Quake 3 on your iphone/ipod.. need i say more?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nieval, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Nieval macrumors 6502

2. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Not buying it.

Although it'll be cool if it is.

3. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

4. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

5. FoxyApple macrumors newbie

:rolleyes: catching up every company would kill to have iphone's sales record.

but oh they dont have quake they are a dinosaur :rolleyes:

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nah. I've been playing Quake 1 and 2 on my DS which has more buttons than the iPhone. It doesn't work very well at all or at least nowhere near the PC/Mac version. Plus the lack of a 2nd screen for the iPhone will mean your finger is over a lot of the action.

I'll skip.

7. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I think you really need to look at the sales figures for 'phones globally.

It'll stop you looking a bit silly.

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

6% of the global smartphone market isn't too shabby for a company that has been making phones for less than a year.

But Quake is nothing to get excited about. If I see COD4 running on an iPhone, then I will be impressed.

9. DCSMAC macrumors member

thats sick...a macbook probably couldnt even play that.

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Hahaha. I love how you went from "FAKE! TOO BAD THAT'S NOT REAL!"
    to
    "Yeah duh it's real, not even a big deal, been there done that,"
    Pretty quickly.

Other "smart"phone companies are going to be trying to "catch up" with the iPhone for years.
    The iPhone will soon become to smartphone what the iPod is to mp3 players.
    Sure there are other options, but why would you want them?

11. punter macrumors 6502

i hope it's real and i hope it becomes a download. that would be sweet!

12. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

It's 'cos I was wrong and can admit it.

Really? Let's see...

Symbian... has an SDK and has had for years. Thousands of applications. Also the 'phones it appears on account for about 70% of the smartphone market.

Yeah, they'll be playing catch up. :rolleyes:

Here's news for you: It's a totally different market. They won't dominate for the same reason Macs don't dominate the PC market - price, incompatibility and lock in.

Yup, I chose an N95 over an iPhone because for me it's a better choice. I'll see what the iPhone 2 has to offer when it comes out and then make a choice.

See, the difference between me and you is that I know when I'm wrong. Hope this post has been instructive!

13. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I hope it will be available for the touch as well, ive been a quake fan.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Brb, I'm going to go join a Windows fan forum and talk about how much better Mac stuff are.

It'll definitely be out for the iPod Touch too.

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Exactly.
    Bongobanger thinks he wants to be the new KDarling.

16. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Look, son, you've already made a fool of yourself, don't compound it.

Incidentally, raggedjimmi - the N95 is a Symbian phone, not Windows. Just so you know. :)

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know that and I didn't indicate that it was otherwise.

18. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

So why the Windows remarks since they had nothing to do with the comment?

Anyway, has anyone confirmed this is real yeat and, if so, where can you get it?

19. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

With all due respect, I think the thing you are missing when the previous poster said that the other phone companies will be playing catch up to the iPhone is, the iPhone's user experience. It's elegant simplicity. THAT's what it's all about and THAT's what the other cell companies will be playing catch up to. Using your statement, "Symbian has had an SDK for years," I would say more importantly, Symbian, Windows Mobile and all of the cell phone makers have had a big head start and many, many chances to do a cell phone right... and look what happens when a company like Apple releases their first cell phone. The buzz, the press, the high user satisfaction. Just about every TV show features one and now all of the other cell phone makers are trying to make their own "iPhone clone" (and failing at it so far.*) There is something to be said for all of that.

(*You can't just add a touch screen and say "This is as good as an iPhone". It's about the convergence of Apple's engineering and design; with multi-touch, their OS X, their software integration, etc. something Apple has been doing for years with their Macs and cell phone companies ARE just now trying to catch up to it; the user experience.)

And it is very much like the iPod market. When the iPod first came out many of the same people that bash on the iPhone had the same argument with the iPod; that there were better MP3 players with bigger storage, cheaper prices and not locked into a certain [Apple's] audio format, and yet with all of that, the iPod STILL took over due to it's elegant simplicity and integration with iTunes... as the iPhone will too.

As for Macs, in case you missed the news, while Apple's laptop sales have been consistently up by 34% for the last couple of years, the rest of the PC laptop industry's sales have been down by 14%, so the Mac line is also gaining market share and will probably have majority share by 2010 if not sooner...

20. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

21. James L macrumors 6502a

One of the early posts that started the "catching up" debate referred specifically to sales figures.

Majority share? Umm...no. Can you quote the sales figures so we can all see them please?

22. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Umm... maybe. How do you know "no" for sure? I didn't say they have majority share now in Laptops, this is just my prediction based on the current and past trends. I could be wrong. But for you to say a definitive no shows ignorance. And if you do a bit of research you'll see numerous posts and news articles relating to Apple's Laptop sales increase percentage vs other PC laptop sales decline.

23. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

My percentages may be a little off since there has been so many different stories and analysts slicing the pie in different ways (some saying Apple sales in all are up 34% from previous years, some saying 60%, some saying laptop sales up 14%) but over all as I was trying to state, Apple is on a roll and is finally gaining in market share while the rest of the PC industry is slowing down:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/03/18/apple-spanks-rest-of-computer-industry-in-february-sales

http://www.i4u.com/article15562.html

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/04/01/analyst-apples-us-consumer-market-share-now-21-percent/

24. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I agree with that - the iPhone's ease of use is what sets it apart. However, I was referring to third party apps and sales as has been pointed out.

It doesn't do that well in the markets where Nokia has a significant presence.

Agree here. However, their also making phones which are nothing like the iPhone too for varying market segments.

No for three reasons - iTunes dominated the digital download market and integrated with the iPod, the digital download market was a new market without existing major players and iPods aren't subscription based devices. The iPhone won't dominate for the same reasons the Mac doesn't dominate the PC market - lock in, incompatibility and non-standard features.

Actually I've studied not just the news but the global PC sales figures. Apple was ninth in global laptop sales and every other manufacturer - with the exception of Toshiba - grew sales by over 30% in 2007. Apple grew sales by 38% which was third behind HP and Asus and about equal with Lenovo in Q4 2007. Global sales of laptops in 2007 grew by 41%.

As far as overall PC sales were concerned, I attach IDC's report:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp;jsessionid=DVBUOGTISLQ00CQJAFICFGAKBEAUMIWD?containerId=prUS21041708

Apple's growth is good but to suggest they'll have a majority share is nonsense. You shouldn't believe the hype particularly when you consider the figures you quote are retail sales and don't include any on-line sales (which is all of Dell's market virtually) and the predictions of Apple's market share are made by Gene 'Comedy' Munster who has a somewhat optimistic view of things. The actual Mac market share is about 6% as per the attached with a comparable user base:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7193862.stm#pcgraphic

25. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Maybe I am being more U.S. centric than WorldWide centric, but all I was stating is what is also quoted on many other sites including yet another one:

source: http://blog.wired.com/business/2007/10/apples-market-1.html

My only point was that Apple is steadily out pacing it's competitors for a very good reason, it's elegant simplicity in design. And I do think that they will have majority share by 2010 (as an individual manufacturer vs other individual manufacturers. In other words, more Apple PC's than HP PCs or than Toshiba PCs, not of Windows-based PCs overall... yet.)

But I think we are all getting way off topic and there are tons of other threads that deal with this particular subject better than I have here...