Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm planning on buying iPhone 12 Pro Max 512 for me and my wife. We both currently have iPhone Xs Max 512GB. I'm trying to decide what to do with our current phones (Trade in for new purchase or get bill credits).

I read through some of the thread regarding AT&T $800 bill credit but not sure how that would apply to me since we both have the grandfathered unlimited plan.

Having said that, I'm debating my options which are:

1) Trade in to Apple
- Will I get instant credit I can use towards the purchase of the new phones or will I get an Apple gift card?

2) Trade in to At&T
- Not sure about $800 bill credit and I'm sure my current plan won't allow it. Also, I wouldn't want to go into a store to try and get the $800 credit tomorrow or during launch.
- Order my phones in the morning through Apple and after I get them in and activated, go into AT&T to get instant bill credit added to my account (what I did last time) I'm leaning towards this but just want to ask if anyone has any thoughts?

I appreciate any responses you guys have to offer!

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm planning on buying iPhone 12 Pro Max 512 for me and my wife. We both currently have iPhone Xs Max 512GB. I'm trying to decide what to do with our current phones (Trade in for new purchase or get bill credits).

I read through some of the thread regarding AT&T $800 bill credit but not sure how that would apply to me since we both have the grandfathered unlimited plan.

1) Trade in to Apple
- Will I get instant credit I can use towards the purchase of the new phones or will I get an Apple gift card?

2) Trade in to At&T
- Not sure about $800 bill credit and I'm sure my current plan won't allow it. Also, I wouldn't want to go into a store to try and get the $800 credit tomorrow or during launch.
- Order my phones in the morning through Apple and after I get them in and activated, go into AT&T to get instant bill credit added to my account (what I did last time) I'm leaning towards this but just want to ask if anyone has any thoughts?

We have grandfathered unlimited plans Unlimited&More and the trade deal in is eligible for this plan. This deal is a no brainer.

Reactions: hansokl

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
I'm no expert, but when you read the AT&T fine print, it says you need to be on one of their new 5G plans. So you wouldn't be able to keep your grandfathered plan

Looks like that's not the case...Not sure where I thought I got that from.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I'm no expert, but when you read the AT&T fine print, it says you need to be on one of their new 5G plans. So you wouldn't be able to keep your grandfathered plan

You don’t need to be on a new 5G plan.

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
We have grandfathered unlimited plans Unlimited&More and the trade deal in is eligible for this plan. This deal is a no brainer.
Thanks for the response! (especially so quick)

Do you mind walking through how this works? I began the pre-order process via Apple app:
1) I selected new phone, and no to trade in with Apple (says select no to get ATT offer and that I'll trade in directly with ATT after my purchase)
2) I selected to Pay in full

Sounds like I'll be able to purchase from Apple but no instructions on the trade in deal? What I would like to see happen is do that and receive/activate my new phones then take our old phones into an AT&T store to get the bill credit added. I don't mind shipping our current phones to ATT either but obviously can't do it until I have new ones in hand and activated.

Do you or anyone else know how this will work? Also, would I be able to get double credit (for each new phone purchased/traded in)?

Thanks again!

LouE37

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Thanks for the response! (especially so quick)

Do you mind walking through how this works? I began the pre-order process via Apple app:
1) I selected new phone, and no to trade in with Apple (says select no to get ATT offer and that I'll trade in directly with ATT after my purchase)
2) I selected to Pay in full

Sounds like I'll be able to purchase from Apple but no instructions on the trade in deal? What I would like to see happen is do that and receive/activate my new phones then take our old phones into an AT&T store to get the bill credit added. I don't mind shipping our current phones to ATT either but obviously can't do it until I have new ones in hand and activated.

Do you or anyone else know how this will work? Also, would I be able to get double credit (for each new phone purchased/traded in)?

Thanks again!
My understanding is that you order through Apple, some say ATT order works also, and select to pay via ATT installments over the next 30 mo. in order to get the $700 credit $800 is only for the 12 pro, not pro max. You don't get the trade-in value, you get the $700 credit for having a device that is over $95 worth of trade-in value. Hopefully that helps. You can't pay in full, you have to pay over 30 mo., the $700 is split over that timeline each month.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
With AT&T you don't get instant trade in. They get the $700 or $800 and do monthly deductions in 30 months. Upgraded my Mom's8+ to an iPhone 12. Will pay $5 a month for next 30 months. I didn't get the $5 extra next upgrade option. I don't plan on leaving AT&T and my mom upgrades every 24-30 months.

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
My understanding is that you order through Apple, some say ATT order works also, and select to pay via ATT installments over the next 30 mo. in order to get the $700 credit $800 is only for the 12 pro, not pro max. You don't get the trade-in value, you get the $700 credit for having a device that is over $95 worth of trade-in value. Hopefully that helps. You can't pay in full, you have to pay over 30 mo., the $700 is split over that timeline each month.
Thank you!

