Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mushraeddur

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Mount Washington, KY
ok well I dont have a Mac so Garage Band is out of the question. My main question was can I just select a song on the phone and have it as my ringtone or as with everything Apple will I have to jump thru hoops just to get a song for a ringtone by d/l programs I dont want or spending money to convert them?

I don't know about the iphone 4 (still waiting on mine), but you can do it with your songs...but you do have some hoops to jump through. Here is one of many youtube videos that offer a walkthrough on the "hoops" to do it.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Create-Ringtones-for-Your-iPhone-13120775

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Plus you don't always want all of the song. some may be too quiet at first or you don't want that part.

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
HOW about sms AND email alerts?

now that is some BS that i have to complain about

my berry let me put anything i wanted for emails and messages, but now i have the greatest phone ever made, and i have no way to make my own shizzzz...

i know it is stupid, but this sux

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
The 1 min it takes to do the 17 steps it takes to make a ringtone is not the problem. The fact that there are phones like the BB that do not require those steps is the problem. Why make it such a pain in the ass for people to make ringtones when it is easily done on other phones just so Apple can reach into the pockets of people a bit more.

If you feel that doing it for the iPhone is that difficult, I invite you to try and make a ringtone for a Palm smartphone. It makes the iPhone look like a walk in the park. I'm more than happy to make the ringtones for myself, it allows me to pick the particular part of the song I would like to use, instead of always gettting the beginning of that 3+ minute song you describe.

The frustrating part for me and many others is the lack of ability to do the same thing for SMS and/or mail. Would rather change one of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.