iPad Quasar iOS 6.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by derrick2005, Feb 2, 2013.

1. derrick2005 macrumors regular

Having sent various emails and tweets to the developer with no reply, does anyone have a clue if it will work on iOS 6.1. I can't move from 5.1.1 to the new jb until I can verify this.... Any help appreciated. Also, perhaps if others with the same question also query the developer he may answer.

2. dinggus macrumors 65816

It should work, why is it a must have?

3. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Does it matter?

To op: I'll do you a favor and post here immediately after I jailbreak & install it.

4. dinggus macrumors 65816

Yes it does.

5. derrick2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I would really appreciate that, quasar is a core app for me, I won't upgraded jb if it doesn't work.

6. dinggus macrumors 65816

I just downloaded it on my iPad Mini, it puts my iPad into Safe Mode. I didn't mean to sound rude the other day, believe me, I enjoy Quasar as well. Nothing like being able to watch a movie while browsing the web on the iPad.

I'll let you know if it gets updated.

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

BTW, there are AppStore apps that do allow for this; for example, Video DS - DualScreen Video Player. (Albeit it isn't a very powerful app, video player-wise.)

Also, I've written an app that shows how this all can be implemented.

Feel free to ask me for more info and I dig up (and paste here) the articles I've written on these two subjects.

----------

Yup, he's known for NOT answering most mails, not even to mails from people even presenting the Cydia store receipts to show him they're valid, paying customers.

8. dinggus macrumors 65816

I'm interested.

Also, does that mean Quasar won't be updated?

9. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Dunno... Let's hope for the best.

Here's my article on playing back a video while making notes (with full sources); here, you "only" need to change the text area to a UIWebView:

Welcome my latest app: Video Transcriber!

In one of my yesterday's articles, answering a request from a forum member, I've promised I'd write an application that shows a text editing field next to a video player (with a Pause / Start icon) so that you can easily write a transcription of a video.

My solution is vastly different from the previously existing, third-party app-based approach: you can not only listen to the soundtrack of the video running in the background (with players that DO run in the background), but also see the video itself, have instant and direct access to its controls like Pause / Resume etc. And yes, it's open source (source HERE) so that anyone, in addition to being able to deploy it on his/her iDevice, can check out how it works ;-) Basically, it's very similar to my previous app playing Full HD videos without resizing (that is, without any quality loss, unlike with Apple's own player). The main difference is the added event handling (widget size change via the +/- buttons) and, of course, the text area.

The application's main GUI (after selecting a video from the main list) is as follows:

[​IMG]

The video is shown on the left (here, it's my resolution chart video) and the text on the right. (Click the thumbnail for the original image!)

Here, you can increase the size of the video window (and decrease that of the text by tapping the - button (and vice versa with the + button). The app isn't able to save the contents of the text input field but, of course, Select All > Copy does work so you can easily copy the text you entered to, say, Notes.

As with my previous app, you need to transfer your MOV / M4V files via iTunes File Sharing to the home of the app so that they're shown in the file list shown at the app startup.

And here's a (later) review of Video DS - DualScreen Video Player:

Want to browse the Web while watching video on your iPad?

You may remember the simple video player I've written as an answer to a reader's request, allowing people to watch a video while entering / editing text (article, with full sources, above).

In the AppStore, a similar app, “Video DS - DualScreen Video Player”, has recently debuted with a built-in Web browser, letting for browsing the Web while watching a video from both the stock Video's database and videos directly transferred to the home folder of the app. (AppStore link; $1.99)

[​IMG]
    (the main app interface in Portrait mode, displaying the resolution chart and the playback interface controls at the top and the tabbed Web browser at the bottom. Click for the original-sized image.)

Pros

- Direct access to (unprotected) videos synchronized to the stock Videos app

- Dynamically settable zoom level

- While the browser is really simple, at least tabs (with closing via tap-and-holding) and favorites are supported

Cons

- Absolutely no support for non-iOS-native video formats – don't even think of MKV, WMV, TS, MTS etc. support. This also means AVI support is restricted: only ones with M-JPEG will be played back; that is, your non-camera AVIs won't be played. (It's only camera videos that use the very inefficient M-JPEG encoding. This is why for example the Big Buck Bunny AVI (it's HERE, linked from HERE) AVI isn't played back either - it uses the MS-MPEG4 format.)

- No support for embedded subtitles or audio track selections, both available in the built-in player.

- Absolutely no support for any kind of direct streaming or alternative ways of file up/download before playback

- Absolutely no support for directory sorting, adaptive scrubbing, DSP's, gesture-based rewinding/fast forwarding, aspect ratio overriding to maximize the viewing area by sacrificing the original aspect ratio

- The browser is really simple and is incomparably less featured than Safari, let alone the best titles like iCab Mobile (or Safari with all the available scriptlets running on a jailbroken device with all the Cydia goodies like page saving, upload support and full screen support)

Verdict

If you don't jailbreak for complete windowing freedom with Quasar, it's a very decent and cheap app – unless you want to play back non-iOS-native formats, of course.

If, however, your iPad is jailbroken, and you have already purchased the, despite the bugs (with which, if you learn them, you can live), highly recommended Quasar, you might want to give it a try first if you want something like this app – it gives you far more flexibility. Using it, you can run any video player in a window, with support for everything not supported by this app and you can also save $1.99 by using your existing players. Just an example screenshot showing running the stock Safari (rotated to Portrait mode so that it fills in the entire right half of the screen), the arena chat area of the excellent card game "Spectromancer" (bottom left quarter) and the excellent third-party video player "It's Playing" (top left quarter) in separate, resizable, relocatable windows (click for full size!):
    [​IMG]

10. derrick2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much for testing this for me. I am saddened that it doesnt work and not too hopeful for a reply from the dev. I will keep my ipad 3 on ios 5.1.1 n the meantime. Thanks again

11. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Quasar + iPad 3 6.1 doesn't work - tested it myself.

12. Sirpennywise macrumors newbie

I was excited to give it a shot, it also put my Ipad Mini into safemode.

This Tweak is listed on all of the "Must have IOS6.1 jailbreak" posts... did they try it out before making their posts or just toss some stuff together to get more views ;)

I cant wait until there is an update and i can give it a shot!

13. Kaos2K macrumors member

Kaos2K

Quasar 1.3 + iPad 3 with iOS 6.1 not working. Crashes every time i activated it from Settings menu and make my iPad to enter Safe Mode. I hope the App will be updated as it is a must have.

14. derrick2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Have tweeted the dev again today. Still no response

----------

My bad. The dev tweeted earlier that he's working on the update. No ETA

15. Jakeblu macrumors regular

Perhaps he's working hard on an update ;)

Edit: Whoops just spotted your last line :)

16. Kamakzie macrumors member

Yup no workie. Hopefully he does an update to work with 6.1

17. dinggus macrumors 65816

Guess you didn't read the 2 posts above you, he tweeted that he's working on an update.

18. R4VR macrumors newbie

I don't see anything regarding communication from the developer. So far as I can see, nobody had seen or heard any responses. For a $10 app, one would expect an active dev. Especially having a popular App.

You must have misread the posts.

19. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

20. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

There have been people receiving responses from the dev in this forum (see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1364605 , where we discuss this q). That is, from time to time, he answers some (but definitely not all) customer questions / inquiries.

21. Kaos2K macrumors member

Kaos2K

Extracted from Quasar's dev Twitter: https://twitter.com/pedroh96

22. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Gr8!

----------

It's only for iPads.

23. dinggus macrumors 65816

There it is...

24. coleclayman macrumors newbie

False!

I emailed the dev right after evasi0n was released and he responded ASAP. He said he's working on it, changing the code for iOS 6. See screen shot of the email.

Also, on twitter, the guy keeps ranting about how he gets tons of emails and how he doesn't want to respond. Best to leave him be... Let him work!

Attached Files:

25. L4Leonard macrumors regular

L4Leonard

The 7th today, and still no update... Common! 9.99 is actually cuite a bit of dollahs for a single tweak!