Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vin365

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Today my friend gave me his old half broken iphone. The bottom of it has dead spots. If I were to go to the Apple Store and pay $199 would they repair it even though he went in 2 weeks ago to get a new one. Seee... he went to apple with the iphone i have now(the one he gave to me) and got a replacement by paying the fee but they gave it to him back. So would I be able to get a replacement?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Today my friend gave me his old half broken iphone. The bottom of it has dead spots. If I were to go to the Apple Store and pay $199 would they repair it even though he went in 2 weeks ago to get a new one. Seee... he went to apple with the iphone i have now(the one he gave to me) and got a replacement by paying the fee but they gave it to him back. So would I be able to get a replacement?

If you pay the fee, I see no reason why not. But its going to be the same phone repaired, unless they deem it too costly for them and you, then, its much easier to just give you a refurb and charge you $199.

Quick question, are you AT&T costumer?

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Something doesn't add up

why would your friend pay for a brand new iphone when he could have just gotten his old one repaired/replaced for $199 ?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Something doesn't add up

why would your friend pay for a brand new iphone when he could have just gotten his old one repaired/replaced for $199 ?

Because two weeks ago ATT and Apple didnt offer the 199 replacement. Its only about a week old.

Vin365

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2009
he got a new one cause he was eligible for the 3 upgrade so he took it and let him keep the 2g one to.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
he got a new one cause he was eligible for the 3 upgrade so he took it and let him keep the 2g one to.

oh thanks for clarifying

umm I don't think apple will let you trade in a 2g for a 3G iphone for 199, at least not without making you sign a 2 year contract

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Your problem's the screen isn't it? Unfortunately I think the screen's a nightmare to fix on the 2G but maybe someone here can help you out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.