Question about Mac, compared with PC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by piatti, Oct 14, 2011.

1. piatti, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

I heard that the reason why Apple is so expensive is because its design, in other words, because it's pretty.

Is this true? Would you say Apple is like the BMW and Bose where you are paying for the brand name a lot?

I guess if each have their own advantages, it's good to buy a Mac and use Bootcamp for Windows only apps. But then, you could also use Hackintosh. (If a police caught you using Mac on a PC laptop, could you get fined?)

I heard there is a Windows version of Final Cut Pro that is as good as FCP? Pinnacle or Sony Vegas Pro.

What definitely makes a Mac better? Sometimes I wonder if it's just for show-off purposes rather than usefulness.

By the way, in Windows, is it true that you can will get virus if you torrent? I like safe torrenting.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

In my opinion the only thing Apple now has going for it in the PC market is the design and construction of its computers.

In a desktop PC where space and weight are not an issue, this is pointless, so I will definitely not be buying another Mac desktop. My next desktop computer will be built by me.

However, Apple still has a great lead in the construction of laptops. No other company comes close to the same feeling of solidness and good port layouts, as well as the layout of fans and batteries.

I'd say OS X Lion is slightly behind Windows 7 in terms of performance and stability and the two are about equal on features, so I don't think it is worth buying a Mac for software.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Design is not the same as brand name. APple puts a lot of money into the design and the build quality is, in my opinion, noticeably better than other computers I've looked at. But the internal components, in terms of the processor, grpahics chips, etc, are largely the same as what you can get on the windows side of things. Of course, apple custom designs how these all go together to get them to fit into their cases.

But I suppose you do pay a bit more for the name as well.

You also get the best customer service in the industry and the hgihest levels of satisfaction (as measured by independant companies).

And youa re just talking about the hardware. The OS is the most obvious difference. OS X and windows can be very different. Personally, I find OS X to be much more consistent and refined. Windows is fine, I can use it with no problems, but its inconsistency drives me crazy sometimes.

As for the differences in the software like FCP, you'd ahve to try them out and evaluate for yourself. Yes there are options on the windows side, Some people will like them better, some will like apple's better. I like apples better.

The original post smells of a troll, trying to get people pissed off by implying that mac users are stupid people who value looks over function. If thats not the case, my question to you is what are you actually trying to ask here?

My advice, go and try a mac, do your research and buy what you like. I don't need anyone else's validation to justify my purchase, and neither do you.

4. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I do have a Mac, I've owned MacBook since 2008 and MBP 15 since 2011.

5. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

This brings the entire sincerity of this post into doubt unless you live in one of those Mac-police states... ;)

Just in case you are sincere, as someone who uses both Windows and the MacOS, Macs require a whole lot less system software maintenance than Windows does and it's much less likely to be the object of a virus attack. I use a MacBookPro while I'm traveling (all the time) and getting hooked into new networks is a breeze with the Mac vs some futzing with the Windows Network and Sharing Panel. Macs especially shine when someone who is a technical illiterate is operating one, they just keep working, they don't require batteries of utilities to be run on them on a regular basis to stay healthy.

One other thing, design is just more than "looking pretty", design has a direct impact on functionality.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Your paying for the brand, for the build quality, for the style, for the compactness and of course, Mac OSX which you can't get on any other hardware.

Worth it IMO.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't say you need a bunch of utilities in Windows. That is a common claim but oftentimes it's bogus. Tell me, what exactly do you need on Windows? Okay, I give you antivirus but other than that, Windows does a pretty good job as it is in my opinion. Usually it's the utilities and all other crapware which make your computer run slow.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well with MSE you don't really need anti-virus anymore. That and just don't be stupid.

9. ozaz, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

ozaz macrumors 65816

Aesthetics is obviously one of the reasons many people buy Macs but it is one of many reasons, and for me it is not a reason at all since there are now many nice looking Windows computers (e.g. Samsung 9 laptops, Sony Vaio laptops).

When it comes to laptops, I won't be buying another Windows laptop in the foreseeable future because I know with a Mac laptop I get excellent build quality, excellent reliability, excellent customer service (especially with Applecare). I have never had good experience with after-sale customer service from a Windows PC manufacturer (when it comes to home purchases). Furthermore, I know exactly what to expect with my purchase from Apple but not from others. I can't walk into a retailer that sells windows hardware and spend time playing around with the product in the same way I can in an Apple retail store. I have bought 3 windows laptops in the last 4 years and each one I have returned due to unforeseen issues with build quality or fan noise. So I'm willing to pay a premium for the relative confidence I have in my purchase of a Mac laptop. Obviously you get none of this with a Hackintosh.

None of this is the fault of the Windows operating system. It is to do with the manufacturers who don't place as high a value on build quality, customer service, and the retail experience as Apple do.

Similar to neiltc13, I think these issues are somewhat less relevant when it comes to desktop computers.

With regard to the OS itself, it obviously depends on preference, needs, and context. For a home computer that I have to manage myself, I much prefer Mac OS X because of the simple elegance of OS X system preferences versus the labyrinthine Windows 7 control panel and because of the simplicity of Time Machine, Filevault, and home networking in OS X. I'm prepared to pay a premium for these features. At work I prefer to use Windows 7 because system admins manage the systems for me and several pieces of software I use at work are Windows only so running them in a virtual machine or constantly switching to bootcamp leads to inefficiency.

When it comes to the price, don't only consider the purchase price, consider the lifetime cost of ownership. After 4 years, Mac laptops tend to still be in good condition and have decent resale value. After 4 years, a Windows laptop will have a much worse resale value and in the case of a cheap one with poor build quality, may be falling apart and be worthless.

UPDATE: To the OP - have a look at this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=975069

10. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I'd rather have a 5 year old Mac than a new PC