Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamcheerful

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
Regarding the 64-bit kernel ...

My kernel_task (which always has PID 0) says that the kind is "Intel" in the Activity Monitor, but many of the other applications are listed as "Intel (64 bit)". So I have a feeling that I'm not running using the 64 bit kernel. I tried your trick of holding 6 and 4 upon booting (i.e., immediately after I heard the chime at startup). Am I doing something wrong? I feel like a newbie with such a simple question, but I appreciate your help! :)

Notice that I'm running a former generation of Mac Pro right now, namely, the 667 MHz RAM version from 2007.
Thanks for highlighting the specific Mac Pro you are running.

The short reply - your mac does not support 64-bit kernel due to the 32-bit EFI limitations. More information - Link.

Screenshot taken from - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3770
Macs_that_use_64-bit_kernel.png

The specifics ...
Using terminal to set ... sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64
Details - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773

Use of 3rd party software to set 64-bit kernel boot.
Details - http://timesoftware.free.fr/k64enabler/

"... Apple's 64-bit kernel requires both a 64-bit processor (a Core2 Duo or better) and 64-bit EFI."
Details - Link

"Specifically, some earlier Core 2 Duo-based Macs have a 32-bit EFI firmware, and despite the fact that a 32-bit EFI can load a 64-bit kernel, Apple (so far) limits these machines from doing so. Ironically, a tool to enable hackintoshes to boot Mac OS X can enable Macs with 32-bit EFI firmware to boot Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode."
Details - Link

wisty

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Plot cost-per-gig for both Apple and your other supplier. You don't have to be a math guru to see the trend ...

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
The short reply - your mac does not support 64-bit kernel due to the 32-bit EFI limitations.

Hello there, iamcheerful, I really appreciate your reply! Your post was extremely helpful. I figured that I might have 32-bit firmware of some sort, which would prevent the 64-bit kernel. Your post definitely verified this. OK, this is very helpful to know, and it assures me that the 64-bit kernel should be OK on the new Mac Pros. Great!

Plot cost-per-gig for both Apple and your other supplier. You don't have to be a math guru to see the trend ...

Hi wisty! Good idea.... thank you for the idea! A graph makes everything look very clear. Excellent, excellent! I'll take your suggestion. Thank you.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
I buy all of my ram through either Transintl or OWC and save a wad of cash.

Thank you for the advice! Wow! People have already pointed out that OWC ($2,954.99) is less expensive than Ramjet ($3559.99) on this particular RAM, but Transintl is even chapter! $2,898.00, wow!

This is great news. Thank you!

Strange, by the way; I don't see this size of RAM on newegg right now!

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned, you say you have the older Mac Pro with the 667 Ram. The new DDR3 ram will not fit into your machine.

This was handled in Post 1, i.e., my first post. I'm buying a new Mac Pro. I should have put the emphasis on "new", but I expected everyone to see this in Post 1. I'll re-copy the sentence from Post 1 for your convenience:

I plan to buy 64 GB of RAM from Ramjet (or a comparable seller) for a new Mac Pro.

Thank you for reiterating this. Yes, of course, DDR3 RAM will not work in a Mac Pro from 2007. I'll be buying a new 8-core Mac Pro 2.93 GHz machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.