Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Qualcomm Looking to Supply Chips for iPhone?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Bloomberg reports that Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs has acknowledged that the company is in talks to bring its chips to the iPhone.
"We continue to discuss it, but haven't made it yet," Jacobs said in a Bloomberg Television interview in Hong Kong today. "Hopefully, in the future, we will have the opportunity."
The vaguely worded statement makes it unclear whether Qualcomm is making a specific push for the iPhone or if Jacobs is simply acknowledging that the company is always looking for new opportunities for its products, wherever they may be.

Qualcomm is the company behind the CDMA2000 3G technology used by Verizon and Sprint for their wireless networks, lending hope to U.S. users hoping for an iPhone capable of being deployed on those companies' networks. It appears doubtful, however, that a CDMA2000-based iPhone would be able to make an appearance before the technology begins to be phased out in favor of the LTE 4G technology that vendors worldwide are coalescing around.

Article Link: Qualcomm Looking to Supply Chips for iPhone?

SooneratND

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
That would appear to end the speculation of a Verizon iPhone anytime in the next year or so. I don't see them prototyping and then ramping up to full production all in 2010 if they don't even have a single chip on hand yet.

Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
No surprise

This should be no surprise to anyone here. It has been said that Qualcomm didn't give Apple the price break they wanted on the first generation iPhone.

At first, Qualcomm was in disbelief of their market projections on the volume of the first iPhone. Now years later with egg of their face, Qualcomm is seeing Apple as major player and "in the club" with the rest of the big boys.

Comment

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
It appears doubtful, however, that a CDMA2000-based iPhone would be able to make an appearance before the technology begins to be phased out in favor of the LTE 4G technology that vendors worldwide are coalescing around.

Why is this doubtful? The technology is indeed going to be phased out, but not for a very long time. Verizon starts slowly deploying LTE next year in select markets and even then not for their cell phones. By the time LTE can actually cover the entire country AND be available for cell phone use it will be years. And in any case where LTE is not available CDMA will be the fallback and so that technology is here to stay for a quite a long time.

Apple will not be making an LTE iPhone in 2010 in any case, maybe not even by 2011 since Verizon will be pretty much the only carrier even offering nascent LTE. AT&T and many world carriers are simply way behind the curve. So it is not doubtful that Apple would simply use a World Phone radio that can receive CDMA and GSM like so many other phones already do. 3G, whether GSM or CDMA is here to stay for still many years to come. LTE adoption will be very slow.

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
He would do well to stay quiet.

Apple no doubt likes MacRumors for all the free publicity and the buzz it generates, Partners with real information divulging information on Apple's future products and plans is a big no no. Especially if it ends up on the internet and the front page of MacRumors.

Comment

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Verizon still years away from iPhone

Well, despite the rumors, I don't think we will see a CDMA iPhone....ever. They aren't even in any talks right now. After talks, thre is engineering, prototypes, testing, and then production. Might as well wait for 4G.

I do think that Verizon wants us all to believe that a Verizon iPhone is coming....it will delay the mass exodus to AT&T and whoever is next (T-Mobile?).

Comment

tdar

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Alpharetta GA.
Why is this doubtful? The technology is indeed going to be phased out, but not for a very long time. Verizon starts slowly deploying LTE next year in select markets and even then not for their cell phones. By the time LTE can actually cover the entire country AND be available for cell phone use it will be years. And in any case where LTE is not available CDMA will be the fall back and so that technology is here to stay for a quite a long time.

Apple will not be making an LTE iPhone in 2010 in any case, maybe not even by 2011 since Verizon will be pretty much the only carrier even offering nascent LTE. AT&T and many world carriers are simply way behind the curve. So it is not doubtful that Apple would simply use a World Phone radio that can receive CDMA and GSM like so many other phones already do. 3G, whether GSM or CDMA is here to stay for still many years to come. LTE adoption will be very slow.

While Verizon will have LTE deployed for a large amount of the US population in 2010, the network will still retain it's CDMA abilities for a long period of time. The full LTE rollout is not projected to be complete until 2014. Until then Verizon phones, even ones that have LTE support, will still support CDMA as well. But having said that I am sure what Qualcomm and Apple are talking about is the new Qualcomm chipset that allows for CDMA\LTE GSM\UTMS phones all in a single design.

