Question About When To Use My Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teamjaycub, Nov 22, 2013.

1. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

I am an AT&T customer and I am currently eligible for a new 2-year agreement upgrade.

My current phone is a Galaxy S4, but I want to have an iPhone again. (I'm done experimenting with Android).

I definitely don't want to wait for the iPhone 6 to release before I switch back to iPhone. So, that means I'll be getting an iPhone 5s. (But I also want to get an iPhone 6 on launch day)

Here are the options I came up with:

1. Use my current upgrade now to get 5s, and sell GS4 to cover cost of 5s.(And sell 5s to help get 6).

2. Sell GS4 and use that money to partially pay for an iPhone 5s at full retail, then use my upgrade on the iPhone 6 when it comes out

tl;dr Should I use my upgrade on the 5s now, or on the iPhone 6 later? (I will be getting both phones)

Which option should I go with?

Thanks!

2. lloose macrumors newbie

You can try AT&Ts new one year thing (I dont remember what its called). Other than that I think they have a regular one year contract that doesn't have any special terms other than you pay more up front for the phone. I wouldn't want to pay +$800 for an off contract phone, thats just me though.

I feel your pain with android. I sold my S4 and just bought an on contract 32gb 5s. Coudln't be happier.

3. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Well, it doesn't look like the iPhone is offered on a one-year contract from AT&T, at least not online. This may be different in the stores, so call your local corporate store and ask if they're offering one-year contracts for the 5S and what the price would be for one.

IMHO, I would go ahead and sell the S4 then purchase the 5S outright. For example, say you fetch $450 for your S4 (this is around the going price for S4's in my region of Los Angeles). You'd then be paying $200+tax for a new off-contract and unlocked 5S. Your upgrade stays intact for next year's 6, and you'd have an unlocked 5S ready to sell or keep as a backup or travel iPhone if you so choose. Effectively, the S4 is now your subsidy, all without any upgrade fees or losing that future subsidy for the potentially-larger iPhone 6.

I hope this helps!

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What this guy said. By the way, AT&T's every year upgrade option is called AT&T Next. You do pay more over time. However, you do have to trade in the phone you are using currently to get the next one. In other words, if you get the 5S and decide to upgrade to the 6, then you have to give AT&T your 5S and then you'll get a new 6.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

There is no point in paying for a subsidized contract and not getting a phone. You are paying almost $20 a month toward a phone whether you get the phone or not. Why give that money to AT&T? Get a new phone now!

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

This guy is right. By not using the upgrade you're paying AT&T for a phone that you don't even have.

Use the subsidy and get the 5S now. Sell the GS4 to cover the cost. You might even have some cash leftover depending on which storage capacity iPhone you get.

When the 6 comes out just sell your 5S and pay the difference.

Never ever sit on an upgrade. You're just giving your carrier extra money if you do. Unless you just like making donations to AT&T's coffers.

7. bushman4 macrumors 68000

If you do the math your paying the same thing regardless iof what senario you use. The only variable is how much you get for the phone you currently have