Question about quality of video over MMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pound4pound30, Sep 19, 2010.

1. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

I just received a video on my phone from MMS. Why is it that the quality is so bad?

She sent it from an iPhone 4 to my iPhone 4.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because it has to be compressed to be able to be sent over the cellular network and it has to be able to be played on other dumb phones.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's not the issue.

Your phone will resize a photo/video/audio clip to whatever the "MMS Max Message Size" setting is set to in:

Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network

Most networks can only support sending MMS up to 300kb.

You don't need to worry about the capabilities of the recipient's device as the network will take care of that automatically.

Attached Files:

5. dpizz450 macrumors newbie

What about sending it from wifi to wifi? You should be able to send whatever size video you want without the quality downgrading, correct?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

MMS don't get set over WiFi.

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

The problem is that MMS is a pretty bad technology, which is why it wasn't included in the first iterations of iPhone OS. Email is far superior.

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I was wondering the same thing as the OP. Thanks for the info, guys. :D

9. shandyman Suspended

that only works if you're on an iPhone where you can change those settings as you cannot do that on every phone....

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What only works if you can change the settings?

Just changing the maximum size wont make your carrier support an MMS that big (I never said that).

Whatever the maximum size is set to by the carrier settings file is usually the largest size that the carrier supports.

If you set it any higher, you might not be able to send an MMS or it could be dropped by your carrier.

You might even get charged for it.

11. shandyman Suspended

you can't change any of the settings on some iPhones as asome carriers hide that whole menu, like orange in the UK

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It wouldn't help, Orange only supports 300kb MMS.

13. shandyman Suspended

that wasn't my point. there are other networks in the world that hide the menu as well, orange was just an example.

14. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It still doesn't make any difference.

Whatever the carrier has set that setting to (regardless of whether you can see it or not), the phone will send an MMS at no greater than that size.

I don't think any carrier would set it to an amount that wasn't best for their network.

15. shandyman Suspended

so point out the settings then if there's no point changing that amount manually. you made your own post redundant.... :rolleyes:

16. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Read my post again:

Three things:

1) The setting exists whether you can see it or not.

2) The vast majority of people with an iPhone will be able to see the setting.

3) I didn't say people could change it, nor did I say that they should try (they shouldn't).

17. shandyman Suspended

oh i get it, you were saying all that just so people will think you're smart.... fine then.

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

No, I was answering a question that someone posted in the forum.

19. shandyman Suspended

you actually were telling someone they were wrong, then proving them right and actually agreeing with them, intell said that it gets compressed to be sent over the cellular network, which you said was wrong, then said that MMS is limited to 300kb and that an item is resized for that, for all intents and purposes, that's the same thing, unless you want to quibble over semantics....

20. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

No, I told them they were wrong because they are!

The size limit has nothing to do with other phones, that isn't relevant to MMS.

The recipient's MMSC determines whether it should forward a piece of content to the recipient's device and if so, how big the resulting clip/photo should be. If you send a 300kb image and the recipient's phone can only handle a 150kb image, that'll be handled by their carrier - not your phone or your carrier.

MMS is actually very good. It's not perfect, but it's designed to solve a lot of the problems that injecting multimedia content into a system that was originally designed for voice calls brings. Differing device capabilities is just one of those problems.

The size limit (300kb in general) is purely down to specific carrier policies. Many of them like the idea of charging way over the odds for a 300kb image knowing that you could send something much bigger via email for free!

21. shandyman Suspended

they are not wrong. a picture or video will be compressed to fit the 300Kb limit to send via MMS, ergo what they said is correct. yes the post went on to say something about other phones, but his INITIAL statement was correct. if it doesn't compress, how does a file over 300Kb get sent via MMS? lol.

i only quoted the first bit as that's the only bit that was relevant to what i said originally, but you waffled on about stuff that wasn't really relevant to my point, like you're trying to shout me down, that or you just talk too much

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It was just one statement as far as I was concerned.

I didn't say the first bit was wrong (although it isn't necessarily right in all situations).

The 300kb limit is purely commercial and has no technical reasoning behind it.

23. shandyman Suspended

you negeated is correct primary point based on an incorrect and irrelevant secondary point? harsh indeed! you quoted his whole post, not just part of it, or clearly state that he was partly wrong, just the whole thing, go back and look if you want....

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's not that uncommon for people to quote an entire post but to only refer to part of it.

If you really want me to, I'll look at the post again:

That isn't correct. MMS can handle any size of message (theoretically). The setting in the phone COULD also be incorrect (not likely).

As I've shown above, this isn't correct.

25. shandyman Suspended

he was responding to the OP who said the video sent from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 was of low quality. that in itself means it was compressed as pretty much any video you make on an iPhone 4 will be over 300Kb. Intell's point of it being compressed was correct, as the conversation was about the video..... you're still bringing up the 2nd part, which i have already agreed was irrelevant and wrong, so why you keep banging on about that i have no idea.