Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Qualcomm today introduced the Snapdragon X65, the world's first 10 Gigabit 5G modem and antenna system for smartphones, enabling theoretical data speeds up to 10 gigabits per second. Apple will likely use the Snapdragon X65 in 2022 iPhones.

qualcomm-snapdragon-x65-10-gigabit-5g.jpg

While real-world download speeds will likely remain far below the peak of 10 gigabits per second, devices equipped with the Snapdragon X65 should see faster 5G speeds overall. The modem has many other benefits, too, including improved power efficiency, enhanced coverage for both mmWave and sub-6 GHz bands, and support for all global commercialized mmWave frequencies, including the new n259 (41 GHz) band.

As with the previous-generation Snapdragon X60, the X65 can aggregate data from mmWave and sub-6GHz bands simultaneously to achieve an optimal combination of high-speed and low-latency coverage. The modem is paired with Qualcomm's new fourth-generation mmWave antenna module for extended mmWave coverage and power efficiency.

mmWave is a set of 5G frequencies that promise ultra-fast speeds at short distances, making it best suited for dense urban areas. By comparison, sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave, but the signals travel further, better serving suburban and rural areas. mmWave support on iPhone 12 models is limited to the United States, but rumors suggest that iPhone 13 models may support mmWave in additional countries.

In 2019, Apple and Qualcomm settled a legal battle and reached a multiyear chipset supply agreement, paving the way for Apple to use Qualcomm's 5G modems, starting with the Snapdragon X55 in iPhone 12 models. Beyond that, a court document from the settlement revealed that Apple will likely use the Snapdragon X60 modem for 2021 iPhones, followed by the Snapdragon X65 in 2022 iPhones.

The Snapdragon X65 could be the last Qualcomm modem used in iPhones, as Barclays analysts and multiple other sources have forecasted that Apple will switch to its own in-house 5G modem for iPhones by 2023.

Article Link: Qualcomm Debuts World's First 10 Gigabit 5G Modem, Destined for 2022 iPhones

Last edited:

TarJac333

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2021
Hmm.... I can already imagine it now..
2021: Huawei with Snapdragon X65
2021: Samsung with Snapdragon X65
2021: OnePlus with Snapdragon X65
2021: Huawei with Snapdragon X65
2021: Google Pixel with Snapdragon X65
2022: iPhone with Snapdragon X65: "Innovation"

Comment

bookofxero

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2017
Practically speaking I need those speeds in my iPhone about as much as I need a smaller battery.

Anyone here that actually have a legit reason for such a speedy iPhone?
Do you live in a major metropolitan area with good wired options? This would be great for suburban and rural areas once the coverage is there. If I had access to those types of speeds and that level of service, I would get a tethering plan and get away from all the Spectrum headaches (Spectrum Charter - oddly enough, Spectrum TW was actually acceptable a good chunk of the time).

Reactions: BeefCake 15
Comment

BuffaloTF

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2008
Practically speaking I need those speeds in my iPhone about as much as I need a smaller battery.

I see this moreso about freeing up the airwaves quicker to be able to serve more people before it slows. Using round numbers for ease... if my download takes 1 second instead of 10, a very simple view of this says 9 others can occupy my remaining 9 seconds at the same level of service that I had been given.

Comment

chucker23n1

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2014
We’ve consumed the same amount of data online since the 90s. All of these speed increases are such a waste.

/s
No, but both on my iPhones with 3G and my iPhones with LTE, I rarely find myself exceeding ~50 Mbit/s. The main benefit of LTE was much lower latency.

I don't currently see the big use cases of a 200-fold increase of my current typical bandwidth in city centers, on a phone.

It might be a different story if future MacBooks finally include cellular, though.

Reactions: BeefCake 15
Comment

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
🇸🇪
Do you live in a major metropolitan area with good wired options? This would be great for suburban and rural areas once the coverage is there. If I had access to those types of speeds and that level of service, I would get a tethering plan and get away from all the Spectrum headaches (Spectrum Charter - oddly enough, Spectrum TW was actually acceptable a good chunk of the time).
Good point; however…

These numbers are usually theoretical maxes in heavily covered area; anyone in a last mile type of a situation will not be getting any super-speeds.

As older networks are removed, to free up frequencies for newer tech, those in rural areas might even lose what they have without it immediately getting replaced.

