Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenscanon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Hello everyone!

I just received my new MacBook Air and I absolutely love it. I am however interested in freeing up some space by removing some applications that I know I will never use, such as GarageBand.

Can I just delete these from my applications folder to uninstall them, or is it recommended that I do a clean install of OS X and do a custom install without these applications?

thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello everyone!

I just received my new MacBook Air and I absolutely love it. I am however interested in freeing up some space by removing some applications that I know I will never use, such as GarageBand.

Can I just delete these from my applications folder to uninstall them, or is it recommended that I do a clean install of OS X and do a custom install without these applications?

thanks

You can delete such apps, but doing so may not save you as much space as you expect. Removing the GarageBand loops will save some space, however.

Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use app cleaner. It will let you uninstall any app or program.
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

You should try it. It does do a search and find all the associated folders that go with the app. I think its a pretty good app.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You should try it. It does do a search and find all the associated folders that go with the app. I think its a pretty good app.
If you took the time to read the links I posted, you'd see I have tested many such apps and have found them all less than completely effective, with AppCleaner being one of the poorer performers of the lot.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
If you took the time to read the links I posted, you'd see I have tested many such apps and have found them all less than completely effective, with AppCleaner being one of the poorer performers of the lot.

I know it doesn't always remove everything but its quick easy and does a decent job. When I do the finder search for chess after I used app cleaner I get nothing. I get nothing with Photo Booth either. I saw your test and I have used all app deletion software as well. There is no perfect way to uninstall everything. Its a hit and miss no matter what road you take.

http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/utilities-roundups/6-ways-to-correctly-delete-applications/

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know it doesn't always remove everything but its quick easy and does a decent job. When I do the finder search for chess after I used app cleaner I get nothing. I get nothing with Photo Booth either. I saw your test and I have used all app deletion software as well. There is no perfect way to uninstall everything. Its a hit and miss no matter what road you take.
In all but very rare cases, manual deletion is 100% effective, and takes less than a minute. Use whatever method you prefer, but if the goal is freeing up space, AppCleaner and similar apps are not effective. That includes all the apps in the link you posted, which I have tested many times.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hello everyone!

Drag the app to the trash, "empty trash", done. On the other hand, I'd keep a backup somewhere. (Plug USB stick into Mac, drag app on the USB stick, "Eject", done). "Never" is a very long time, and you can't be sure that you will "never" use it.

rosschang

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
If you want it to be really clean, use your restore disc *if they still give it out*... and perform a fresh install...

Slightly longer than manually removing/uninstalling stuff but absolutely effective :D

kenscanon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it.

In any case, it sounds like the manual deletion route could be just as effective and "easier" than doing a clean custom install?

I believe that if I do remove applications such as GarageBand, I can easily reinstall them via the app store since it looks like they are registered to me now.

Full disclosure: while I am fairly, or maybe even very comfortable with Macs, this is my first computer that I have had in a while. I was using a mid-2007 MacBook for a long time until the display died. I was getting by on just my iPad for the longest time, until I picked up this MBA just yesterday as I need a new computer for classes that I am starting in the fall.

I think I am still going to mull over how I am going to approach freeing up some space on my ssd, and for now just enjoy my new Mac for the rest of the night! I am still getting used to all the new features of 10.8!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it.

In any case, it sounds like the manual deletion route could be just as effective and "easier" than doing a clean custom install?
Yes, uninstalling apps is quite easy. Just follow the instructions posted and you'll be fine. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.