Question about iTunes home sharing

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gdourado, Jan 6, 2014.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello,
    I have a question about the iTunes home sharing.
    Let's supose I have a Mac Mini with a very large iTunes music library.
    I have all that library sorted, playlists created, smart playlist and all.

Then, I have a Macbook air with limited HDD space.
    Can I enable Home sharing on the iTunes on the Mini, and then sync some albums, tracks and playlist to listen locally on the MBA while on the go?

And then, when I sync it again to change the tracks, will the iTunes on the Mini keep track of the play count and such while I used the air?

Cheers!

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Not quite. On the MacBook Air, you can play all the music from the library on the Mini, as long as you are on the same network. For example at home, or even in a hotel. You can also copy songs from the Mini library to the MacBook Air library, but then they are in that library, and the libraries are separate. You could do this to keep your favourite songs on the MBA when you are away from home, but the libraries are separate.

3. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

Thank you for your reply.
    My idea is exactely that.
    Keep a few of my current favorite albums on the air so I can listen at the office and while on the go.
    What I thought the iTunes Home sharing could do with the air was to kind of "sync" it like I sync songs to my iPhone or iPad...
    And not make a second library on the macbook air...
    So, what I want to do is currently not possible?

Cheers!

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

Home sharing is not a master/slave type sync. It's more of a peer-to-peer file transfer. You will still need to manage a second library on the Air.