Reactions: GrumpyMom
Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

If speed was the only claimed improvement of the modem then you might have point. Might. Imo for that point to be valid you have to ignore that besides speed they claimed improvement in other areas:
The modem has many other benefits, too, including improved power efficiency, enhanced coverage for both mmWave and sub-6 GHz bands, and support for all global commercialized mmWave frequencies, including the new n259 (41 GHz) band.
Surely one of those attributes appeals to you even if the speed improvements don't.

Comment

synergize

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010

Marketing gimmick...look, I can do this and you can't must hook a lot of consumers.

Comment

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Need for speed: Cloud based document storage. I get 70 mbps down now and it takes a few min just to pull up the files.

Comment

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
🇸🇪
If speed was the only claimed improvement of the modem then you might have point. Might. Imo for that point to be valid you have to ignore that besides speed they claimed improvement in other areas: […]

Surely one of those attributes appeals to you even if the speed improvements don't.
Never said anything about any other features, just discussing one of them; and especially that one that seems absolutely ridiculous to want to have in ones phone.

Comment

and 1989 others

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2016
Great, now we can refresh Mac rumours a fraction of a second faster. Woo hoo.

My 4G can download at 85Mbps, thats plenty fast enough for anything and everything.

Like installing a V12 engine in the car you only use to visit the supermarket.

Reactions: Olz and Realityck
Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68030
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What’s more important is the carrier aggregation and power efficiency.

Apple’s timing is off with Qualcomm on modems, so this year’s iPhone would always have the tail end of the “previous” gen modem. It’s also why Samsung releases their phones in the early part of the year, so they can get first dip in the latest Qualcomm SoC (and the latest gen modem) at the first round.

Luckily, seems like majority of the improvements will be on the X60 modem. The X65 seems more minor, compared to the X55 to X60.

Reactions: xmach and svanstrom
Comment

saudor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
only 10gig my phone?! Come on, wake me up when it's 1 Tbit. I absolutely MUST have ALL the terror bites!!

Comment

calstanford

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
It's a freaking cellphone. Last thing a tiny screen phone needs is 8-16GB of RAM and 10gigabit 5G. This is just specs for dick measuring contests, but not for actual usage.

Reactions: brucemr
Comment

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
We’ve consumed the same amount of data online since the 90s. All of these speed increases are such a waste.

/s

Not possible. Just browsing a single typical website from the 90's vs a typical website today, the one today will use 2x - 5x the bandwidth just on the assets alone. Screen resolutions are higher and images are higher resolution with more detail meaning larger file size. Websites loads more assets today because your devices can vs. back then and most a lot of websites today have dynamic content because they are interactive in some way.

Here is a good one for debunking this: https://www.opensignal.com/2020/10/...-to-27x-more-mobile-data-compared-to-4g-users

The faster you go the more data you are likely to consume.

Comment

chucker23n1

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2014
Not possible. Just browsing a single typical website from the 90's vs a typical website today, the one today will use 2x - 5x the bandwidth just on the assets alone. Screen resolutions are higher and images are higher resolution with more detail meaning larger file size. Websites loads more assets today because your devices can vs. back then and most a lot of websites today have dynamic content because they are interactive in some way.

Here is a good one for debunking this: https://www.opensignal.com/2020/10/...-to-27x-more-mobile-data-compared-to-4g-users

The faster you go the more data you are likely to consume.
It's on thing not to notice sarcasm, but not to notice it when a message explicitly ends with "/s"?

Reactions: 69Mustang
Comment

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
It's a freaking cellphone. Last thing a tiny screen phone needs is 8-16GB of RAM and 10gigabit 5G. This is just specs for dick measuring contests, but not for actual usage.

You might think of it as just a "freaking cellphone" but to most of the world it's the primary computing device for people. So there is a need for 8 - 16gb of ram, fast CPU and fast networking because they are using it all day.

In many areas of daily life people are using this freaking cellphone as a tool they depend on for work with applications that need that amount of ram, storage and CPU.

Reactions: ian87w
Comment

xmach

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2020
10 Gb/s isn’t terribly relevant for most of today’s applications. However, we’ve seen increasing rumors of late regarding Apple’s VR and AR efforts. Not hard to imagine either of those requiring bandwidth on the order of what’s being discussed for this X65 modem (and presumably also Apple’s own upcoming modem). So, this is about preparing for future directions (especially VR/AR), not downloading today’s content a fraction of a second faster.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.