Question about new AT&T Plans-200mb/month

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleMactablet, Jun 3, 2010.

1. AppleMactablet macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

I never had a data plan before-and had a question if 200mb/month is too little for me

for ex.
    If I opened Google (the Google App), type in ex: "Chuck Norris Facts" and hit the first link, and view the website, for ex: 10minutes, Is the data timed or the amount of clicks..how does it work?:confused:

2. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Its determined by the amount of data used. When you go to a website, you download all of the files it contains(what you are seeing). If you go to MacRumors, you use a certain amount of data. The data amount depends on the amount of information such as text, graphics, video, etc. on the page

Honestly, if all you do is occasional browsing, email, and maybe twitter/facebook, 200mb should be fine. If you watch video, download lots of apps, and look at lots of images(while not on WiFi) you should go with unlimited/2gb.

3. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

--and if not, you can always up it to the 2GB at some point. You can just never go back to the unlimited plan, but since you're actually considering the 200MB that shouldn't be much of a problem.

4. basement zombie macrumors member

It's possible to change your data plan within/during the contract?

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

From what I've read, it appears you can upgrade to the 2 gig plan for that month if you go over 200MB and then go back down. I'm not 100% positive. But what a hassle to micro manage your data and have to call in each month if that's even possible..

6. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Yes, and AT&T is apparently being very good about this with the new plans. You can get the 200mb/mo plan and halfway through the month decide you need to get 2GB, you can either pro-rate it or apply the plan retroactively so you're not losing any money. All without it affecting your contract.

7. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Month to month, yes. I'm not sure about mid-cycle. It wouldn't make much sense for AT&T to allow you to change mid-cycle. If you could, no one would ever pay the $15 extra for 200 more MB, they'd just upgrade to the 2GB plan for $5 less.

So my guess, you can change month to month, just not in the middle of the month.

8. trssho macrumors 6502

I plan to try the 200MB plan to save a little. I have Wifi 90% of the time available to me. If I go on a trip, maybe upgrade for that month. Also, I believe it is $10 if you go over, and that is a one GB block they add to the 200MB. Please correct me if I am wrong.

9. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I believe AT&T sends you warning texts/emails when you approach your limit.

10. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Call in? You can change it online. It takes less than 2 minutes from login to completion to change things on your plan.

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Ah yes, forgot about mywireless.

12. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

If you can change it mid month why would AT&T have the $15 overage on the 200MB plan? Seems like no one would use it, it'd be cheaper and more cost effective to just upgrade to the 2GB plan.

Do you have a link for the mid-month upgrade? If so, that's great. Otherwise I don't think AT&T would allow it.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I think it works like this:

Say you have the 200MB plan, and you go over. You will get charged for an additional $200. You can pick to upgrade that to the $25. So that months bill, say you picked the $25, for data would be $15+$25 = $40.

I assume that's how it works with everything, like data and texting. Or else no one would have massive overages.

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

According to engadget you can go to 2GB and have it retroactively apply. So If you get a message that says you have used 90%, you can jump to the 2GB and pay a total of $25 for that month.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yep, you can sign up for three of them at certain levels. You can also download the MyWireless app, which allows you to view how much data and minutes you've used. I think there's also a star code -- like *DATA -- to check how much you've used.

If you don't download big files like podcasts or watch a lot of streaming video, you're not going to top 2GB. If you just do mostly Web browsing, you likely won't top 200MB. This also depends on how much you use the device on WiFi.

If you start out on a plan, I'd start out on the $25 plan just to be safe. After a couple of months, if you're not topping 200MB, switch to the $15 plan.

What tickles me is how people are complaining even though the old unlimited plans are being grandfathered in and this SAVES MOST OF US MONEY. Most of these people have probably been jailbreaking their phones and using a tethering app, which is causing trouble for the vast majority of people who don't do such a thing. I don't really have sympathy for them. It sounds like you (the OP) and I are among the 98 percent who will be saving money.

16. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

with 200 mb, your phone is only good for emails and casual web browsing

17. jmo1116 macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=926982 ;)

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

AT&T has confirmed on its facebook page and elsewhere that customers will be able to move freely between the plans at any time without penalty and without extending their contract. They have also confirmed that customers have the choice of making those changes pro-rated from the date of the change or retroactive to the first day of the billing cycle. Thus it should be perfectly possible to switch back and forth between the plans based on your current month's usage. You will just have to remember to check before the end of each cycle and make whatever change will be most beneficial.

19. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

and for people who use wifi.

20. plusonechoi macrumors member

I just spoke to my friend who works for AT&T regarding grandfathering in. Yes, current iPhone plans are getting grandfathered in, but once you upgrade to the 4G you must be on the new plan.

21. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

[​IMG]

That's my usage since last November, as charted at attwireless.com.

My iPad was received on April 30th so you can see the drop in usage in May. For June I have used 42MBs in 8 days, or tracking to 157MBs.

My typical usage is web surfing here and at some other forums, lots of Facebooking, plenty of ingoing and outgoing email, some uploading of pics to Facebook and to Photobucket, and watching the occasional YouTube video....about one or two/week.

I am going to ditch the $30 unlimited plan and go for the $15/200MB plan for my iPhone.

On my iPad I'll switch from the $15/plan to the $30/Unlimited plan.

Net change in cost.........$0!

But I can take my iPad anywhere and use it without worry, as the Unlimited plan will be grandfathered in.

22. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the iPad will have an unlimited plan any longer, it will be the 2GB $25 package.

23. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I so wish they offered a 500MB plan. 200MB seems just a bit too little for a lot of people (at least according to data usage graphs in another thread).

24. lasuther macrumors 6502a

65% of iphones use less than 200MB of data.

25. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Correct...he is saying he will add the unlimited plan before the 7th on the iPad, and switch to the lower iPhone plan on/after the 7th...unless Im wrong! lol :rolleyes: