iPad Question about adding AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cnxyz, Dec 4, 2014.

1. cnxyz macrumors newbie

I put in an order for an iPad Air 2 last Friday (11/28/2014) on MacMall (Authorized dealer) when they had some discounts.

I did the calculations and the Space Gray 128GB Wifi+Cellular model came out to be a better deal than the Best Buy and Target deals (even after considering the $140 Gift Card was equivalent to $140 cash).

Also, there was no tax which is why I went with them (Best Buy and Target would have been a better deal if I lived in a tax free state). The problem was that it was back ordered, but I put the purchase through just to get it at that price. After all, I am not in a hurry to get it.

I intentionally completed the purchase without adding AppleCare+ ($99) due to a lack of funds available at the time, with the intention of adding it within the grace period after purchasing.

I contacted MacMall today via live chat, and was told that they are estimating that they will receive the shipment from Apple on 12/22/2014. I would assume they would then ship out my order then, or at least by the next day. In the event that I received my order after 30 days have elapsed, does this mean that I would not be able to add AppleCare+? The guy ("Lawrence") on the live chat said that it needs to be added within 30 days. In contrast, the Apple website says that AppleCare+ can be added within 60 days of the purchase date. I asked if they could add AppleCare to my existing order since it wasn't shipped (and now I have the spare $99 for it), and they said they couldn't do it, and that I need to deal with Apple once I receive the unit.

Would Apple NOT let me add AppleCare if I brought it in after 30 days? If anything, I trust Apple's website's information (within 60 days) more than MacMall's live chat, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a similar situation, or if I have nothing to worry about (perhaps bring in a factory sealed unit to the store when trying to add AppleCare in person?)

Thanks!

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Apple says you can buy within 60 days and need proof of purchase and the iPad to inspect it

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Right, but they can do this over the phone via remotely by getting access to your ipad. Once they verify its health, you can get AppleCare on your tablet.

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i was under the impression that the health check was only needed if you got applecare +, and if you choose regular applecare the health check was not required.

i also heard it was a visual inspection. and not a remote one

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have 60 days and it appears you can do in person or by phone

Applecare plus

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The only AppleCare you can get for iPads and iPhones is AppleCare+ and it can be either a visual inspection or a remote check (I added AppleCare+ to my iPhone after I got it and I just phoned up - they ran some remote diagnostics and then let me add it)

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

are you saying that you can no longer get regular applecare only as long as its under warranty?? like 10 months in?

wow. thats a bummer. i thought you still had 12 months to get regular applecare.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

For iPhones/iPads, regular AppleCare is no longer an option.

With AppleCare+, you now have 60 days to decide.

With Macs, you still have 12 months to decide if you want AppleCare. But when you could get AppleCare for iPhones/iPads, you only had 30 days to decide. :)

9. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I purchased applecare + 45 days after the initial sale to someone else. I did this remotely. I guess it boils down to when Apple says the purchase date is. Is it the date of the sale for the date of your receipt of the device. I'm thinking the latter however it would be wise to call Apple now to verify before you actually get the device and explain what's going on. Call "just ask Apple" 1 (800) 692-7753 and they will help you.

----------

Deal directly with Apple.
    I purchased applecare + 45 days after the initial sale to someone else. I did this remotely. I guess it boils down to when Apple says the purchase date is. Is it the date of the sale for the date of your receipt of the device. I'm thinking the latter however it would be wise to call Apple now to verify before you actually get the device and explain what's going on. Call "just ask Apple" 1 (800) 692-7753 and they will help you.

10. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Best thing to do is not open the iPad (don't remove shrinkwrap) when you receive it and take it and the receipt to an Apple Store and have them sign you up for AC+.

11. Clevans macrumors regular

It's 60 days for iPads and iPhones. But they also will do a one time ever in a lifetime per Apple ID override. I just did this last weekend with my iPhone. I was 2 days out of my 60 day window and they were able to get an approval for me to add it

12. Trahearne, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

Trahearne macrumors 6502

Every device comes with a basic 12-month warranty (it has no shiny marketing name AFAIK, btw), and also an optional AppleCare+ that extends the warranty for another 12 months with more coverage and support channels. If one hasn't purcahsed AppleCare+ with the device, it has to be registered within 60 days after the day of purchase (or shipping). This is the only option.

As a side note, Apple rebranded the AppleCare Protection Plan of iDevices to AppleCare+ right before iPad Air launched, IIRC, with some changes in policy (e.g. within AppleCare coverage -> 30 days from day of purcahse). Those for Macs still keep the lengthy name.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

applecare+ is two years of coverage, but one additional year like you said. It covers accidental damage during that whole 2 years though.

14. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You can't do "regular" apple care on iPhones and iPads anymore

----------

They will open it. It's too easy to re shrink a box. They have to see it, turn it on etc. so open it, use it etc. as long as you don't damage it. That's the only thing other than the sixty days that matters

15. tibas92013, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

On Best Buy "Black Friday" I scored a Ipad Mini 2, 32GB Wifi for around $294.00 which included a State sales tax.

So last Tuesday I purchased AppleCare Plus from the Apple Store over the Internet. The Apple Worker Bee asked me right off the bat if I live in the State of Florida because if you do Apple cannot sell you Applecare over the Internet. You must go in person to a Applestore in Florida in order to purchase Applecare. I told her that I do not live in Florida.

The Apple Worker Bee requested my Ipad Mini 2 Serial# and then did a remote Test on my Ipad Mini which checked-out A-OK, gave her my credit card information and I requested that they email me the Apple Care Plus Certificate. The cost was $105.00 which included the sales tax.

16. bamorris2 macrumors newbie

I thought the reason for a physical inspection was to make sure it wasn't physically damaged (dented, cracked glass, etc.). I could be wrong, but I suspect the online health check only checks for internal system errors. If that's the case, how do they prevent people from dropping their iPad and then purchasing AppleCare+ to avoid buying a new device?

17. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

the time window seems to differ - this is what i see, when i check the plan :

Attached Files:

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

AppleCare and applecare+ are two different things. Regular AppleCare is for macs and extends the manufacture warranty. Applecare+ is for iPads and iPhones and includes manufacture warranty and accidental damage.

AppleCare can be purchased anytime within the first year. Appplecare+ has to be purchased within 60 days.

19. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

Bought AC+ over the phone an hour ago for the Air 2. No inspection or other OTA voodoo required, just the SN... and one hundred five portraits of Washington. (Taxes)

20. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

that is the only plan i can see/choose... (for ipad)

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think they recently changed the policy on having to bring it in store. I live 20 mins from an Apple Store and they let me do it over the phone. It use to be if you were within 50 miles you had to go in store.

I'm referring to the US policy. Are you in a different country?

22. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

No Remote test on your Ipad was required??

23. Trahearne macrumors 6502

Not sure but I have checked three regions (US, CA, HK) and all of them come with "Or buy it within 60 days of your iPad purchase" the AppleCare+. But I have also found that at least TW still hasn't changed to the new AppleCare+ though, so there is certainly part of the world that is not with the new AppleCare+.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I didn't have to do that. I just gave them the serial number. They didn't ask for proof of purchase.

25. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

Dats whut I said, Cholly.