question about why I should buy mbp...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onepie, Jan 11, 2011.

1. onepie, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

onepie macrumors newbie

couple weeks ago, my PC that i've had for many years (8 years) burned out on me. it was about time so i wasnt upset or anything. so i've been wanting to buy a new computer and now i'm in the "design" industry and i've used macs at work and school and anywhere else except my home. and people used to tell me how can you NOT have an apple if you're in design. well, i got by.

anyways, since my PC is gone, i wanted to buy a new computer and i thought about buying mbp (my first laptop) but it seems like the update release got a little wacky this year unfortunately. so i was browsing around for more info and it seems like apple products aren't "top of the line" as they say in the tech. so why do people buy them? why should i wait until feb or march to buy a product that everyone kind of hypes up and costs so much more to have specs that's not really worth the money? am i paying extra for the name "apple"? i know it's "more reliable" "virus free" "safer" "user friendly" etc but i've used my PC desktop for 8 years with some problems granted but i did get by fine. and it seems like if your apple breaks down for some reason, it's better to buy a new one than to get it fixed usually right? i think they're saying it may cost more to fix it than to buy a new one.

anyways, i just want to know why i should buy a mac other than the fact that they look pretty and it's the cool thing to have. why do YOU have a mac? thanks!!!

2. freddy-b, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011

freddy-b macrumors regular

i have been in the same position as you.. and i acctualy dont know why i bought a mac. But all i can say.. is you'll fall in love when you get it, thats for sure.. its just an amazing pice of equiptment.. :) Buy it! its awsome!

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I bought a Mac because of the OS. Mac OSX blows windows out of the water. Everything is so much easier to do. Not to mention the battery on my mbp last twice as long as any other windows laptop I have used.

4. simsaladimbamba

There is an often repeated mantra here: BUY NOW, IF YOU NEED NOW. WAIT, IF YOU CAN WAIT.
    With that out of the way, many people buying MBPs now are often in need of one or don't really car, that a better one (faster CPU, better specs) might be on the horizon. The same is true for all computers. As soon as you buy a computer, it is already outdated in terms of specs. But the current specs of the current MBPs might be more than enough for your needs anyway.

And regarding the repair costs: Apple provides a one year warranty for all defects of the hardware that were "caused" by them, like a dying GPU or port or HDD. You can prolong that warranty for two more years to a three year warranty by purchasing Apple Care.
    If your MBP is developing a fault not caused by using it or damaging it and you still have warranty or Apple Care, Apple provides a free repair.

5. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I'm in a similar situation. I want to retire my 7 year old dell laptop soon since it's starting to slow down. Lol it's crazy when people say only apple laptops last long isn't it.

I want to buy a mbp too when the update comes out and I'll try to walk you by my reasoning for buying one.

yes they're not as top of the line as people claim. yes they're build quality is exceptional but so are other pc models. I don't have a problem with osx or windows 7 so that's not an issue, I actually think I may prefer windows 7 and will put that on the mbp. I don't think they're more reliable either. Most people I know who have pc laptops (even $500 lappys) have made their laptops run well for 4+ years. Yes it is more virus free and it will remain so for a very long time until apple has enough of the market share to give virus makers enough incentive to even make a virus for apple.

The reason I want to buy a mbp is because I love the premium feel they have in the hardware. I'm also buying a mbp because I plan to own one for a 1-1.5 year and sell it for 90% of it's cost and buy the latest updated version. so pretty much the only reason I'm buying it is so I can have the latest technology at all times (I think apple will use the latest generation tech from now on)while not spending so much money. Apple laptops have fantastic resale value and hold their value extremely well.

6. redkamel macrumors 6502

-more reliable hardware, more stable os
    -I like the os more
    -most software I need is free or low cost
    -outdates slower (in terms of use/speed, not stats)
    -less bugs, no bloatware, little malware
    -excellent customer support: iv never paid for a Mac repair in 9 years even out of warranty
    -accessories/software made by Mac mean I dont have to worry about drivers and such
    -I like the file system more

7. simsaladimbamba

The Mac OS X Malware Myth Continues

8. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I have my own reasons to pay the premium price. If you're undecided by a PC.

9. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

You've answered your own question!

Seriously, a Mac is the perfect marriage of hardware and software. Apple designs everything. You can expect a more stable and all around more consistent experience from a Mac. Most seasoned Mac owners will tell you that their Mac works just as well today as it did out of the box 3 or 4 years ago.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Apple versus Windows debates. They are what they are. You say you use Macs at work. Then you should have a better understanding than most on what it brings to your personal computing needs.

