Question about iTunes account and new computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applefan289, Jul 30, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

We currently have an iMac (which the family uses) signed in with my iTunes account. Everyone downloads iTunes media from this account. I am going to buy a new Mac, and would like all music currently on the other computer on my computer.

I would also prefer for the old computer, which the family uses, to not have access to my account and "start over" using a new account that they would create. What is the smoothest way to do this? Will all the media downloaded stay on the old computer? What about authorization? If they sign out of my account, are they still authorized under my account?

Would it just be better to leave my account signed in on the old computer, and use the same account on the newer computer? If my family downloads stuff using my account on the old computer, should I just download them to my new computer as well using the new cloud feature (where you can re-download music).

I'm just throwing out a bunch of ideas, but this seems more complicated than it should be. Basically, I'm buying a new Mac and would like to know how I should handle my iTunes account, which the family currently uses.

2. waynep macrumors 6502

You can have the same itunes account on more than one computer. I have itunes account sharing turned on on two MBP's. If I buy a song one one, it automatically copies it to the other . . this is not related to iCloud . . yet anyways.

Read this: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3819

I suppose it depends on if you want more than one iTunes account . . .

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

The new computer will be physically separate though (not in the same home).

4. waynep macrumors 6502

Then that leave iCloud, or separate accounts. . . .

5. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

If I create a new account for my family, will they still get to keep all the content they downloaded under my account?