Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Ok, I've only had my Macbook for several days now and I believe a failed system update messed up my computer. On boot up I sometimes get a circle with a slash, and I seem to getting more and more spinning beach balls. Some of which spin and won't let me do anything.

Last night I ran Disk Repair and then I ran Time Machine for the first time. My question is that if I were going to reinstall OSX will Time Machine put all of my programs, settings and anything I changed back in the new install?

I'd like to put my Macbook back to the way it is now but without the spinning beach balls and startup problems.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
First off, did Disk Repair find any problems?

If the drive's ok, then you can use Time Machine to migrate apps and data to a clean install of Leopard.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
As far as I know, Disk Repair didn't fix the problems I am having. Will Time Machine put back specific settings I have set up for programs?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
As far as I know, Disk Repair didn't fix the problems I am having. Will Time Machine put back specific settings I have set up for programs?

Yes, it should. There options for which items you want to migrate - it sounds like you want to migrate everything, which would in include your ~/Library folder. All your settings should be there. Sometimes you'll have to reenter a serial number, or reauthorize an app, but for the most part it does a thorough job.

Here's a KB on the Migration Assistant: Mac OS X 10.5: Using Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.