Comment

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Why is this doubtful? The technology is indeed going to be phased out, but not for a very long time. Verizon starts slowly deploying LTE next year in select markets and even then not for their cell phones. By the time LTE can actually cover the entire country AND be available for cell phone use it will be years. And in any case where LTE is not available CDMA will be the fallback and so that technology is here to stay for a quite a long time.

Wrong on so many counts.

Apple doesn't design the phone for US Centric Carriers. They chose GSM because it's the global standard.

LTE Advanced is a mobile communication standard. It is currently being standardized by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) as a major enhancement of 3GPP Long Term Evolution. LTE (Long Term Evolution) standardization has come to a mature state by now where changes in the specification are limited to corrections and bug fixes. LTE mobile communication systems are expected to be deployed from 2010 onwards as a natural evolution of Global system for mobile communications (GSM) and Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS).

Comment

bearbear

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Wrong on so many counts.

Apple doesn't design the phone for US Centric Carriers. They chose GSM because it's the global standard.

Makes sense except that they went to a CDMA carrier first with the iPhone. I think if Apple really wants to slow the adoption of Android, they're going to want to have an option on as many carriers as possible.

Comment

aokiqiao

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Odessa,TX
I dont see this World iPhone coming out next year in the June/July refresh. But who knows whats going on behind Apples closed doors as I type this. If I had to guess I'd say 2012 is the magical year AT&T will lose exclusivity in the U.S. Thats when my contract ends with AT&T too lol so I may be just lieing to myself. :p

Comment

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Wonder if that means that FLO TV could come to the iPhone - still nascent in terms of channel selection at this point- but a good start.

Comment

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
1) Unlikely to see a CDMA-only phone from Apple, ever.
2) More likely to have a "global phone" which has a hybrid CDMA/GSM chip in it which Qualcomm does make (Gobi chips). They'd probably need to be shrunk to fit in a phone.
3) No LTE until 2011, regardless of when Verizon has it's network up and running. An LTE iPhone however, would be a true world phone. It would probably still have a CDMA fallback for use on the Verizon network when necessary.

Comment

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Makes sense except that they went to a CDMA carrier first with the iPhone. I think if Apple really wants to slow the adoption of Android, they're going to want to have an option on as many carriers as possible.
They also launched the first gen iPhone initially in the US market only. The CDMA market is irrelevant now in the grand scheme of things. You speak as if the US market is the centre of the universe.

Other CDMA carriers are either quickly moving towards LTE directly or have switched to UTMS/HSPA (3G GSM) networks as a stepping stone towards LTE.

In Canada, the two major CDMA carriers partnered together and rolled out a 21Mbps HSPA+/HSDPA network compatible with the 3GS on November 5th. It took them less than two years to build out a network that is actually larger than Rogers Wireless.

Sprint and Verizon could have accomplished the same thing in even less time if they had decided to do it.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Geez, did it never occur to anyone that Qualcomm is now showing LTE chips? Just Google if that's not to hard. If Apple plans on having an LTE compat. iPhone in 2012-2013 then now WOULD be the time to negotiate, so this article a) shouldn't be that huge of a shocker and b) shouldn't be read that Apple is planing a CDMA phone -- that is NOT going to happen. It's just common sense.

Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I worry that Qualcomm's chipset featuring LTE will be ARM11 based. Even with the SnapDragon at 1Ghz I don't think we'll see a significant performance gain if any at all during high-end apps like gaming (in particular Eliminate really taxes the cpu; heat).

There are other company's in the game ....
Ericsson for one have been testing LTE a little longer than Qualcomm with great success and I'd rather see a chipset from them using ARM Cortex A9 with SMP for applications core.

Also Ericsson makes a LOT of celllular network components used by more telco's worldwide than Nokia-Siemens, Motorola, or Qualcomm.

The only advantage to using Qualcomm (currently) is the dual-mode CDMA/HSPA or CDMA/LTE.

