Question About iCloud Back Up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dan50, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Dan50 macrumors regular

This is what it pops up on my screen lately everyday..am I supposed to click upgrade storage? I clicked close button instead but I don't know how I can make some room so ICloud can automatically back things up like it used to. Where do I go? I'm new to this whole thing.

Attached Files:

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Do backups to your computer instead via iTunes and disable iCloud backup.

Just do it regularly.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

You get 5gb of iCloud backup space for free. You can either buy more space, or reduce the size of the backup. For most people, their Camera Roll is the single biggest user of iCloud storage space. Transfer photos and videos from the iPhone to your computer, and delete the ones you don't really need to carry around with you from the iPhone.

Here's Apple's overview article: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519 It'll explain what's stored in the iCloud backup, and what you can do to manage the space you use. This article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201656 will show you how to view the way you're using the iPhone's on-board storage space.

While you can definitely get around the problem by backing up to iTunes, in my experience, most people who depend on iTunes for backup don't backup nearly often enough. When iCloud backup is working, you'll be backing up automatically on a daily basis.

4. Dan50, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

That message appeared on my iPhone screen again. In order to make space, do I go to photo then delete from my camera roll or where do I exactly go in order to delete photos to make space so I could will back up again? Also how many photos am I supposed to delete?

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Yes, you'd go to Photos and delete from the Camera Roll. How much you need to delete depends on how much iCloud storage space you have available and the size of the next backup. When you do delete, consider deleting videos first (if you have any), as they take up lots more space.

Presuming you have iOS 8, go to Settings > General > Usage > iCloud > Manage Storage. First, look at the list of backups (if there's more than one). If you have a backup of an old device or more than one backup of the same device), and you're sure your current device already has everything you need, then you can delete that old backup - that could very well get all the space you need.

How to , go to Settings > General > Usage and note how much Available space there is in iCloud. Then, in the iCloud section of Usage, tap on Manage Storage and select your current iPhone. You'll be told Next Backup Size. Those two numbers will tell you how much you need to delete.

6. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

I just went to the steps you gave me and also deleted videos and photos and on the settings here's what it says:
    Next back up size 2.6 GB
    And there's red line at the bottom and it says 6.2MB available on 5.0 GB

I'm still confused how much I need to delete and also Im not sure which ones my old back up that I should delete. What should I do now?

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's not just your iPhone that's backed up to that space it's every iOS device signed into your iCloud account.

8. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

But the only Ios device I have is my iPhone and I'm new to this process. What should I do now?

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Go to settings > iCloud > storage > manage storage and it'll give you a breakdown of what's being backed up.

If your lost looking at it then take a screenshot (power and home button at the same time) and upload it here.

10. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Retrieve info from backup

How do I retrieve pics from a previous backup? I had to erase my iPhone 6+ because of a problem, and then reformat it. I lost everything, phone & message history, pics, etc. This was due to Apple Service helping me.
    There was a backup done when I purchased the new phone that will have all my items, but I do not know how to get the info from that backup on iCloud.

My pictures are safe on my MacBook Pro Retina, but I would like them back on my phone.

Is it possible to retrieve my phone history?

11. solodogg macrumors 6502

^^This x 100

Why can't Apple make it an option to backup to iTunes when you have a Mac on the same network, and backup automatically like iCloud does? I've got a Mac Mini at home that is only used as a file server, and it would be perfect for automatic backup of all of my iDevices, but the only option is to manually backup.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They do but your device needs to have power then wifi sync will kick in

13. solodogg macrumors 6502

doesn't quite work. i've had iTunes backup setup forever, device always has wifi sync access, but it has to manually be backed up at all times. iTunes even runs in the background at all times on the Mac Mini.

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Works perfectly fine for me but as noted for others not so

15. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Wifi SYNC is NOT the same as wifi BACKUP.

16. solodogg macrumors 6502

Yep, I think he's confused. I can sync just fine over wifi, it will not backup automatically like icloud does.

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Explain...

18. psywzrd, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

psywzrd macrumors 68030

It's quite simple actually - one is just a sync and one is a backup. A sync will update your phone and/or computer so that any new items (new music, new/updated apps, etc) will appear on both. For example, say you downloaded a new song or app on your computer. When a sync happens that song or app will now appear on your phone as well.

A backup backs up the contents of your phone to your computer - totally different.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It does more than sync apps etc

20. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

What is the size of each of the the current backup(s)? That should add up to around 4.99 GB. That's what the red line at the bottom is telling you. Which one is older, and what is its size?

Since the Next Backup size is 2.6 GB, then that's the amount of space you need to have Available before you can backup.

If you see two separate backups listed for the same device, generally, you can delete the older of the two. About the only time you wouldn't delete the older one is if there are items currently missing from the iPhone that had previously been on the iPhone.

If there is stuff in the old backup that you need, we can explain how to manage things. If there's nothing in the old backup you need, delete the old backup - you'

21. nathan.kindle macrumors member

Can I suggest you just buy more storage if I remember correctly its a dollar a month for I think 20 gigs of iCloud space. That's literally cheaper then a cup of coffee. That way you can keep all your stuff without having to delete or worry. Go to iCloud in settings then buy more storage, it's 99 a month for 20g.

22. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Please give details about that highlighted in red.

23. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

What should I do now? I'm there, I want to make more room instead of buying.

Attached Files:

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Are both phones listed current? If 'owners phone' isn't you could delete that

Click on your iPhone backup and you'll see a breakdown of what's being backed up. You can toggle things off that you don't want/need

25. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

How can I check which phone is listed current?