Question about walking

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dephanix, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Dephanix macrumors member

Hey.

Just a quick question. Sometimes when walking my dog I will hold the lead with the same hand as the watch will live. This means it won't "swing" as much. Will the iPhone in my pocket recognise my walking as well and let the watch know?

Cheers

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

If you have your iPhone on you then the two are going to know that you're out for a walk by the GPS. So I'm sure you'll be ok.

4. RayDonovan macrumors regular

RayDonovan

Just get rid of the dog. We can't have anything interfering with our apple watches. :D

5. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

One leg in front of the other. Repeat.

:D

6. ElctrcJellyfish macrumors member

My Fitbit can figure it out without GPS. Sometimes it doesn't register as much movement, but it's pretty close.

I assume Apple will be at least on par with the Fitbit.

7. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

I walk sometimes reading Twitter or ebooks on the iPhone 6+ and it accurately measures my steps even though I am holding it relatively steady. I have compared steps recorded on known trips with reading and with the phone in my jeans pocket and they match well.

So I think the watch will do just as well, if not better as it has the M7 in the iPhone as a second source.

So give it a go. Try one street and then repeat with the other hand and see what happens.

8. bearda macrumors 6502

+1. Most pedometers don't pick up on your arm swinging, they pick up on the motion when your foot hits the ground.

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I have a greyhound. :eek:

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I don't always swing my arm with my fitbit (that's the side where I hold my purse) but it still counts steps. I think Apple Watch will do so as well.

----------

Me too. :cool:

11. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

+2. I can clip my iPod Nano to my belt while hiking, and it still counts my steps without a problem.