Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Quanta Reportedly Likely to Stop Assembling the Apple Watch in 2020 Due to Profit Concerns

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Quanta Computer will likely stop taking assembly orders for the Apple Watch at some point in 2020 due to profit concerns, and may sell its manufacturing plant in Changshu, China dedicated to assembling the wearable device, according to industry sources cited by Taiwanese publication DigiTimes.

The full DigiTimes story is not yet available, but a paywalled preview reads as follows:
Quanta may stop assembly for Apple Watch in 2020, say sources:
Quanta Computer is likely to stop taking assembly orders for the Apple Watch next year due to profit concerns, and may sell its Changshu plant in China dedicated to assembling the wearable device, according to industry sources.
Quanta has been the primary manufacturer of the Apple Watch since the original model was released in 2015, while Compal Electronics reportedly became a secondary supplier starting with Series 4 models last year.

Article Link: Quanta Reportedly Likely to Stop Assembling the Apple Watch in 2020 Due to Profit Concerns

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
It might be due to their own management issues. Apple Watch is the best selling wearable device right now.

I do not own one and I will not until they give me a good battery life, some of the competitors can go up to 7 days on a single charge.

Last edited:
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Quanta makes hardware for Lenovo, LG, Sony, Alienware, Dell, HP, etc.
One single product, in this case an Apple Watch, is not necessarily a single cause for this, despite how the headline is implying.

Well that, and the article indicates ‘May’, it’s not like this is a guaranteed fact that Quanta won’t produce the Apple Watch. Even so, Apple would never jeopardize not having a secondary supplier for the most popular smart watch in the world. I’m sure there’s talks of negotiations, Cook is a master with supplier connections.

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It might be due to their own management issues. Apple Watch is the best selling wearable device right now.

I do not own one and I will not until they give me a good battery life, some of the competitors can go up to 7 days on a single charge, I just do not trust their quality.

AppleWatch isn't just a watch, and it's not just a fitness tracker; it's a wrist worn computer. Those watches or fitness trackers that offer 7 day battery life are not wrist computers, they're watches or fitness trackers. You'll be waiting a really long time if you're waiting for a computer to last you 7 days between charges.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
AppleWatch isn't just a watch, and it's not just a fitness tracker; it's a wrist worn computer. Those watches or fitness trackers that offer 7 day battery life are not wrist computers, they're watches or fitness trackers. You'll be waiting a really long time if you're waiting for a computer to last you 7 days between charges.

Yup. Kinda unrelated to the topic, but I can manage 24 hours on my Apple Watch no problem. That’s with tweaked settings, and I don’t understand how hard is it to take your watch off at night and charge it when you go to bed. The majority of Apple Watch users don’t wear their watch the bed, and it’s no different than charging your iPhone or iPad at night. But for some, they need to have ‘seven days a battery life’, then maybe the Apple Watch isn’t the right device for them. They could always try the lesser value of a Fitbit ?

Comment

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009

I do not own one and I will not until they give me a good battery life, some of the competitors can go up to 7 days on a single charge, I just do not trust their quality.

Then you are missing out. The Apple Watch is an amazing device. It has come in so handy so many times in my life and I wasn’t sure it would when I bought it. I use ii and rely on it far more than I ever thought possible. And the battery life isn’t horrible. I get about a day and a half. That’s pretty good for a device that small that does so much and that like ipedro said, is basically a small computer on your wrist.

If you want 7 days out of that...well, good luck. You’ll be waiting 20 years or more for that!

Comment

@meinertzhagen

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2019
Yup. Kinda unrelated to the topic, but I can manage 24 hours on my Apple Watch no problem. That’s with tweaked settings, and I don’t understand how hard is it to take your watch off at night and charge it when you go to bed. The majority of Apple Watch users don’t wear their watch the bed, and it’s no different than charging your iPhone or iPad at night. But for some, they need to have ‘seven days a battery life’, then maybe the Apple Watch isn’t the right device for them. They could always try the lesser value of a Fitbit ?

That is true. Most of the time I am able to get through the day with a single charge.

But as the rumors suggested (official) sleep tracking is coming to Apple Watch soon, when will be a good time to charge it? It will be an interesting problem to solve ...

Comment

jeff275

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
You sound like you work for Apple. Lots of people won't buy a smart watch until they can get a week out of it. And yes, those other watches are smart watches and can do way more than you give them credit for. Are they an Apple watch? Of course not.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's a small adjustment, but the inductive charger makes keeping a charge a complete non-issue. So easy and convenient.
[automerge]1571247067[/automerge]
I believe that Apple could optimize the construction and assembly of the watch a bit, and solve a great deal of the issues involved - with some design tweaks.

