Question about ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigwayne3000, Jun 26, 2010.

1. bigwayne3000 macrumors regular

I never owned an iPhone before and am on the priority list at my local store for the new one. I will be switching from a crap BB Storm VZW to the new iPhone. My question is, can you use the songs in iTunes as ringtones as well or no? I would assume so but I also would have assumed Apple would put in an indicator light to make it easier to see if you have any type of notifications w/o having to hit the home button or unlocking the phone so I never now...

2. kr00k322 macrumors 6502

I personally use Garage Band to create ringtones on my Macbook. When I'm done with them I can send them straight to iTunes. There are a few programs that you can do the same thing on Windows as well but I haven't used it in so long that I forgot how.

3. Nicklaus macrumors 6502

Nicklaus

I have a question about ringtones what the hell is that robot saying in one of the default ringtones. :)

4. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

ok well I dont have a Mac so Garage Band is out of the question. My main question was can I just select a song on the phone and have it as my ringtone or as with everything Apple will I have to jump thru hoops just to get a song for a ringtone by d/l programs I dont want or spending money to convert them?

5. Nicklaus macrumors 6502

Nicklaus

Do you mean some way other than buying them thru the phone via iTunes?

6. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Google how to create a ringtone through itunes. there are tons of tutorials out there and they're really easy to do.

7. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

yes other than buying it thru iTunes. I'm not buying a song for a ringtone when I already have the song in iTunes.

8. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

ok so according to Google results I have to go thru like a 5 step process just to get a 30 second clip of a song to use as a ringtone? so iPhone 4 is supposed to change everything but on my piece of crap BB Storm I can use any song I want that I transfer to the phone (from iTunes by the way) as my ringtone and it is not relegated to a crap 30 second clip. Another good job Apple. I'm still getting iPhone 4 but the ridiculousness never ceases to amaze me.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Here, let me make this easy for you.

http://bit.ly/d9Lha1

10. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

oh ok only 17 steps to getting a ringtone to songs that are already in iTunes on my phone but yet Apple doesnt let you use them as ringtones. Always thinking forward Apple, thats why I love you. I hate that the company is so ass backwards but the phone is so sexy and will be getting it regardless of the idiot who runs the company.

11. kaizer85 macrumors member

www.mytinyphone.com

search for whatever song if they have preview it download it as a iphone file and then load it onto itunes and sync

12. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

your phone only rings for 30 seconds max, so why would you want a full song as a ringtone?

13. LocoMoco macrumors member

YouTube it. There are a few step by step Vids. Works awesome!

14. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

idk, i never owned an iphone, this would be my first. I have my last 2 phones over the last 5 or so years were BlackBerries and if I synched my iTunes music to my BB phone I can go to the media section of the phone and select it as a ringtone right from the phone and it would actually play the whole song if it rang long enough. I assumed an iPhone would be just as easy but evidently not.

15. LocoMoco macrumors member

No. It's a separate file and file name. It's still managed thru iTunes.

16. kr00k322 macrumors 6502

The easiest process is to go into the store and buy ringtones..that's 1 step. Or you can just do the grunt work and take a few extra minutes make the ringtone and sync it. It's not as easy as your Storm as you've stated, but they're in the business of selling ringtones. I would doubt that they would make it super easy to bypass the option directly on the device.

17. kaizer85 macrumors member

if u goto the link ive posted it pretty much easy all u do is search for whatever song dl it as a iphone file(M4R) then add it to itunes then sync. its that easy and simple.

18. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose so krook didnt really think about it that way. But they're in the business of selling songs as well and you can simply d/l a song from youtube using a website and use it in iTunes. Apple as a company is just backwards. I mean look at that guy who created an app to let you sync iTunes and iPods/iPhones wirelessly. How can he do it but yet Apple doesnt allow him to sell that app or doesnt let you wirelessly do it yet themselves? None the less I'm on the priority list for the iPhone only because no other phone out there really intrigues me plus my Storm is just god awful.

19. LocoMoco macrumors member

20. kr00k322 macrumors 6502

Yes they are in the business of selling songs as well..which you sync in iTunes. There are other ways around it but you're still going to have to do extra work to get it for free.

21. ttech10 macrumors 6502

You have people that ring you up for 3+ minutes?

This has to be a joke, I don't know anyone who's phone rings longer than 30 seconds either from being picked up, the person hanging up or voicemail getting it.

If taking 1 minute out of your busy life to make a ringtone in iTunes is too hard for you maybe you should just stick with a Blackberry.

22. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

The 1 min it takes to do the 17 steps it takes to make a ringtone is not the problem. The fact that there are phones like the BB that do not require those steps is the problem. Why make it such a pain in the ass for people to make ringtones when it is easily done on other phones just so Apple can reach into the pockets of people a bit more. Also, what if I decide when I'm out that I want to put a song for a contact? I have to wait until I'm at my comp to do so when it would much but easier just to do it right from the phone. I was simply using the 3+ mins as an example. Regardless, such as the wireless synching it makes no sense for Apple to not allow it.

23. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I have to agree.

I forgot to put a ringtone on my phone when I set it up in iTunes so I had to boot up the computer, open iTunes and do all the stuff to make a free ringtone.

Then I had to sync the phone (which takes a while with the backup) and then I had to set the ringtone I wanted in the menu on the phone.

25. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

it is very easy to make ringtones or to use the website i already provided. i have made upwards of around 40 for me and friends.
    its not apple that doesn't allow it att has a limit on ringtone length.