Question: Apple Pay Settings In "Payment & Shipping"

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by purdnost, Jun 24, 2019.

1. purdnost macrumors newbie

purdnost

Settings > [my name] > Payment & Shipping > Payment Methods > any card

There is an option in each of my card screens to link the card with Apple Pay. I'm not sure what this does since I have been paying with my cards in the Wallet app for a while now with no problem.

Does anyone have any insight as to what changes when linking these cards to Apple Pay? Thanks.

2. lartola macrumors 6502

lartola

I believe it enables access to Apple Pay from the Appstore and iTunes, so that now you can also use Apple Pay to pay for all your digital purchases. It is a recent change made by Apple.

3. purdnost thread starter macrumors newbie

purdnost

Before I linked it to Apple Pay, I was using the same Visa that I use for Apple Pay now. Just curious what the difference between paying with my card vs paying with the same card with “Apple Pay” is.

4. cynics macrumors G4

5. lartola, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019

lartola macrumors 6502

lartola

The difference is that your actual card details are no longer sent to iTunes or the Appstore when you make a purchase using Apple Pay, as they were when you had to use your actual card, but rather the device account number is sent instead. Also unlike when using the actual card, charges for purchases from iTunes or the Appstore made using Apple Pay will be listed in Wallet under 'recent transactions' for whatever card you used to make the purchases.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 7, 2019 ---
    Yeah, but not only that. As I said before, it is also for enabling the use of Apple Pay to pay for purchases on iTunes and the Appstore.

6. cynics macrumors G4

I wasn't implying otherwise. I just meant anything that your Apple ID was used for.