For me, I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Boot Camped onto my MBP. I have both operating systems on 1 laptop. They both operate at lightning fast speeds...and I can transfer data from the Windows side while logged into the Mac side without issues. Do that with an HP or Dell PC!

Cosmo

10. msavwah macrumors 6502

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Alas, they don't build them like they used to though.

I just helped a family member resurrect and tweak his old Gateway he's been using since '03. The damn thing is built like a tank. Mostly metal casing. It's hefty but feels quite solid.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

It also depends on whether you're looking at consumer systems where the priority is to jam the highest spec hardware into the lowest cost box or looking at what I call "business class" systems such as Thinkpads or Latitudes where there's more of a focus on build quality. (though even in that category there's been a bit of a reduction in how solidly they're built)

Macbook Pro's are best compared to business class systems in terms of component and build quality.

Why I switched to my MBP13: I wanted something lighter/thinner/smaller than my Thinkpad T400 yet also needed firewire and the ability to expand above 4GB RAM. I also kind of wanted to try something different, but didn't feel like messing with Linux.

Looking at 13 to 14" one-inch thick laptops narrowed the field a lot, and Microcenter's $999 price for the base MBP13 won me over. Especially as I was able to wait and buy an open-box system for another $100 off (in exchange for someone else having opened the box and returning it, thus the warranty started a week before I bought it)

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I just bought and set up a dozen Lenovos for my company (T410's). Even Lenovo has taken a turn for the worse in build quality IMO. Mainly they shed "sturdiness" in materials just to lose a few ounces.

Completely agree. This was the reason I switched. I couldn't care less about OSX.[/quote]

I'm looking to buy 2 MBP13's in the next couple of months. If I don't like what the next iteration brings I hope to get some good prices on the current C2D's.

14. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

At the risk of straying from the topic, with the newer T series Thinkpads, it seems the move towards internal structural elements with a skin creates a perception problem compared to systems where the external case is the prime structural element.

This is just my opinion of course, so take it with a grain of salt. The anecdotal piece I'll add is that my T400 served me very well for two and a half years and is now in my wife's possession. Apart from the most frequently used keyboard keys getting polished from use, it's as good as it was brand new.

Back to MBPs -- I think that compactness is a factor a lot of potential buyers don't consider when evaluating system. Sure you can get a lot of CPU in a cheap plastic box from many manufacturers, but battery life and compactness are areas in which the MBPs excel. Many users simply don't need the latest/greatest CPUs and architecture for their usage.

16. onepie, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

onepie thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm thanks guys... it seems like everyone has only good things to say about it.
    it was good to find out what other reasons why mbp was the way to go. i'm excited to get it and try it!!! hopefully it comes out sooooooon.

i have 2 friends who bought their mbp at the same time together same specs, model etc. i think it's been 3-4 years now since but one of them used it a lot more than the other and they told me that the one that's been used more is definitely noticeably slower to the point where she is groaning for it to load. so im thinking it's not always true that it's just as fast when you first bought it. the other one however, has only been used couple hrs a day for light internet surfing and etc. and that one is supposedly still pretty fast. so it depends on the use?

do you guys recommend to buy the applecare warranty? how many years?
    it seems like a lot of people get their fixes for free even after their warranty expires. hmmm??
    and just in case, where is a good reliable place to buy refurb mbps?

17. alt macrumors regular

Macs and PC's are = for design. People who say otherwise are just dumb. That USED to be a factor, it isn't anymore. I can't stand when people say "well I can see using a mac if you are in design"..lulz just sayin

18. onepie thread starter macrumors newbie

yea... i actually told people that i can do all the things in mac on my pc and they would just ignore me. i never had a complaint using a PC that's why i'm kind of skeptical why i should buy a mbp in the first place. but i think i will get it and try it for myself.

19. alt macrumors regular

You should buy a mac if YOU WANT to. Thats the whole thing..its not gonna make you better at anything thats for sure.

Buy a mac because you want a mac.

The only justification I have for owning macbooks is this...They hold their value and being a "techie"...I gotta stay on top of the game. Being able to resale and buy the new models every year is just GREAT for me. Can't do that with a windows based laptop (esp a desktop)...harder to sell..and you can barely get anything for them a year later. SUCKS but its just the way it is.
    '

Plus they just look nice :D and dealing with apple care is easier than trying to get your HP fixed etc.