Question about returning the free itouch in the BTS promo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikeyiphone, Aug 23, 2009.

1. mikeyiphone macrumors regular

I have an iPhone thats 8GB, I really don't need the iTouch.

Can i bring the iTouch back to another apple store and return it for store credit or money?

They make you buy it up front so the receipt will show you technically bought it.

Another idea is to maybe try best buy or costco. I am trying to avoid the ebay or craigslist.

Anyone have any ideas??

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I believe that you cannot return it without dealing with returning the computer, I may be wrong about that though. But, I recall users asking about this last year and that was the conclusion.

The best suggestion I have is Craigslist, unless you live in area that does not have it. May I ask why you do not wish to sell it there?

3. vant macrumors 65816

You can't return it to the Apple store if you submitted the rebate.

Your best bet is to try and sell it on CL.

4. csmitty macrumors regular

I've got mine on Craigslist, havn't really had an problems with stuff I've sold there other than the scammers but they're easy to spot.

If you can return it to the apple store that'd be interesting. Not sure how you would go about returning it to bestbuy or costco. Most of them keep receipts in the system.

I've got mine listed for $200, just free money to me at that point. Ebay you have to pay the fee's so thats why I started on CL.

5. mikeyiphone thread starter macrumors regular

The reason i wanted to avoid craigslist/ebay was cause of scammers and to try and get the full value of the iTouch (close to 250 if you count the tax). Also factor in i never sold anything on those 2 sites.

Im thinking if i walk into an apple store, with the box unopened and still sealed, tell them i got it as a gift and i have one already, i would assume they could at least give me store credit???

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

dude, you realize they are sending you a rebate of the value of the ipod right?

then sell it for whatever you want and that is pure profit

you need to rethink what you are trying to do as it really doesn make too much sense

7. mkaake macrumors 65816

Wow - that's blatantly trying to rip off the company that gave it to you free of charge in the first place. How about this - since it didn't cost you anything, you can use it, sell it, or give it away?

:rolleyes:

I'm sure at the very least, you can get back the sales tax you paid on it...

8. mikeyiphone thread starter macrumors regular

It makes sense, I am just trying to get the most money i can for it. I can get more money back on the product if i return it then if i sell it on ebay, craigslist, etc.

9. vant macrumors 65816

Apple actually keeps track of the serial number, so returning it will make you look stupid.

Take this as a present from Apple (which it is) and just sell it naturally. Don't try to cheat the system when it's already giving you free stuff.

10. mikeyiphone thread starter macrumors regular

Your making me feel bad now lol Im not pulling off a big scam, if they did accept the iTouch and gave me store credit, they'll just go and resell the phone back to someone else, they dont lose out. Also the store credit is money that will go back to them eventually, probably for the next iPhone.

11. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Sell it on eBay or Craigslist, you are getting the money you paid for it back so any money you get is free money, even if you were to only get $20, it's $20 more than you had yesterday...

12. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Are you crazy? Seriously!? You're getting the FULL PRICE back in a REBATE from Apple, then SELLING that is 100% profit, if you return it, the only thing you're going to get back is the money you already spent. So therefore you make nothing, and if you have sent it for the rebate and try to return it, that's called fraud.

13. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

OP I hope that there is a misunderstanding somewhere.

You buy a mac and the ipod touch is added on. you pay for it at the time of purchase. then you submit a rebate form to Apple and they send you the purchase price of the touch back to you less taxes. Right? so are you asking if you can return it to apple and forgo the rebate, or are you asking can you get the rebate and return it also. if you are asking the later, as they have said, that is fraud and can possibly send you to jail. if you want to return it and forget the rebate because you can not be out the money for a few weeks that is one thing, but to try to rip them or any other company off is not only illegal but immoral.

BTW, if you do decide to sell it privately, don't expect to get full retail price plus taxes out of it. when you sell something privately you have to make a reason someone would take the time to buy it from you instead of just running out to the nearest store to get it. that usually is price. you make it cheaper than what they can get it at the store and there is a reason they buy from you.

besides, the ebay & craigslist market is FLOODED with these right now. All from people trying to do the exact same thing. the average price on CL here in chicago is about $170-$200 for the 8GB touch and even at that price they are sittin on there for a week or two before they get sold.

14. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Why did you buy the ipod in the first place if you don't need it? The $229 you get through the rebate is for the Ipod, not the computer.

Like people have said returning the ipod makes no sense whatsoever, as you would just get your money back.

The rules for the offer clearly state that once you return either the computer or the ipod, your rebate is canceled.

And there is no way you're gonna get anywhere close to MSRP, especially with rumors of the new ipod touch coming out. I was only able to get about $200 for mine($190 actually if you count ebay fees:mad:).

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I wanted to get a 32GB iPod instead of the 8GB when I completed this rebate last year. Instead of doing an exchange, the cashier gave me a refund. I did end up buying an iPod later on, but that was weeks later.

I got my rebate check in less than a week after sending it in (so it was within the 14-day return period).

And I do not condone returning iPods after getting the rebate.

16. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

+1
    There is no way you are going to be able to return the iPod AND get the rebate. Simple as that. It would be nice but it's not going to happen.

And your logic is incorrect in that it is doing no harm to Apple because you forget profit margins. They give you an iPod that sells at $230 WITH the purchase of a computer but the iPod only costs them say $130 to make. Now instead of being $130 out, they are $230 out as that iPod you 'returned' makes them no money.

I ended up selling my iPod for $180 on Craigslist and am quite happy about it and if you want to make max profit you better get it listed before the new ones come out!

Edit: well seeing the post above I guess you have a chance but you also have a chance of getting your rebate canceled, my rebate took about 3 weeks to ship unlike his.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple used to send out printer rebates within days (3-4 days), up until a few months ago. They figured out that some folks were returning the printers after having already cashed their rebate check, so their new policy is to not send rebate checks until after the 14-day return window had passed.

18. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

you can return it at walmart with no receipt and get store credit...

walmart lets you do like 3 no receipt returns a year or something

19. illicium macrumors regular

"Return" it to Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart generally takes things "back" without a receipt and issues store credit.

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I did the back to school thing last year, and i'm pretty sure its the same this year, but don't you have to submit a cutout of the UPC not only from the ipod box but from the computer box also. No retailer is going to take that back no matter how nicely you ask.

Full price...lol....people on craigslist don't even pay full price without tax (since those items can be easily had) and they won't pay anywhere near retail for a compromised box. Part of the deal is that they have no track record from you (similar to a small business) so you have to give them a reason to give them your business.

21. ghettochild macrumors regular

Incorrect. You don't have to cut out/mail in anything. You submit your rebate claim online.

22. jorasho macrumors regular

Well, it might be country dependent, but in Holland you can submit your rebate online, after which you will get a form which you will have to send (by mail) with the bill and both serial label with the remainder of the package to which it is attached.

23. uniforms macrumors regular

Apple should NOT Take back your return. IF they do, I want to sell my Apple stock! I would hope and imagine that they would scan the serial number in and say, sorry, this was part of a rebate. I would be so thankful they gave you an opportunity to get a free, FREE iTouch! If you don't need it, you will sell it right away on Ebay. So, look at your fortune and not try to take advantage of the system. It's things just like this that has brought the US to the condition it is. If you try to return something in most other countries, it has to be damaged before they would take it back and it's only exchange. When you buy it, it yours! I think we should adopt that here in the U.S. Too many people doing what you suggest, and we all wind up paying for it.

Wait till you finish school and start working in the real world.

24. ste1989 macrumors member

I would go down the eBay route.
    I didnt want to, but I gave in and it worked well

paid the £165 for it in the apple shop
    got the £145 rebate through the post.

So there, the ipod has cost £20.

I put it on ebay on a 3-day auction starting at 99p.
    at the time of selling, It had reached £141.79

So we are £20 down at the moment
    Plus the £141.79

And so I am in £121.79 Profit, knocking the price of my macbook pro 13" from

£772 - £121 = £651

And also If you count the printer rebate aswell its even cheaper - Under £600. Not bad I think, considering Im not in higher education :D

25. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

Why is it so hard to sell your iPod via legal means? I mean, do you really have to try to defraud the very system that is giving you this iPod for free?

You won't get full value regardless -- no need to hold too closely to that thought. Sell it for a bit less and move on with life. In the grand scheme of things, ~$50 is not going to make you any richer in the long-term.