Question about iPhone data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjz147, Aug 16, 2009.

1. mjz147 macrumors regular

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been asked already. But I searched and could not find anything that solves my issue. I am on a family plan on AT&T and am using a razr with unlimited text messaging, 900 minutes, and blocked data. I found an iPhone on eBay that's extremely cheap could I unlock/jailbreak the phone and put my sim card from the razr into the iPhone? And will AT&T know I am using the iPhone and bill me $30 for the data plan even if it is unlocked or jailboken and data is blocked? I am looking to buy the iPhone 3gs btw. Any help is appreciated.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, first you have to get through the whole Activation process. Also, if AT&T does discover your iPhone on your account, they will add the Data Plan to it.

Yes, your RAZR SIM will work on your iPhone.

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Yes AT&T will know, this is because whenever your phone connects to their network, I believe your IMEI will be recognized as an iPhone on their network (you could check this through OLAM too), so they may add that $30 data plan to your bill.

4. mjz147 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I really don't use the Internet that much, i am a college student and don't need to spend $30 a month more than I already am for something i don't need, and I do understand that's how AT&T makes their money, but it's really worthless to me. I have wifi all around me and mostly use the phone as an iPod and for texting. And is their anyway that by jailbreaking it you can block your imea number.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Your IMEI is necessary as it identifies you in the network. No IMEI identification means you won't be able to connect, make calls or receive text.

6. mjz147 thread starter macrumors regular

7. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

In this case you might consider sticking with your existing phone and getting an iPod Touch (a used eBay one, even). You would get the web and e-mail (via wi-fi), and have all the iPod functions. Not sure if you could text via an app or not (I think there are apps for that), but it's not built into the Touch like it is in the iPhone. You'd also have two devices to carry, but it would be a solution that wouldn't involve breaking anyone's 'rules'.

8. mjz147 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I am considering just getting the iPod touch because it is basically the same thing. It's just nice not having to carry around two devices.