Question about upgrading my iPhone and keeping my AT&T Unlimited Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnkbro, Jul 2, 2011.

1. dnkbro macrumors regular

Hey guys. I purchased an iPhone 3GS in September of 2009 on AT&T. I've been anxiously waiting the release of the new iPhone which people are speculating to be released sometime this winter. I have an Unlimited Data plan. If I choose to purchase a new iPhone at FULL NO COMMITMENT pricing without signing a new 2-year contract, could I still keep my unlimited data plan? Further, if I decide the new iPhone (4S/5, whatever) isn't up to my standards and decide to purchase an Android phone at full price without signing a new contract, could I still keep my Unlimited data plan?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this question has been asked before.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes, Yes, and Yes.
    Basically you keep your unlimited data unless you go to a phone thats not a smartphone or you manually remove it.

You can upgrade to any smartphone and keep your unlimited data plan.
    It doesn't matter if you buy it for full price or not.
    You can even sign a contract and keep your unlimited data plan (so no need to pay full price if you plan on stickig with AT&T).

3. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. One thing I'm little confused regarding the second question is when I look at my account, it says "Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone." If I were to purchase an Android or something other than an iPhone, couldn't AT&T pull some strings and say that it doesn't apply to the phone I just purchased? Further, how do you go about activating a new phone when you don't sign up for a new contract? Do I put the sim from my iPhone into that new one?

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I have moved from a iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S2, Blackberry 9780 and back again to the iPhone 4, on AT&T, and there is no problem in keeping your Unlimited Plan. As long as you never pick a NON-Unlimited Plan, AT&T claims you will always be able to keep it.

I am betting that sooner or later this will change, but not for now.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope, it will change into "Personal Unlimited Data for smartphone" or something like that. Basically, you keep it with any kind of smartphone. even blackberry or Windows phone.

Yeah, you can just move over your SIM card. The system will automatically change the data plan from iPhone unlimited to smartphone unlimited. If it doesn't, then just call AT&T and they'll do it. If the system automatically changes it into the 2GB plan (which it most likely wont), then just call AT&T and they'll put it back

6. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thanks guys for the information. One quick thing:

I decided to ask some "online AT&T live rep" regarding this and she was saying complete nonsense. Chat:

ME: I have an unlimited data plan with my iPhone 3GS. If I were to ever purchase a new phone such as a new version of the iPhone or an Android phone without signing a new 2-year agreement, could I still keep my unlimited data plan?
    REP: If you don't sign a contract the Unlimited Data Plan won't be offered.
    ME: So if I purchase an unlocked phone and try to use data on it (ie. web browsing) what happens?
    REP: If you're purchasing a Device through someone else other than AT&T you won't be able to keep you Data Plan.
    ME: So the data plan disappears from my account? I'm confused.
    REP: Correct Unlimited Data is no longer offered, if you're not Upgrading with a contract, you can't keep the Unlimited Data.
    REP: The DataPlus plan is $15 per month for 200MB of data. This plan is designed for people who primarily surf the Web, send email, and use social networking apps. The overage charge is $15 for another 200MB.
    REP: The DataPro plan is $25 per month for 2GB of data (10x as much data as the DataPlus plan). This plan is designed for people who regularly download or stream music and video, or use other high-bandwidth applications. The overage charge is $10 for another 1GB.

ME: Right but if I don't sign up for those plans and just purchase a new phone how exactly would those apply?
    ME: I'm asking if I purchase a new phone and don't change my cell-phone plan, why exactly would my plan get changed?
    REP: This is the way the system is arranged, and being that Unlimited Data is no longer offered this is not an option in the system.
    ME: I see. However, it appears that your own website (AT&T Support Forums) says otherwise
    REP: I understand! If you do see where you are able to keep Unlimited Data without Upgrading with a Device from AT&T directly, then you will be able to keep this Plan.
    REP: If you purchase a new Device as I mentioned before you can keep your Data Feature as Unlimited.
    ME: This is a direct contraction to what you mentioned earlier.
    REP: I'm sorry if you read our conversation, I did tell you this exact information.
    REP: I'm sorry if you misunderstood me, but I have researched this Chat also and above this information is mentioned to you.

:confused:

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The representative lied to make you buy a phone from them. Everything in that chat is nonsense.

It doesn't matter which smartphone you buy or where you buy it from, you can still keep your unlimited data. Even if you sign a new 2-year contract, you are still "grandfathered" into the unlimited data plan. Hope that answers your questions.

8. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

:eek: Really? So if I sign a new 2-year contract I can keep my unlimited data plan and that applies to all smartphones or just the iPhone? Thank you very much.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You are correct.
    You can sign a new 2-year contract and keep your unlimited data plan with any smartphone.

That's why I suggested you sign a contract if you plan on staying with AT&T since it will be cheaper than buying the phone full price. AT&T charges the same rate each month whether you buy a phone from them or bring one on your own.

10. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'm so happy the OP posted this question. I'm about to be in the same boat come September...I've had my 3GS since January 2010 and have my upgrade coming. I've been wondering how it would work with my unlimited data plan and whether I'd be able to keep it if I upgrade to the next iPhone or another smart phone.

Thanks for the info!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You don't lose your unlimited data plan for upgrading nor for switching phones; I switch phones all the time; I can put my Blackberry SIM (with a data plan that reads "Unlimited Data for Blackberry") into my iPhone, Focus, etc.; same thing with my iPhone SIM [with an adapter] into any of my other devices; never had an issue and I don't seen one coming along; I've spoken with many informed AT&T agents and they have all agreed that no device changes will affect grandfathered unlimited data plans.

However I have warn if you have the unlimited international data plan, then you need to upgrade your device in an AT&T store and not at an Apple Store (because the latter will flag your account as having an non-eligible data plan); of course if you buy the device off-contract, this is non-issue.