Comment

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
CDMA will be around for at least another 10 years before the towers start going "dark". If Apple signed the papers today they could have a CDMA capable iPhone on store shelves in 6 months or less. Every other cell phone maker is able to produce handsets that are both CDMA and GSM, why all of a sudden is it so hard for Apple? I'll answer my own question, it's not hard at all. It's just the excuse fanboys come up with for the reason why Apple is exclusive with AT&T in the US. The other GSM alternative is T-Mobile, perhaps the one company with a crapper network in the US than AT&T.

Fact of the matter is CDMA is the dominate, better network in the US and until Apple makes a phone that works on CDMA in the US we will be stuck using a great phone on a subpar network.

Comment

neilah1

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2007
San Francisco
Fact of the matter is CDMA is the dominate, better network in the US and until Apple makes a phone that works on CDMA in the US we will be stuck using a great phone on a subpar network.

Well said, Texan. It's just how it is.

Qualcomm's recent announcement of LTE+CDMA+GSM+HSDPA on a single chip, single radio solution could be a big deal.

I agree that Qualcomm absolutely missed the boat by not giving Apple the volume pricing they were looking for. However, Qualcomm now has a single chip solution for 3G/4G data and voice in a single package -- as long as it is priced 'right', it could be attractive to a variety of handset makers, Apple included.

The only thing really novel about this is the CDMA portion of the chip; since LTE is the roadmap for HSDPA and GSM-based data solutions, this Qualcomm package needs to be priced carefully against the expected longevity of CDMA.

I also think Qualcomm making any PR statements like this, before there is any real news to tell, is a foreshadowing of what kind of cooperation and involvement is happening behind the scenes. My read on this is zero.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

That may be A fact, but Apple has to consider an array of them, and bigger than that one is that Apple markets the iPhone WORLDWIDE, and GSM is far, far, more prevalent worldwide.

I think it's safe to conclude Apple's goal is to make production as unified and inexpensive as possible, which means make one model and modify the firmware when necessary, which is cheap.

Also, true, CDMA will be around for a while still, but it will be to support legacy phones. NO new smartphone will be use CDMA a couple years after LTE rolls out. Verizon's CEO has already said they are going hard and fast to LTE for smartphones. ATT will do the same.

Comment

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
That may be A fact, but Apple has to consider an array of them, and bigger than that one is that Apple markets the iPhone WORLDWIDE, and GSM is far, far, more prevalent worldwide.

I think it's safe to conclude Apple's goal is to make production as unified and inexpensive as possible, which means make one model and modify the firmware when necessary, which is cheap.

Also, true, CDMA will be around for a while still, but it will be to support legacy phones. NO new smartphone will be use CDMA a couple years after LTE rolls out. Verizon's CEO has already said they are going hard and fast to LTE for smartphones. ATT will do the same.

The point where new phones stop being made for CMDA is still another good five years away. Hard and fast in the business world doesn't mean squat.

Other companies are able to have CDMA and GSM variants with few problems, so Apple's only excuse is laziness. Although the iPhone has only one model with one radio Apple still has countless bugs and problems in the firmware, so maybe they aren't able to handle programming for two radios.

Comment

rowr

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
Boston

100% agreed - i'll go one further by venting my extreme displeasure for GSM's terrible voice quality.

My concern about a Verizon iPhone would be based on Verizon's track record of crippling the firmware in phones they sell as a means to generate revenue. Sprint allows you to use a wide-open phone but Verizon phones typically have most of that disabled in a way that forces you to buy Verizon add-on services for simple things like uploading your own mp3s, etc.

Either way, i'll be glad when the day comes that a company other than AT&T and Verizon are marketing the phone.

Comment

bigfoot

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
...I do think that Verizon wants us all to believe that a Verizon iPhone is coming....it will delay the mass exodus to AT&T and whoever is next (T-Mobile?).

My contract with Verizon being over... I stopped wishing upon wishes, and just jumped ship to the iPhone. I was tempted by the Droid and played with it for a good long while. Then I played with the iPhone... it was a no brainer. Not going to miss Verizon's customer service either. Always felt like they were doing you a favor. So far AT&T has been service with a smile... we'll see. Hopefully they'll continue to try harder and improve.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.