither it's performance or price. The APUs are dedicated vector processors, x86 are not. The x86 cores include the SSE vector units but these are no match for even a single APU.

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/sabl/2006/Jul/CellProcessorPotential.pdf

Cell processor is not only more power efficient than Itanium or Opteron but in most applications its 6-10 times faster and in specialized fully optimized applications it can be up to 40 times faster. Now that is impressive. Intel Core Duo or Quads are just a processor evolution, Cell is a revolution.

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
Kentsfield will be the desktop part (using plain DDR2). It can't be used in dual configuration. The server part (Xeon, using FB-DDR2) is called Clovertown and it can be used in dual configurations giving us a possibility of a 8 core Mac (not that I'd know what to do with it). They'll be announced on November 13th although that doesn't mean they'll be available immediately.

newrigel

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
USA
Kentsfield will be the desktop part (using plain DDR2). It can't be used in dual configuration. The server part (Xeon, using FB-DDR2) is called Clovertown and it can be used in dual configurations giving us a possibility of a 8 core Mac (not that I'd know what to do with it). They'll be announced on November 13th although that doesn't mean they'll be available immediately.
YOUR FIRED! YOU ARE LEAKING OUT CLASSIFIED INFORMATION!!!!
Oh well... It was nice to just act like I was an Apple top dawg hehe!:D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.