Question for those that bought the sports apple watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by fitgirl, Jun 17, 2017.

1. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I got my rose gold sports watch today but I'm unsure about the toughness of the screen, for those who purchased the Apple Sports Watch how did you find the toughness of the screen in terms of scratches? and how much more scratch resistant is the sapphrie compared to the ion x glass? does the ion glass scratch easily? or would it be a good idea to get a screen protector?

2. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I had the original sports watch and the screen scratched rather easily. Sapphire is much more scratch resistant as only a diamond can scratch it.

3. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

oh man I can't stand scratches, maybe I'll upgrade to the sapphire the only thing is that love the rose gold and that one don't come with a sapphire screen, what a drag.

4. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

You can only really see them in certain angles with specific lighting. But I regretted getting the sports version. SS just looks so much better in my opinion.

5. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

oh so they are only hairline scratches? I like the SS to but i'm in love with the rose gold more then I am with the silver or black stainless steal lol. Did you sports watch scratch just by everyday use or did it come in contact with keys etc...?

6. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Everyday use, why would it come in contact with keys lol? It's on my wrist.

7. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

yes your right haha must of had iPhone on may mind lol, well if scratches from everyday use than that sucks guess i'm gonna either get the stainless steal even though not to crazy abt silver or black, or I'll get a screen protector.

8. jakerichva Suspended

I have a rose gold sport. Had it now for 8 months. Wear it every day. Work out every day in the gym. Zero scratches. I do use a sweat band that I pull over the watch when working with the free weights, or any machine that might come in contact with the screen, but other than that, I just wear it.

9. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Wow now even hairline scratches? What's a sweat band? that sounds like something I'd want lol

10. jakerichva Suspended

I'll let wikipedia tell you about sweat bands. Technically, the term is wrist band, made of terry cotton and elastic. I got them at the 2" wide size to completely cover the watch when working out and it might be banged by the equipment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wristband

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The Ion-X Glass is essentially the same display as the iPhone. It's fairly scratch resistant, but not nearly as the sapphire display. Sapphire is the second hardest material to diamond. It's very To difficult to scratch the Sapphire display on the stainless model.

That said, the Ion-X Glass from my experiences is fairly resilient, it uses glass crystal, but when I did own mine, it scratched and I upgraded to the Stainless model with the sapphire display. I still have zero scratches on my stainless model Watch.

Here is a similar thread where a forum member scratched their Sport model and out a screen protector on it. Which I would highly recommend.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/got-my-first-scratch.2040872/

This would be the screen protector I would recommend if you decide on one.

http://target.georiot.com/Proxy.ash...4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

13. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

My Apple Watch Sport will be two years old next month and the glass is still flawless. The only scratch at all is a barely visible scratch on the side power/dock button. I wear it every day. I don't baby it, but I do have a desk job. Still, I wear it cycling (road and mountain) and while doing all chores. If I'm working in the yard and know I willl be digging in the dirt I might take it off to avoid getting dirt in the microphone or speaker. Other than that I really don't worry. It has taken some really hard knocks into tables or other hard surfaces that I thought would leave a mark. Maybe I've just been lucky? I've never used any kind of protector for it.

14. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

If you're afraid of scratching your timepiece,the wristwatch is not for you,try looking up some auctioning site,for a late 1800s Seth Thomas engineer watch instead,won't get scratched in your pocket.

15. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Ummm.... not for me? There are screen protectors for ppl who don't like scratches

16. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I wasn't willing to shell out for the sapphire, so I'm using one of the 42mm bumper covers. I've had it for a month, and somewhere along the way I had two scuff marks on the cover. They washed out with alcohol.

The real drawback is that sweat pools under the cover, and then the face doesn't work very well, so after a workout, I have to take the watch apart and dry it off before I can use it again.

I'm debating taking the cover off for workouts.

17. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

That's good to know, I was thinking more on the lines of just getting a screen protector for the screen itself rather then a cover.

18. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

I have an original Space Gray Sport, ordered on launch day over two years ago and worn ever since, and the screen is flawless. If you look at the body of the watch with a microscope, it probably has a few microscopic nicks (nothing that you'd notice from six inches away), but the screen looks like the day I unwrapped it (and no, no screen protector - never did that to any of my phones either). I suspect the majority of Apple Watches out there are the same. And I have unintentionally banged it into things on occasion. If you haven't often found yourself wearing a bandage on the spot where the watch goes, covering the serious wounds you frequently get at that spot on your wrist, then the watch will likely be just fine. Wear it and enjoy it.

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I have a day one AWS, and the screen is practically flawless even after bumping it into things. Seems to be very resilient, even if it's just the Ion-X glass. There's one ~5mm scratch I can see if I shine my phone LED on it, but that's not a very likely scenario day to day...

20. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Screen protectors makes the watch bulkier,and dirt,moisture and dust have a bad habit of getting in between screen and protector.

21. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I'm referring to a screen protector for the screen only not those bulky ones that go around the casing

22. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Ok,but you still got the dust/moisture problem,the protector should be attached in a very clean environment,and the Watch has to be 100 percent clean and dry before attaching the protection. A set of clean surgeon type gloves can be useful.

23. mk313 macrumors 6502

I got mine earlier this year (January ish) and wear it every day. I have an office job and wear it every day, all day, includIng running, cycling, working around the yard, etc and don't have any scratches on it.

24. fitgirl thread starter macrumors 6502

fitgirl

I've have a screen protector on every iPhone I've owned so I know the drill lol, I'm not sure what u mean about moisture problem or dust problem.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 18, 2017 ---
    That make me feel better lol

25. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

I seen it on iPads,moisture,fingerprints and dust on screen,inside protection.