question about my macbook CE screen :D

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XxpikachuxX, Jun 16, 2009.

1. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

yeah it's a CE i dotn care about the updates dont need, firewire,sd,pro sticker:apple: although the backlit keyboard does bother me alittle but didnt have it before and not gonna have it now :p but about the LED LCD its mine the same quality as the new ones? i have the 905A i think for me the black look amazing color pop out beautiful but i just wanna know if the new ones have better screen than mine?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'm guessing you meant 9CA5

With that said, it's a newer UMB screen, but not a "pro" screen.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

How do you tell which one you have?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Open up your color profile (In System Prefs-->Display-->Color) and scroll down to field 13. It'll be on the bottom line, as 00009_ _ _

5. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

I have the so-called crappy 9c89 screen, but ive got it calibrated well and it looks great to me and anyone who sees it compliments on it.

I bought this machine when I needed it, and I don't regret buying it at all. It's paid for and I won't go into debt just to have my screen say "pro"

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'm in the same boat Northstar.

I've got this 9C89 dialed in!

LOL @ your 3GB/s bit in sig. I was tempted to do that as well when I saw all the hubbub about the 13" MBP SATA controller.

7. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

i got the 9CA7. i dont know what to make of this, is it good or bad?

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It's one of the newer screens. Good/Bad is subjective, and depends on your calibration and preference ;)

Edit: If you were fine before looking it up, then it doesn't matter either way... :)

9. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

The calibration im using is the JC Diplay (yes, diplay) from the calibration thread.

The only real reason to want the CE over the pro is the HD controller and the replaceable battery. 2 things im overall happy i have. Can't wait until i get an SSD and can put that 3GB/s speed to use!

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Ah, yeah...

I have the JC Diplay profile as well, but I don't use it anymore. It's too red for my tastes.

11. ssinohio macrumors newbie

I've got this 9C89 dialed in!

LOL @ your 3GB/s bit in sig. I was tempted to do that as well when I saw all the hubbub about the 13" MBP SATA controller.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have the 9C89 in mine and have bad washout and when I move the screen back and forth or move my eyes/head up and down, the colors fade out and I get a negative effect where the light gets black and vice/versa. I tried that calibration that I think you also got from someone on here (SCM2 1.8).
    It changed the color a bit but I still get bad viewing angles on the 'earth on black space' desktop that some of the other posters use as the 'test'. Do you have that issue? I'm looking at going to my apple store and seeing if I can get a new screen installed.

12. Jisuo macrumors 6502

You cannot improve the viewing angles with screen calibration.

13. Apple all life macrumors 6502

OMG everytime I try to calibrate the color of my screen changes from white to blue! I cant even calibrate it!

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Heh, SMC2 1.8 is actually a profile I made!

As for the viewing angles, yeah....that's the panel....no calibration will fix that. Head-on though, that profile works pretty nice I think!! :p

15. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have 9c89 and i think it still looks great. Better than any other laptop screen I have seen

16. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Haven't used many in the recent past/current time, huh?

Calibrated and head-on, the 9C89 can be great, but like, 5* off center vertically and the colors go to crap. IMO that's the biggest problem.

17. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

NewMacBook, what profile are you currently using, I'm happy with JC Diplay, but I'm open to new profiles.

As far as viewing angles are concerned, how lazy do you have to be to not want to move the laptop?

18. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

JC Diplay is a little too yellow for my tastes, I prefer a cooler-blue tone. I'm using the SMC2 1.8 profile that I built, it's posted here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7789610&postcount=17

As for the viewing angles, yeah...it's not hard to move the screen a bit, but it gets old having to constantly adjust it when I move the laptop from my lap to the table and that sort of thing.

19. ssinohio macrumors newbie

for $1700.00 you shouldn't have to move anything to get better angles, there shouldn't be any!! I may take it to the Apple store and see what they can do.

20. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Shouldn't it be 3Gb/s (lowercase b) since the capital B means bytes and the lowercase b means bits? Its not 3 Gigabytes/Sec its 3 Gigabits/sec.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I also have the dreaded 9c89. But I barely notice its crappiness as I don't view the screen in impossible 90* angles. Also, I made a small calibration.

22. Wraz macrumors regular

23. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It cost me $1189 ($1299 list) with my EPP benefit. Either way, it's kind of lame, but whatever.

24. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

Right you are, good catch!

Edit: Tried your profiles NewMacbook. 1.8 is too blue-y and 2.2 isnt too far from JC diplay, but feels a little more washed out.