What issues?

Comment

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
That is true. Most of the time I am able to get through the day with a single charge.

But as the rumors suggested (official) sleep tracking is coming to Apple Watch soon, when will be a good time to charge it? It will be an interesting problem to solve ...

I take off my Apple watch when I shower and get ready in the morning. I know it's waterproof, but I don't need it on all the time. The battery charges so fast, it could charge in the time I shower and get ready in the morning, if I were to wear it while sleeping.

Comment

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
You sound like you work for Apple. Lots of people won't buy a smart watch until they can get a week out of it. And yes, those other watches are smart watches and can do way more than you give them credit for. Are they an Apple watch? Of course not.

Why? They don’t get 7 days of battery life from a smartphone either. If people can charge those everyday, why not a watch?

Comment

Khedron

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013

Sure the Apple Watch can't provide continuous heart rate monitoring or sleep tracking like other smartwatches can, but at least you can calculate the tip for your bill

Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017

Any watch with 7 day battery life isn’t doing anything close to what an Apple Watch does.

Apple has the best supply chain management in the world, not even close

Comment

palev

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015

I wear mine to bed now to track my sleep with a third party app. I throw it on the charger about an hour before bed and it then lasts me all night and the entire next day while still having over 40% charge left.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
You sound like you work for Apple. Lots of people won't buy a smart watch until they can get a week out of it.

Bolded: If that’s not a blanket statement, then I don’t know what is. @ipedro was mainly just differentiating the differences between how the Apple Watch is more of a computer than just a fitness tracker. If you want just a fitness tracker, there are plenty of cheaper options on the market, but the Apple Watch is so much more diverse than that.

Comment

m4mario

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area

I recommend you buy one. I own other good watches, but end up wearing the Apple Watch 95 % of the time. And 2 day battery life is plenty for urban life. If you can live with an iPhone's battery life, you can comfortably live with the Apple Watch's battery life.

Comment

Kardinal1911

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Houston

“Don’t trust their quality” do you not realize that millions of people around the world have worn their Apple Watch during swims, intense training, combat, artic excursions etc... this is laughable...

also did you not purchase an iPhone because of lack of 7 day battery life as well?

Comment

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
“Don’t trust their quality” do you not realize that millions of people around the world have worn their Apple Watch during swims, intense training, combat, artic excursions etc... this is laughable...

also did you not purchase an iPhone because of lack of 7 day battery life as well?

You did not understand my comment... I am actually saying I trust Apple Watch quality. I have had wristbands that end up being terrible in durability.

Reactions: GreginNJ
Comment

killhippie

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Maybe people are just fed up of being connected 24/7 People actually got into the habit of checking their watches during their sleep which is not good for anybody sleep pattern and I’m not saying everybody does that but some people do it would appear. And those fitness watches are ever more popular and they only tell you things like the time, GPS for runs you’ve done, how each run was and compares time etc heat rate too I believe all the good stuff that the fitness crowd really need in a easy to fall over with and you don’t have to worry it package.

Personally for £50 every 5-6 years my 19 year old Tag Heur series 2000 does me just fine, it’s 200 meters waterproof not that I’m ever going to go down that far unless someone throws me and my wheelchair over the side of a ship. It has a true sapphire glass front to it and a very strong stainless steel body that still looks as stylish as when I bought it. Also everything I would use a Apple watch for my phone does apart from the cardiac monitoring which would just make me uneasy so I’m fine not knowing about that stuff. Then if I’m going out in the evening I can put a watch on which isn’t connected to the Internet or my phone and I can go out and enjoy myself without looking at my wrist every few minutes for incoming messages asking how my evening is! I don’t really want to be connected to all the time. That’s just my way of thinking, I know some people love the Apple Watch and good for them, but I still think wearables are a niche market

Last edited:
Reactions: G4DPII
Comment

iGeneo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010

You are selling yourself short. V1, I get it, but we are at V5 of the Apple Watch and it has been stellar. Those 7 day fitness trackers aren't even in the same ballpark as the AW. I thought the same about buying a Tesla. Wouldn't buy one until "it has 500 miles range". I was completely wrong and have been enjoying the heck out of it, you should be doing the same with an AW. As for "trusting their quality" again.. you are selling the watch short, quality has been stellar.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.