So yeah went back in the Apple store app and see where it says requires 30 month installment plan and I have 30 days to trade in the old devices in store after activating my new one. I guess the only issue with that is having to pay monthly payments for more than 24 months. I typically get a new phone every 2 years.

It says From $46.64 and before AT&T trade in. I'm not seeing the actual monthly installment price for the phone I selected (12 Pro Max 512GB) so how much would that be?

I'm assuming I'll pay whatever the installment price would be minus the $700/30 months?

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
With AT&T you don't get instant trade in. They get the $700 or $800 and do monthly deductions in 30 months. Upgraded my Mom's8+ to an iPhone 12. Will pay $5 a month for next 30 months. I didn't get the $5 extra next upgrade option. I don't plan on leaving AT&T and my mom upgrades every 24-30 months.
Thanks for the response! What is the $5 per month you are paying compared to the $5 extra next upgrade option?

Stridr69

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Good afternoon everyone!

1) Trade in to Apple

2) Trade in to At&T

I did the trade in to Apple at my local Apple Store. I traded in an Xs Max(64GB, as-new condition) and received $370 for it. So my $999 cost went down to $629. Had to pay the $999 tax though($72). So yes you get instant credit at the Apple store.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Thanks for the response! What is the $5 per month you are paying compared to the $5 extra next upgrade option?
iPhone 12 256 was $950 - $800= $150 (divide by 30 =$5 a month) Add the $5 extra to get the mid upgrade eligible on at&t next plan. I didn't get this option. Again my mom upgrades every 24-30 months. Without that option and I leave at&t I would lose all my credits.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
Thank you!

So yeah went back in the Apple store app and see where it says requires 30 month installment plan and I have 30 days to trade in the old devices in store after activating my new one. I guess the only issue with that is having to pay monthly payments for more than 24 months. I typically get a new phone every 2 years.

It says From $46.64 and before AT&T trade in. I'm not seeing the actual monthly installment price for the phone I selected (12 Pro Max 512GB) so how much would that be?

I'm assuming I'll pay whatever the installment price would be minus the $700/30 months?
You are not 'locked' in for 30 months. If you wanted to upgrade after 2 years, you could either trade it in to AT&T, I believe you only have to have paid off 50% of the phone to be able to do so and you would obviosuly be there. Or you could payoff the remaining balance at that time which after 24 months would be $280 on the 12 Pro Max 512GB and sell it privately.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Don’t complicate it. If you’re on one of the eligible plans you can take advantage of the trade in deal.

When you order from Apple don’t choose trade in. Then order thru Apple and select AT&T installment plan.

When you get you’re phone take your trade in into an AT&T store and tell them you want to intimate the trade in deal.

Done ez pz

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
iPhone 12 256 was $950 - $800= $150 (divide by 30 =$5 a month) Add the $5 extra to get the mid upgrade eligible on at&t next plan. I didn't get this option. Again my mom upgrades every 24-30 months. Without that option and I leave at&t I would lose all my credits.
Ahh thanks makes sense. Just wasn't familiar with installment plans

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
You are not 'locked' in for 30 months. If you wanted to upgrade after 2 years, you could either trade it in to AT&T, I believe you only have to have paid off 50% of the phone to be able to do so and you would obviosuly be there. Or you could payoff the remaining balance at that time which after 24 months would be $280 on the 12 Pro Max 512GB and sell it privately.
Thanks!

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Don’t complicate it. If you’re on one of the eligible plans you can take advantage of the trade in deal.

When you order from Apple don’t choose trade in. Then order thru Apple and select AT&T installment plan.

When you get you’re phone take your trade in into an AT&T store and tell them you want to intimate the trade in deal.

Done ez pz
Thanks! Ha yeah, just wanted to see what I was getting myself into and to not lose my grandfathered unlimited plan. If my math is correct:

$58.29 per month for 30 months (512GB 12 Pro Max)
$700/30 months = $23.33 so I'd look at paying $34.96 for 30 months

That's my plan and thanks again for the help!

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas

Done ez pz
I believe I read on one of the threads here that some people were having issues trying to take their trade in to at&t. I believe they said that they were told that they would have to mail in their trades because they entered the promo code and printed the trade in form. Does this seem accurate? Should I not print the form and just take the iPhone directly to a corporate store to avoid that issue and still receive the credit?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I believe I read on one of the threads here that some people were having issues trying to take their trade in to at&t. I believe they said that they were told that they would have to mail in their trades because they entered the promo code and printed the trade in form. Does this seem accurate? Should I not print the form and just take the iPhone directly to a corporate store to avoid that issue and still receive the credit?

I took 2 iPhones to a corporate store for the trade in deal on 2 different days. Was no problem.

The reps did say people were having issues because they chose trade in when ordering online. Don’t choose that option just choose AT&T installments with no trade in and take it into corporate store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.