Quad Core?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rebellion, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Rebellion macrumors newbie

I haven't seen the full keynote - just snippets of the more interesting sections...

I keep seeing the words 'Quad core processor', but i didn't HEAR the words 'Quad core processor'.

I heard 'Quad core GRAPHICS'.

Does anyone know what we're getting yet?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Two computational cores and four graphical cores.

3. RyanG macrumors 6502

4. Rebellion thread starter macrumors newbie

Any boost in computing power?

For the price, i expect not...

It sounds as though it's just a graphically upgraded A5 chip.
    I still think it's a fantastic upgrade considering that they have held the price.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The computational powers has likely gone up, but very slightly and still retaining the same speed.

6. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

im wondering if this is an a15 architecture or a9 and if so what is it clocked at because right nown if it is a9 and 1ghz they are over a year behind the competion so I'm hoping for a15

7. homeboy macrumors 6502

This year's reason to upgrade is the Retina Display, next year's reason will be quad core which I suspect will be the same CPU potentially powering the entry level Macbook Air.

As for the competition? Users don't care about specs as long as the user experience is fluid and awesome.

8. applefan289 macrumors 68000

The 1GB RAM should increase speed.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So, are you saying iPad will be going ia-64 or that MacBook Air will be going ARM?

10. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

MBA going ARM

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Really. I find that difficult to believe at this point. I mean, I could envision Apple eventually transitioning their entire line to ARM, but they would have to develop some sort of ia-64 emulator CP to accomplish that, because ARM architecture on its own simply does not have the inherent power needed for another Rosetta-like software based emulator. To make a MBA that is not capable of running Mac coded software makes no sense, an ARM-based MacBook Air would just be an iDevice with a couple extra connection points and a keyboard. Sorry, not seeing it just yet.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Your post suggests you're pretty ignorant on electronics in general. Currently it doesn't make a lot of sense to do something like that with the Air. Scaling the chip to make it closer to an appropriate sidegrade will kill a lot of the cost/battery life advantages. Haswell should be a significant upgrade to the ulv end as well. While it's fully possible that both solutions will be tested, your foregone conclusions are still nonsense. Unless you plan to run it via a keyboard version of IOS, your performance is likely to suck. I am not sure why there is a desire to see this anyway. It seems like ARM has just become a trendy term due to its performance in very lean mobile operating systems. I also don't see it bringing the price down much. It flows nicely with the higher end of the ipad line.

:rolleyes: As much are you guys seem to want this, 64 bit isn't the only thing preventing it, although it seems to be the next item to be addressed by ARM according to their roadmap. Of course the questions that follow include whether it'll be a true 64 bit soc, and how IOS will transition there. If you look at OSX as an example, every thing from Tiger Apple just served 64 bit kool-aid. I use Macs too, but some of their marketing is really ridiculous in the amount of detail that is left out.