Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
This is my first JB and I know there are some steps before doing so but I want to know if it's possible to bypass couple steps. So I downloaded the latest untethered version of Pangu8 and also iTunes on my PC.

I tried backing up via iTunes lastnight in case something happens in the process but my God it took so freaking long, I woke up this morning and it was still backing up so I just canceled it. I also tried backing up via iCloud but that also dragged. Keep in my mind that my internet service sucks (att) so my wifi is a bit choppy so maybe that's why it's taking so long. So my question to that, can I just skip the backing up process? Has anyone JB successfully without backing up?

Also, I updated a few weeks ago to 8.1 OTA, would I really have to restore to a fresh iTunes version of 8.1 for JB to work or can I skip that process as well?

Sorry for the noobieness, I just want to jailbreak and have fun. Thanks in advance.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Just to be on the safe side, do a fresh restore to 8.1, setup as new, than jailbreak and at the end return all your apps manually from iTunes. Making backup doesn't have anything to do with jailbreak. That is just a precaution in case something goes wrong with it.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
I JB 2x 6+ without needing to do a restore and they both have no issues. You really should do a backup. If you don't and the JB causes problems, you will lose everyone, have to restore an end up with a stock phone.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
pfffff, so you mean, if you have to enter again your AppleID, setup mail and register again to the usual Apps like Viber, WhatsApp and similar, is too much work, after setting up as new, o well than.....

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
All my apps will for sure delete and I would have to reinstall all of them? Has anyone ever have a problem during the JB process to even have to use restore?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
it is always possible for something to go wrong, but if you follow the tutorial, you shouldn't encounter any problems. In any case, restore, at least for the moment, is not a big deal :) However, if IOS 8.1.1 comes out in the meantime, that could be a problem, meaning bye bye jailbreak until the next version.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I did a restore to 8 GM and OTA updates to 8.0.2 and 8.1. But I gave it a try and used Pangu 1.0.1. Unfortunately I got stuck in a bootloop. Have to do full restore to 8.1 before JB worked for me on my 5.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
I JB 2x 6+ without needing to do a restore and they both have no issues. You really should do a backup. If you don't and the JB causes problems, you will lose everyone, have to restore an end up with a stock phone.

Failing to restore may cause issues that are not readily apparent. Tweaks and such that you install down the line may cause your phone to do weird things. People are not advising a restore just to make you spend more time jailbreaking...we are advising this based on experience. But, as always, do what you feel you want to do.

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
iTunes is not even letting me restore 8.1, Pop up stating the iPhone software update server could not be contacted. I give up.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
It has to do something with poor WIFI connection you mentioned.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
iTunes is not even letting me restore 8.1, Pop up stating the iPhone software update server could not be contacted. I give up.

I'm sure you and everyone else is trying to restore since the Mac version was released today. Just keep trying.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Failing to restore may cause issues that are not readily apparent. Tweaks and such that you install down the line may cause your phone to do weird things. People are not advising a restore just to make you spend more time jailbreaking...we are advising this based on experience. But, as always, do what you feel you want to do.

Wise words above.
If you don't feel like waiting or restoring and want to skip steps and do it the fast/easy way then don't come crying when things don't go as planned.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009

I have been JB since the 3GS so I know what I am doing. And, I only install tweaks that many say are safe so I have never ran into issues where I had to restore due to them. The reason why I didn't do a restore is because it coming from stock and was still had plenty of time to restore if any problems a raise. Now that the phone is JB, I'll restore and reJB next time.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
I have been JB since the 3GS so I know what I am doing. And, I only install tweaks that many say are safe so I have never ran into issues where I had to restore due to them. The reason why I didn't do a restore is because it coming from stock and was still had plenty of time to restore if any problems a raise. Now that the phone is JB, I'll restore and reJB next time.

Good for you. But when you start telling folks that you didn't do a restore.. it gives the impression that the step is not needed. It is recommended to do a restore first- ESPECIALLY for those that tend to upgrade over-the-air.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Good for you. But when you start telling folks that you didn't do a restore.. it gives the impression that the step is not needed. It is recommended to do a restore first- ESPECIALLY for those that tend to upgrade over-the-air.
He's coming from 6+. Same as me, stock. Now, if he was coming from 5s or below, it would be different. But, I guess you know everything. :rolleyes:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Do whatever you want to do but just because it didnt give you a problem yet it doesn't mean it wont in the future or wont effect other users that might mistakenly listen to you.
In the end do whatever you want to do.
Those that can follow directions will listen to experienced JB devs and follow the correct steps.
Those that are too lazy or want to cut corners will have only themselves to blame.

He's coming from 6+. Same as me, stock. Now, if he was coming from 5s or below, it would be different. But, I guess you know everything. :rolleyes:

It doesnt matter if he's coming from 6+or a 5S. Where do you get this that if you're coming from a 6+ its ok and 5S or below is any different?
Its well known to avoid OTA updates for stability issues when JB.
You're the one that acts like you know everything and going against what JB teams advise for a long time now.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007

No he is not. He said "Also, I updated a few weeks ago to 8.1 OTA"

I dont' know everything.. but I do know how to READ! :rolleyes:

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Do whatever you want to do but just because it didnt give you a problem yet it doesn't mean it wont in the future or wont effect other users that might mistakenly listen to you.
In the end do whatever you want to do.
Those that can follow directions will listen to experienced JB devs and follow the correct steps.
Those that are too lazy or want to cut corners will have only themselves to blame.

It doesnt matter if he's coming from 6+or a 5S. Where do you get this that if you're coming from a 6+ its ok and 5S or below is any different?
Its well known to avoid OTA updates for stability issues when JB.
You're the one that acts like you know everything and going against what JB teams advise for a long time now.
No he is not. He said "Also, I updated a few weeks ago to 8.1 OTA"

I dont' know everything.. but I do know how to READ! :rolleyes:
I stand corrected. He/she should definitely restore to release OS coming from OTA.

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
Plug it to iTunes and hit restore. Once it's done you can restore from backup to have all your stuff back the way it was before.
Then run pangu and jb it.

I don't have anything backed up, that's the problem. It's dragging badly, should I just wait it out for the best outcome?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.