Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Qualcomm Chip Embargo To Boost iPhone?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A ruling today by the U.S. International Trade Commission to ban new models of phones with 3G chips from Qualcomm could have a positive impact on Apple's iPhone, some are suggesting.

The ban came due to a patent infringment case brought by rival Broadcom, who claimed Qualcomm's 3G chips used Broadcom's patented power management technology. Samsung and LG both are expected to take the brunt of the ruling, with Motorola also expected to see reduced sales if the ruling is upheld. Carriers impacted by the ban include Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel.

Apple and AT&T will be launching the much-hyped iPhone on June 29th, and competitors are scrambling to launch their answers, which will no doubt see further delays if the ruling stands.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
i wish this dumb phone would come out asap. i'm sick of seeing these stories.

i come on, get all excited about a new rumor, then, BAM !!!, more iphone junk.

Comment

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Apple and AT&T will be launching the much-hyped iPhone on June 29th, and competitors are scrambling to launch their answers, which will no doubt see further delays if the ruling stands.

That was my first thought when I saw this story yesterday. There must be some Verizon executives swearing up a storm right now.

Comment

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Why would the other carriers be concerned about losing 3G phones... the iPhone is NOT 3G...

If anything this makes the Treo 750 and Cingular 8525 even more valuable than the iPhone... LOL.

Comment

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Wow! Never thought I would say this, but yeah, I agree. Nice move :apple: !!!! Very happy for them. Now I want the iPhone more than ever!:cool:

It is a nice move on Apple's part indeed! And I can't wait for the iPhone to release either, and I wish it would release sooner because I am very anxious to get it!

Comment

massiv

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2006
yes actually a great deal of things can…

stop it. Did you read the book that employees of the only cell co. to agree to Apple's terms are being provided with? the content of the manuals is not very favorable to this very over-hyped electronics device. don't get me wrong, i am a huge apple/mac fan. i bought a powerbook g4 while in college (with my own $$ =) and than a Mac Pro when my designing career became lucrative. I love the apple state of mind and the products that cupertino produce. But! =)

i'm starting to think that Apple is betting too much on the input nature of this device and not the innovation of the feature set. According to the manuals thus provided (yes more things are due at launch which is BS because for $600 i shouldn't be lead by a leash) there is not much more that the iphone does better. in fact, it appears at first glance (yes more to come i know and also please stop defending the features just b/c they are apple) that this thing is rather bland if not blah! the truth is if this provides less essential features than the rest, i must say pass. and if Apple releases the iphone with a much more exciting feature set (that is useful and news worthy) than i will say bravo. but also in my mind will think FU. ok new product releases, cool surprise me. but at 3 weeks and counting, for a product announced months and months ago, i should have every reason to buy this thing in the bag. Sorry for the rants but i was so pumped to buy this thing that these latest spec reports are causing massiv doubt.

Comment

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Time for some analyst to set Apple's target price to $250. Can you imagine how many iPhones will sell if all of Apple's competitors are forced to redesign all of their upcoming phones to use old technology, then get regulatory approval? If this ruling is not overturned, the iPhone could be the iPod all over again!

Comment

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Why would the other carriers be concerned about losing 3G phones... the iPhone is NOT 3G...

If anything this makes the Treo 750 and Cingular 8525 even more valuable than the iPhone... LOL.

Ummm...

3G was one of the obvious advantages of some of other providers' phones. Since they won't be able to import any 3G phones for a while, that advantage against iPhone is eliminated, making iPhone more attractive.

Comment

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Ummm...

3G was one of the obvious advantages of some of other providers' phones. Since they won't be able to import any 3G phones for a while, that advantage against iPhone is eliminated, making iPhone more attractive.

So, you're admitting the only way the iphone can 'win' is by the other carriers being restricted in their offerings???

Pretty weak position I would say...

Comment

pieman02

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
So, you're admitting the only way the iphone can 'win' is by the other carriers being restricted in their offerings???

Pretty weak position I would say...

...well Ide say that what he is saying here is the entire point of the article...it says that because a 3G (which isn't in the iPhone) chip provider will not be able to supply to make phones...how can iPhone's competition 'win' if it cannot be manufactured, at least with 3G (which is part of the reason people buy the phone)?

Comment

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
I don't see how people can vote positive on this. Because of some patent dispute there is/will be less consumer choice and less availability on data-centric phones. This decreases competition and will probably drive up prices.

How is this a good thing? Sure it helps apple make money selling their iphone, but it doesn't help anyone interested in buying a phone.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
All I can say is this was a stroke of luck for Apple. Can you imagine if the iPhone was affected by this? Months of preparation for its launch would've been down the drain.

Comment

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
Couldn't help notice that the two most affected carriers are the ones using CDMA. So am I to assume, then, that the GSMers primarily use Broadcom?

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Conspiracy ;)

This is a conspiracy ;) Al Gore now on Apple's board and he is obviously calling his political connections ;) hehe

Comment

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
The only way it helps Apple is via Crapular customers. No one is going to jump from carrier to carrier for a short term shortage. And this WILL be short term. The amount of money involved here guarantees this.

Comment

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
I don't know if anybody noticed but Qualcomm stock ins't going down, it's up 2%. I think most investors don't see this ruling holding up. Although if it does stand it would probably benefit AT&T, if anyone. I bet it'll be overturned, nobody enforces patents or IP anyway...:rolleyes:

Comment

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Regardless of this news, lack of 3G in the iPhone is pretty weak. Maybe people will let that pass in the US but in Asia and Europe where 3G is the norm for mid to high end phones (and HSDPA, 3.5G is the norm for a high end phone), the market is likely to be less forgiving.

Having said that, only time will tell.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.