Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Someone has my ip and I was wondering can they track my address down and find where i live?

thanks

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Sorry. You have to assume they can locate you. Check your local laws and contact law enforcement.

That's a scary situation to be in. Don't give the stalker any opportunities. Makes sure you walk places with friends and let people know where you are. Things like that. Best of luck to you.

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Sorry. You have to assume they can locate you. Check your local laws and contact law enforcement.

That's a scary situation to be in. Don't give the stalker any opportunities. Makes sure you walk places with friends and let people know where you are. Things like that. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is it realistic to refer to someone who lives half a continent from you, as a stalker?

If you know their email address, you can certainly block incoming emails from them, or choose not to ever open anything that they might send.
As they are not local to you - you can choose to not contact them.
And, you should have attempted to block their email address, telephone number and blocked text messages, too.

There's probably not a lot more that you can do, other than contacting law enforcement, but I don't know what they can do when the person lives hundreds of miles from you, in another country.
Don't try to contact that person through any method, even to complain. Don't respond to emails, texts, etc. Not sure how effective it would be to actively refuse any items that you might receive. The idea is to avoid giving this person any additional opportunity to annoy you.

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
Absolutely you can be stalked by someone miles away. Cyber stalking can be terrifying. It is also illegal in many countries. I would start by contacting your own law enforcement agency and then they can contact the one in his home town.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Stop worrying about an IP address. I'm not sure about Europe but in the US a surprising amount of personal information is public record. And what isn't is often available for a fee. Think background checks and PIs.

Since the stalker isn't exactly close, I agree with the others who said break all contact. Chances are they'll get bored and turn their attention elsewhere. If it persists, definitely seek LE help.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Is it realistic to refer to someone who lives half a continent from you, as a stalker?

If you know their email address, you can certainly block incoming emails from them, or choose not to ever open anything that they might send.
As they are not local to you - you can choose to not contact them.
And, you should have attempted to block their email address, telephone number and blocked text messages, too.

There's probably not a lot more that you can do, other than contacting law enforcement, but I don't know what they can do when the person lives hundreds of miles from you, in another country.
Don't try to contact that person through any method, even to complain. Don't respond to emails, texts, etc. Not sure how effective it would be to actively refuse any items that you might receive. The idea is to avoid giving this person any additional opportunity to annoy you.

The advice usually given is to write a short, polite - but very clearly stated- and quite explicitly written note, - that is, one email, or letter, requesting that the person cease all contact with you, and not attempt to contact you through third parties. This is so they cannot delude themselves into thinking that you still desire contact and are in no doubt that you do not wish to hear from them.

Stop worrying about an IP address. I'm not sure about Europe but in the US a surprising amount of personal information is public record. And what isn't is often available for a fee. Think background checks and PIs.

Since the stalker isn't exactly close, I agree with the others who said break all contact. Chances are they'll get bored and turn their attention elsewhere. If it persists, definitely seek LE help.

From what I can recall, this is not the first thread the OP has attempted to start on the subject, but it is a serious subject, and irrespective of where the stalker is, it can be rather unnerving to be on the receiving end of such unwelcome attention.

Unfortunately, stalkers tend to be obsessional, and extraordinarily persistent. Aside from entitlement issues, they can be extremely creative. Equally unfortunately, boredom does not usually happen to stalkers , - not when they are thinking about how to resume contact with the object of their pursuit - because their resentment (that someone else took the autonomous decision to end the relationship - whether it was a relationship of colleagues, friends, or something more intimate) fuels their obsessional fury and resentment. In their minds, only they have permission to set the terms on which the relationship starts and ends.

To the OP, block everything, warn common acquaintances that they might be contacted, set up new email addresses, get a new phone number. To be honest, I doubt that IP is relevant.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm assuming, but if you erased your initial post to replace it with this, you are doing a disservice to the discussion. People replied to your question and now that's gone. You might as well ask the mods to delete this thread.

With respect, I disagree.

The OP asked a specific question about stalking, and one thing anyone who has been on the receiving end of such attention will confirm is how persistent, inventive, creative, and obsessively determined stalkers tend to be.

If the stalker knows that the OP posts here, and under what name, she (and, unfortunately, most of the people on the receiving end of a stalker's attentions tend to be female, Hollywood's world view notwithstanding), the OP might have come to the prudent position that it is better to erase their initial post.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
With respect, I disagree.

The OP asked a specific question about stalking, and one thing anyone who has been on the receiving end of such attention will confirm is how persistent, inventive, creative, and obsessively determined stalkers tend to be.

If the stalker knows that the OP posts here, and under what name, she (and, unfortunately, most of the people on the receiving end of a stalker's attentions tend to be female, Hollywood's world view notwithstanding), the OP might have come to the prudent position that it is better to erase their initial post.

Disagreement accepted, but I'm being pragmatic, nothing personal. If the gist of the thread has been erased, then IMO might as well delete the thread in its entirety, especially if the stalker knows she posts here and her name.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Disagreement accepted, but I'm being pragmatic, nothing personal. If the gist of the thread has been erased, then IMO might as well delete the thread in its entirety, especially if the stalker knows she posts here and her name.

But it - the thread - might be of some assistance to others who have been on the receiving end of such unwelcome and persistent attentions and may welcome some support and/or suggestions.

The truth of the matter is that stalking happens far more frequently than is often realised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.