Question about apple sport watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by fitgirl, Jun 23, 2017.

1. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

does the apple Sport Watch really scratch as easily as some people say? I got the rose gold sports but after reading abt how some people got scratches only weeks after usage makes me paranoid and re think if maybe I should return and get the stainless steal.

2. AFEPPL, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I have an original SS and tbh it scratches very easy like all other watches - but on the plus side you can just polish the small marks away with some effort...

3. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I'm ok with the stainless steal getting scratches I just can't stand scratches on the glass itself.

4. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Although I can't say for certain, I believe the Ion X glass on the sport models would fair similarly to the display on the iPhone in terms of scratch resistance. You probably won't get large noticeable scratches unless you accidentally bang your watch up against a wall or something, although I would probably expect some hairline scratches overtime similar to what you have on your iPhone.

Also remember that the Apple Watch is not like a regular watch, since it requires you to touch the display to interact with the user interface. This means that the watch will constantly be getting smudgy requiring you to clean it by wiping with a cloth or your shirt etc. The sapphire display will fair better imo.

5. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I bought my original AW Sport almost exactly two years ago. I wear it every day (even sleep in it to track my sleep) and it's still pristine. The only scratch is really hard to see and it's on the home button. The glass is flawless. I do have a desk job, so it's not like it gets exposed to a ton of grit and action, but I wear it biking on road and off, doing chores around the house and yard, etc. The only time I really take it off is when I will be digging in dirt. I'd rather avoid getting dirt crammed into the speaker or mic. I definitely don't baby it, and there have been times when I knocked it hard into a table or another hard surface. I'm surprised at least one of those hard knocks didn't leave a mark. So yeah... the glass surprisingly tough.

Sean

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I'm not being dismissive, however You started a thread on this same subject less than a week ago.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/question-for-those-that-bought-the-sports-apple-watch.2051809/

That said, there was some really detailed answers in that thread and the differences between the Ion-X Glass and sapphire display, with recommendations of screen protectors as well.

7. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000